U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 07:37 AM

4,547 posts, read 5,841,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiis View Post
Thanks for the info, sounds like we won't bother with the Saluda this time of year. We are mainly looking for tubing, not rafting with a guide. My husband, 16 year old son, and myself actually went white water rafting in June, in Tennessee. A blast, of course, but we are wanting a more mild experience with our younger children (11 and 8), laid back, go at your own pace, kinda thing, so rafting with a guide is not what we are wanting. I'll look into the Tuck or Broad River. thxs!

Not sure what kind of tubing is up in Brevard, at beginning of the Pisgah Natl Forrest, and with Headwater Outfitters up that way too but I see tons of families with tubes up there during the summer. I will have to see what the Saluda has to offer at this time otherwise I may change plans too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:05 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,839,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

Not sure what kind of tubing is up in Brevard, at beginning of the Pisgah Natl Forrest, and with Headwater Outfitters up that way too but I see tons of families with tubes up there during the summer. I will have to see what the Saluda has to offer at this time otherwise I may change plans too.
I hadn't even thought of the French Broad in Rosman. That is a pretty gentle stream once you pass Headwaters Outfitters - kind of like the lazy river you described. Not sure how low or scrapey it might be this time of summer, though. If you hike into either the West Fork or North Fork above there, though, both are steep little creeks. The West Fork has several slides that might make for fun sliding rocks in the summer.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:55 PM

271 posts, read 633,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

I think you are referring to the Davidson River. Having lived just up the road from there, in Mills River (suburb of Hendersonville/Asheville), we went over to Pisgah quite often. Played on the Davidson River an the Coontree Spot and did Sliding Rock. The Davidson River is quite certainly a rear-end slider, even on the most rainiest of seasons , that I know. Thank you though!

Old 07-11-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ma View Post
You could rent single duckies, which are like these raft like kayaks, and go down the Nantahala River. You don't need a guide for that and many kids can do it although not sure if they have an age requirement on the duckies. . It is mostly class 1 and 2 rapids the whole way with few dead spots. The last one is a class 3 right before the take out point. I find this a lot more fun than the guide rafting trips.

Look at the Nantahala Outdoor Center website. I usually do a morning and afternoon trip on the same day and have lunch at the restaurant at the take out point.

You can also get the duckies on the French Broad, which has a lot more dead spots than the Nantahala but might be better for kids. The last rapid on the Nantahala has knocked me out of the duckie about 50 percent of my runs.
You have to be 60 pounds or 7 years old to paddle the Nanty in a rental raft or duckie. That policy is in place because the water in the Nantahala comes from the bottom of the lake and is ~55 year round.

As mentioned before, the Tuck is a better choice for younger kids. The rapids are easier and the water on the Tuck is generally in the 70s this time of year.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiis View Post
I think you are referring to the Davidson River. Having lived just up the road from there, in Mills River (suburb of Hendersonville/Asheville), we went over to Pisgah quite often. Played on the Davidson River an the Coontree Spot and did Sliding Rock. The Davidson River is quite certainly a rear-end slider, even on the most rainiest of seasons , that I know. Thank you though!
Headwaters Outfitters is located right where the North Fork and West Fork of the French Broad come together in Rosman. The Davidson River would likely be pretty scrapey this time of year. The well-known Sliding Rock is actually on Looking Glass Creek above Looking Glass Falls, a few miles above the confluence with the Davidson. There are a few spots on the Davidson above the Fish Hatchery that might make for good sliding rocks / swim holes in the summer. It is a fun little creek for kayaking when it is high in the early spring.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:58 AM

511 posts, read 1,309,223 times
I would be Leary. My step daughter cut her foot in there last week & is on heavy antibiotics. She has had extensive blood work done as soon as they found out where it happened. Rumor has it that some raw sewage got in there a few weeks ago but I cannot verify that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area