Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:56 PM

271 posts, read 792,883 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing alot of Groupon/Living Social deals for tubing on the Saluda River, in Easley. It's something my family would be interested in doing, but I just wanted to ask if any one has done that, and what the Saluda River is like?

-We've done tubing on Deep Creek, near Bryson City NC, and another time, in a river near Gatlinburg TN. Both were very shallow, and you spent alot of time dragging your rear-end over the rocks, and trying to get yourself unstuck. There were parts here and there that were deeper, and a few minor rapids.

-We've done tubing on the Ichetucknee River near Gainesville FL. That was a very smooth, pretty deep river. You basically floated along, like a lazy river concept. No getting stuck on the bottom, etc. Made it much more enjoyable with younger children.

What is the Saluda River like? Will it be more shallow, with rear-end rocks...or deeper, lazy river concept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 02:57 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,900,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiis View Post
I've been seeing alot of Groupon/Living Social deals for tubing on the Saluda River, in Easley. It's something my family would be interested in doing, but I just wanted to ask if any one has done that, and what the Saluda River is like?

-We've done tubing on Deep Creek, near Bryson City NC, and another time, in a river near Gatlinburg TN. Both were very shallow, and you spent alot of time dragging your rear-end over the rocks, and trying to get yourself unstuck. There were parts here and there that were deeper, and a few minor rapids.

-We've done tubing on the Ichetucknee River near Gainesville FL. That was a very smooth, pretty deep river. You basically floated along, like a lazy river concept. No getting stuck on the bottom, etc. Made it much more enjoyable with younger children.

What is the Saluda River like? Will it be more shallow, with rear-end rocks...or deeper, lazy river concept?
I've been seeing the deals as well. I was curious how it was also. We've tubed by Chimney Rock in NC and it was fun with no problems getting stuck. I down know how the Saluda River is though.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:17 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,990,956 times
I think the Saluda River is more of a lazy river with some falls at places. The course appears to run from below Saluda Dam to Old Easley Highway (South Carolina 124).

Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,256,301 times
The Saluda is going to be pretty low and scrapey this time of year. Even when it has water it is mostly a lazy river with a few rapids. The largest rapid can be seen just upstream of the bridge on Old Easley Bridge Rd. Not the cleanest water or best scenery by any stretch.

The Lower Green river near Saluda, NC would be a better choice. If you pick a day the river gets a release of water from the hydro plant above the Lower Green, you'll have plenty of water to have fun.

Deep Creek is a natural flow creek so it gets pretty low in the summer as well. The Creek near Gatlinburg was probably the Little River which would also be low and scrapey most of the summer.

Chimney Rock area is probably the Broad River - fed by a hydro plant similar to the lower Green, so it will have water on many days.

Another option with younger kids would be to go rafting on the Tuck Gorge near Dillsboro, NC. The water is cool but not cold. The rapids are fun but not very big - a fun afternoon adventure for the family. They rent tubes, inflatable kayaks, and rafts on the Tuck Gorge.

You could also try out sliding rock near Brevard, NC - a fun but crowded place to spend an afternoon. If you know the area, there are quite a few other similar sliding rocks that are less crowded.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,115,629 times
Carolina Knight is correct, its more of a lazy river. That being said, I am taking my 5 nieces and sister down it when they come for a visit in a couple weeks. I've done the Greene River twice last year. Once I killed my back on a huge rock I slammed in to when I didn't know better to lift up when you see a possible rock, and the second time I almost drowned when I hit a tree trunk, tube turned over and I got sucked into a hole. Can't wait to go again, but I'll take the kids on an easier one. I think my sister wants to take back the same number of kids she came with.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Carolina Knight is correct, its more of a lazy river. That being said, I am taking my 5 nieces and sister down it when they come for a visit in a couple weeks. I've done the Greene River twice last year. Once I killed my back on a huge rock I slammed in to when I didn't know better to lift up when you see a possible rock, and the second time I almost drowned when I hit a tree trunk, tube turned over and I got sucked into a hole. Can't wait to go again, but I'll take the kids on an easier one. I think my sister wants to take back the same number of kids she came with.
A better choice for a group like that might be a guided raft trip on the Tuck Gorge. If you get a guide, you have someone to help you navigate and have fun. The Tuck is pretty mild but still fun. One of several companies operating on the Tuck: North Carolina Rafting, Tubing, Family Rafting -Tuckaseegee River | Dillsboro River Company, 28275

Unless we get an unusual amount of rain, the Saluda is going to be miserably low in late July.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
A better choice for a group like that might be a guided raft trip on the Tuck Gorge. If you get a guide, you have someone to help you navigate and have fun. The Tuck is pretty mild but still fun. One of several companies operating on the Tuck: North Carolina Rafting, Tubing, Family Rafting -Tuckaseegee River | Dillsboro River Company, 28275

Unless we get an unusual amount of rain, the Saluda is going to be miserably low in late July.
Do you have to watch out/lift up for rocks on the Tuck.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post

Do you have to watch out/lift up for rocks on the Tuck?

Old 07-10-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Do you have to watch out/lift up for rocks on the Tuck?
There are some but it is a lot more open than the Lower Green and will have a decent level of water compared with the Saluda. It is commonly used as a practice ground for beginner kayakers. Just enough current to learn how to paddle but not enough to make things difficult. For family groups with younger kids I would suggest rafting with a guide. If you have older kids, you can rent inflatable kayaks that will make things a bit more interesting.

The Lower Saluda would be a better option earlier in the spring and summer when there is still more water.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM

271 posts, read 792,883 times
Thanks for the info, sounds like we won't bother with the Saluda this time of year. We are mainly looking for tubing, not rafting with a guide. My husband, 16 year old son, and myself actually went white water rafting in June, in Tennessee. A blast, of course, but we are wanting a more mild experience with our younger children (11 and 8), laid back, go at your own pace, kinda thing, so rafting with a guide is not what we are wanting. I'll look into the Tuck or Broad River. thxs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area