U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,138 times

Advertisements

I've been a frequent reader of these forums for several years, and figured now's the time to ask my own questions. I'm a recent grad, mid-twenties female hoping to leave the Indiana cornfields for something a bit cozier. Eventually the plan is to open my own bakery - am currently working at one, but I have a business degree and am willing to return to a desk job/management position to support myself.

Honestly, I'm the Mayberry type (I know, don't slap me!) - I grew up in a small community and though I appreciate the entertainment of big city life, it's comforting to live in semi tight-knit place. I don't need to know all of my neighbors by name and be able to run into a friend every time I stop at the grocery, but the sentiment is certainly nice.

I love the mountains and lush nature, and enjoy a coastal atmosphere. In perspective, if you've seen the Safe Haven film, I adore the female lead's quaint wooded home and the shoreline setting. I believe the film was set in Southport, NC - though I have a feeling the town as portrayed might be a bit too small for practicality.

I'm not necessarily looking for a place bustling with things to do on the regular, though I enjoy town heritage (things like festivals, fairs, etc.). Frankly, I simply want to relocate to someplace with a beautiful atmosphere. After reading up a bit, Greenville seems like a great city to work in, and I wouldn't mind commuting as an option - or living there, I suppose. My heart is simply in a smaller town.

I'm intrigued with the entire East Coast, though the Carolinas especially have caught my eye. Not looking for an especially affluent location, but I don't want that to be a hindrance to finding a small town that fits... if it's out there.

I'd appreciate any guidance and thoughts! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:19 PM

71 posts, read 80,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianatohome View Post
I've been a frequent reader of these forums for several years, and figured now's the time to ask my own questions. I'm a recent grad, mid-twenties female hoping to leave the Indiana cornfields for something a bit cozier. Eventually the plan is to open my own bakery - am currently working at one, but I have a business degree and am willing to return to a desk job/management position to support myself.

Honestly, I'm the Mayberry type (I know, don't slap me!) - I grew up in a small community and though I appreciate the entertainment of big city life, it's comforting to live in semi tight-knit place. I don't need to know all of my neighbors by name and be able to run into a friend every time I stop at the grocery, but the sentiment is certainly nice.

I love the mountains and lush nature, and enjoy a coastal atmosphere. In perspective, if you've seen the Safe Haven film, I adore the female lead's quaint wooded home and the shoreline setting. I believe the film was set in Southport, NC - though I have a feeling the town as portrayed might be a bit too small for practicality.

I'm not necessarily looking for a place bustling with things to do on the regular, though I enjoy town heritage (things like festivals, fairs, etc.). Frankly, I simply want to relocate to someplace with a beautiful atmosphere. After reading up a bit, Greenville seems like a great city to work in, and I wouldn't mind commuting as an option - or living there, I suppose. My heart is simply in a smaller town.

I'm intrigued with the entire East Coast, though the Carolinas especially have caught my eye. Not looking for an especially affluent location, but I don't want that to be a hindrance to finding a small town that fits... if it's out there.

I'd appreciate any guidance and thoughts! Thank you!!
Greenville isn't a coastal town. It is closer to the coast than Indiana, if that is what you mean. But it is near the mountains. It is a good 3.5 hours to the beach.

Southport is a nice little town, my parents used to live there. They lived right next to the ferry that you can take up to Wilmington NC.

Greenville really isn't a "small town". Is is one of the largest metroes in SC. It has a small town vibe downtown but they estimated there was about 50,000 people downtown on 4th of July for the fireworks and that is in addition to people who live there. That kind of thing doesn't happen in small towns. lol

Southport is a small town. I guess you could call it quant, it has a place to eat on the harbor where boats can pull up. It is small but it is also fairly close to Wilmington. You could just look at Wilmington which is small enough. It has a nice downtown area.

IN Southport, They shoot fireworks off of r these barges on the river in front of the downtown park which gets packed out with people on July 4th. Probably the best July 4th atmosphere I've see in my 36 years.

In the Carolinas, there aren't mountains or big bluffs right on the coast.

Aiken is probably the closet thing to a Mayberry type of town in SC. A great downtown area for a small town. Greenwood might be that in some ways. I'd probably say Summerville too but it has kind of being swallowed up by the Charleston metro now. Hartsville and Beaufort might fit that description in some ways.

Simpsonville outside of Greenville kind of has an old school railroad town look to it.

Seneca near the mountains could possibly be a Mayberry to some.

A lot of young women, hell, a lot of old women, like the Mount Pleasant area of Charleston across the harbor from downtown. It isn't really a Mayberry though. You'd be near the beach though.

Last edited by Clempson; 07-06-2014 at 07:45 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 PM

4,382 posts, read 6,071,677 times
Perhaps Greenville, North Carolina is being confused for Greenville, South Carolina? Greenville, North Carolina is more of a college city. Greenville, South Carolina is more industrialized and commercial. Much larger urban area. If you did mean South Carolina, Travelers Rest has a nice feel and is very close to Greenville.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
Greenville isn't a coastal town. It is closer to the coast than Indiana, if that is what you mean. But it is near the mountains. It is a good 3.5 hours to the beach.

Southport is a nice little town, my parents used to live there. They lived right next to the ferry that you can take up to Wilmington NC.

Greenville really isn't a "small town". Is is one of the largest metroes in SC. It has a small town vibe downtown but they estimated there was about 50,000 people downtown on 4th of July for the fireworks and that is in addition to people who live there. That kind of thing doesn't happen in small towns. lol

Southport is a small town. I guess you could call it quant, it has a place to eat on the harbor where boats can pull up. It is small but it is also fairly close to Wilmington. You could just look at Wilmington which is small enough. It has a nice downtown area.

Yes, sorry! I had two different trains of thought going. Mostly, my thought is if a small coastal town isn't an option, Greenville seems like a decent place to at least be near the mountains. 3.5 hours is still better than 13! In thinking about employment availability, that's really why it crossed my mind.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll have to look into Wilmington and Aiken... and a few of the others - my only real experience with SC has been quick visits to Charleston. Gorgeous, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Compared to where I am now, I'm happy to drive a few hours to enjoy different landscapes. I already commute daily, so I don't mind continuing on in that fashion if need be.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 PM

71 posts, read 80,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianatohome View Post
Yes, sorry! I had two different trains of thought going. Mostly, my thought is if a small coastal town isn't an option, Greenville seems like a decent place to at least be near the mountains. 3.5 hours is still better than 13! In thinking about employment availability, that's really why it crossed my mind.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll have to look into Wilmington and Aiken... and a few of the others - my only real experience with SC has been quick visits to Charleston. Gorgeous, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Compared to where I am now, I'm happy to drive a few hours to enjoy different landscapes. I already commute daily, so I don't mind continuing on in that fashion if need be.
Another good idea is Southern Pines / Pinehurst in NC. It is a golf resort town basically and really has a Mayberry look to it. If you exclude everything else like location that is my ideal town.
It is an expensive area though and probably more retirees than younger people. Aiken is kind of an affordable and "working man" version of Southern Pines.

You might could consider Florence which is a smaller town. The west Florence area is nice and affordable area, but only 1 hour from the beach. Along Cherokee Road is nice around the Florence Country Club and Timrod Park. The downtown is nothing special but they are trying to get it going, if downtowns are important to you.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 AM

226 posts, read 264,514 times
I'm from Aiken, it is really beautiful there. Bustling downtown with shops and restaurants, all the 'necessities' as far as a small mall, movie theater, art scene, grocery stores, etc. and Augusta, GA is about 20 minutes away for anything bigger.
I've heard Florence is nice, but have never been.
I have friends that live north of Wilmington, in Holly Ridge, and they love the entire area - big fans of Southport. If you're interested in being near Greenville there are several smaller towns around the metro area. Traveler's Rest is really cute and I also like Greer. Greer has a really nice downtown.
Coastal areas - Bluffton/Beaufort is nice. It is like Charleston but smaller. Walterboro is starting to get nicer also. Its about an hour from Chucktown. I have friends on Mt. Pleasant and they like it. Georgetown and Pawley's Island are also really nice areas. My old boss lived in Pawley's for a few years and loved it. Marion and Conway are also nice little areas nearish to Myrtle Beach.
Good luck on your decision!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:42 PM

I'm back! Sorry for the delay in responses. You each have been so helpful! The towns you've mentioned have me excited to move out there - thanks for giving me a place to start instead of stressing over search engine results. Driving through the states isn't exactly feasible without any kind of destination in mind, so this is perfect. I'll be researching them in my down time until my final internship is up.

Thank you!!

Old 07-23-2014, 11:18 AM

43 posts, read 52,586 times
My wife and I are from Wilmington and had lived there since our early teens until we moved to Greenville a few years ago. We were 20-somethings not too long ago and honestly, IMO, it's not where you'd go to make a living. It is a college town with an adorable downtown area, so it has history and charm, but wages are low and cost-of-living is high. This will present some challenges for you as you try to launch a business.

We love Greenville because it's a perfect balance of opportunity and charm. Wages are higher compared to the lower cost-of-living, and there is always something to do around here. If you opened a bakery in this area, there are a lot of places you could do it successfully. And there are many smaller towns around Greenville that have that charm you're looking for. Greer/Taylors just had a small cupcake place close due to personal reasons beyond the owner's control. It was doing very well here while in business.

Seneca is a great suggestion. I'd also consider Traveler's Rest, Pickens, and Greer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area