U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:23 PM

84 posts, read 106,896 times
We have mennonite family in sarasota and in plaincity oh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karoga View Post
We lived near a large Amish/Mennonite area in Ohio. I doubt there are many (if any) Amish around here. I know there are Mennonites in the Abbeville area and there are 2 Amish Resturants there also (run by Mennonites). The majority of the Amish live in PA, OH & IN. Mennonites tend to live in rural areas about anywhere.
FYI: a lot of the Ohio Amish & Mennonite vacation in the Sarasota area of Florida. My grandsons other grandfather "jumped the fence" and became "english" but still lives in the Amish area in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM

940 posts, read 1,454,369 times
Large Mennonite community in and around Abbeville SC with numerous businesses...building/construction, restaurants (Yoder's, Dutch Oven) and a terrific Bakery (Swartzentrubers. Probably more than those but those are the ones I utilize for services. Nice people and some I have spoken with have recently relocated to this area so it seems like their community is growing.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,804 times
I have been privileged enough to be with rather old order Amish in Ohio off and on during the last six months. Though I love modern appliances and conveniences, the Amish are truly onto 'something' with their way of life. I have been without tv by choice since '97 and am learning to simplify life even more after being with the Amish. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to live a more Amish lifestyle. I wish there were some in SC, I would be right there.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,571 times
I need an address or e mail. Our family is ready to go see and convert. E mail me at [email]silviatremanos@gmail.com[/email] We are in Greenville SC

Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 PM

940 posts, read 1,454,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Large Mennonite community in and around Abbeville SC with numerous businesses...building/construction, restaurants (Yoder's, Dutch Oven) and a terrific Bakery (Swartzentrubers. Probably more than those but those are the ones I utilize for services. Nice people and some I have spoken with have recently relocated to this area so it seems like their community is growing.
And an update: There are two new Mennonite Markets in the area. The one in Greenwood, SC is the Pantry Shoppe owned by Jesse Wiley and family. His mother operated the original Pantry shoppe in the Due West area. I highly recommend their baked goods. The other is Court Square Market in Abbeville. Over the years, I have had several very good mennonite friends and was honored to participate in a Mennonite wedding (Mennonite man and Amish woman). Overall, the Mennonite folks I have known are warm, honest and Earthy.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:31 AM

14 posts, read 14,566 times
Amish don't drive, but the Mennonites do. Large community of Mennonites in Abbeville, sc. The women wear similar clothing style, but color is allowed. Also wear little white hat like Amish.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 AM

3,723 posts, read 2,704,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkiepie View Post
I have been privileged enough to be with rather old order Amish in Ohio off and on during the last six months. Though I love modern appliances and conveniences, the Amish are truly onto 'something' with their way of life. I have been without tv by choice since '97 and am learning to simplify life even more after being with the Amish. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to live a more Amish lifestyle. I wish there were some in SC, I would be right there.
Good post. I have a brother who lives right outside a major Amish area in Ohio. I purposely drive through the Amish area, it's very beautiful and I admire their lifestyle. It is very simple and the people are seem to be very happy.

Some of the Mennonite families that live in that area are also very wealthy from my understanding. And, good grief, they sure can cook. I try to visit the Amish style restaurants and grocery stores every chance I get up there.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 AM

176 posts, read 231,118 times
I wish we had more Amish and Mennonites in the area. While I'm not ready to sign-up, they seem to make wonderful neighbors.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 4,722 times
good luck to you, i love the community and hope some of them are here in greenville!!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,297 times
We have eaten at Yoder's Dutch Kitchen in Abbeville, S.C. dozens of times over the years. The Mennonites that own and run this are very friendly happy people. I wish they had a place in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area