U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,211,928 times

Advertisements

Renting a pontoon boat this Friday at Hartwell Marina for a day on Lake Hartwell with my family and friends. First time actually navigating the lake, usually just on the beach/shore.

I heard there are several parks on the islands in the middle of the lake. Also any recommendations of where to dock and have lunch or other things to see while on the lake? We have the pontoon for 8 hours.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:41 AM

506 posts, read 997,960 times
I've never heard of a park on an island or seen one and I've spent a lot of time on Lake Hartwell. People frequently park their boats on miscellaneous empty islands and do a cookout, hang a hammock, play frisby, drop some chairs, etc. You basically just make your own fun. Every time I go to Lake Hartwell that's what I do, bring a bunch of chairs, supplies, etc, and parkt he boat on an island, offload everything, and then spend time on the island and on the boat split.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
I've never heard of a park on an island or seen one and I've spent a lot of time on Lake Hartwell. People frequently park their boats on miscellaneous empty islands and do a cookout, hang a hammock, play frisby, drop some chairs, etc. You basically just make your own fun. Every time I go to Lake Hartwell that's what I do, bring a bunch of chairs, supplies, etc, and parkt he boat on an island, offload everything, and then spend time on the island and on the boat split.
Good info. So do you anchor the boat right off the beach or are there docks available?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 AM

126 posts, read 173,994 times
Whatever you do, don't eat the fish.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:04 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,442,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Good info. So do you anchor the boat right off the beach or are there docks available?
Anchor in the sand. Be careful of the winds and make sure you are deep enough to not run aground. All islands are public property since it's owned by army corps probably why someone called it a park (thinking national park). The islands are just empty, unkempt land with a bit of a shore and trees.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
We drive the boat (slowly obviously, while putting the trim up when we get close) right up onto the sand and then push it back off when we're done. We see tons of pontoon boats doing the same thing.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:28 AM

Thanks for all the great tips.

Lastly, my wife would like to do lunch at one of the cities along the lake. Any recommendations of where to dock and have a bite to eat right on the lake?

Old 07-10-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great tips.

Lastly, my wife would like to do lunch at one of the cities along the lake. Any recommendations of where to dock and have a bite to eat right on the lake?
You'll probably be stuck eating at the Marina - I know there are probably other places but to get from the Marina to them in a Pontoon boat on the lake will take a really long time. Lake Hartwell is HUGE. We usually stop at the Arby's/Love's at Exit 4 on our way to the dock and bring our food with us and have a picnic on the beach/boat. Maybe someone else knows of a place though.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM

11,467 posts, read 25,689,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
You'll probably be stuck eating at the Marina - I know there are probably other places but to get from the Marina to them in a Pontoon boat on the lake will take a really long time. Lake Hartwell is HUGE. We usually stop at the Arby's/Love's at Exit 4 on our way to the dock and bring our food with us and have a picnic on the beach/boat. Maybe someone else knows of a place though.
I'm really surprised about this. I would think that the lakes would have more options to dock your boat and grab a bite to eat. I really think those type of places would do well along the lakes. I picture a restaurant with a big deck on the water with tables set up and people just hanging out, grabbing a bite to eat or a cold drink. Similar places like the Tiki Hut on Lake Keowee.

https://www.facebook.com/TikiHut

Old 07-10-2014, 01:09 PM

511 posts, read 1,307,818 times
There used to be a wing place but I'm sure it went out of business. Not sure if anything took it's place.

Pixie & Bill’s
1058 Tiger Blvd.
Clemson, SC 29631
http://www.tigergourmet.com/pixie_home.htm
864-654-1210
For boaters: Restaurant is just a short walk from the public boat docks at Abernathy Waterfront Park.
Open for lunch Mon-Fri and Dinner Mon. – Sat.
Elegant dining, American, seafood and steak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area