U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 AM

48 posts, read 126,507 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So my wife and I moved to this area about three years ago from NJ. We love it down here, bought a house and made some great friends. All that is missing is that we want to expand our family. We've been told that we cannot have children the good old fashioned way and that IVF is our only solution. Unfortunately, not many employers offer health benefits in this area that include fertility coverage. South Carolina is not one of the states required to cover it:

Mandated Coverage of Infertility Treatment | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Can any of you tell me if your current employers cover fertility services (IVF, ART, ICSI) as part of your benefits package?

I know GHS offers it as part of their benefits package, but I've trying to get a job with them for quite sometime. I work in IT and now they've moved to outside contractors for their IT work. Contractors do not get the same benefits as perm employees.

I've heard that Walgreens and CVS may offer it since they are headquartered in states that are mandated to provide coverage. Can anyone confirm this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. We've always been interested in adopting, even before we met each other. The paperwork is already in and we started the process to adopt in SC. We've been warned that it could take 2-3 years. With or without IVF, we still plan to adopt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:10 AM

590 posts, read 693,933 times
Are you willing to travel? Depending on what type of background you have in IT, you might want to consider jumping IT consulting world. Most of the bigger companies (The big 4, Oracle, SAP, IBM etc) still hire W2 employees with full benefits. Most will let their consultants live anywhere in the US with 100% travel as condition of employment. Typical work week is 4 nights on the road and home on the weekends. Its certainly not for everyone and can turn into a grind after a while, but the pay and the benefits are pretty solid. Many also offer adoption benefits which will reimburse some portion of the adoption expenses.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 PM

48 posts, read 126,507 times
Thanks for responding vtmike! Yes, I am willing to travel. I am currently an IT Manager and travel frequently in the country and a few times of the year internationally. Although I do work with SAP, I have much to learn before I can be a consultant.

I was offered a job in NJ last week with AMAZING benefits. But I would have to take a pretty big pay cut. It's a difference of 7k, but when you figure cost of living, I'd be losing $34k.

Relocating would be a nightmare. I cannot sell my home in its current state, I have MANY repairs to do. Renting in NJ is very expensive. A 3bd rm 1,000 sqft apartment would run me around $1800 a month.

I was hoping to get a part-time at a place like CVS if they covered what we need.

Things are still up in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or