Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:25 PM

19 posts, read 95,562 times

Advertisements

Looking for an Amish community near Greenville. Anyone know of any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 02:20 PM

75 posts, read 353,253 times
uhhhhh..... I think your outta luck with this one.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:46 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,280 times
Yeah, I've never heard of anything around here. I visited Pennsylvania once, there's a rather large community there .

Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
This must be a joke in response to all the questions on this board about churches and where people can find activities for certain ethnic groups.

A member of the Amish community would never be on an internet board. They don't use computers! They don't even wear buttons or drive motor vehicles. Ever see "Witness" with Harrison Ford?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 AM

Don't drive motor vehicles, eh? If that's the case then we saw a couple who were not following rules in Pennsylvania! In all honesty, we spotted an Amish lady driving a van down the highway.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Did you ask her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
Don't drive motor vehicles, eh? If that's the case then we saw a couple who were not following rules in Pennsylvania! In all honesty, we spotted an Amish lady driving a van down the highway.
Sorry, but Amish people DO NOT drive motor vehicles. They travel in wooden carts pulled by horses. Did you ask this woman "are you Amish?" People who are not even in the medical profession wear scrubs all the time. Camouflage wear that soliders use in combat is also very popular among young people these days. You can call yourself anything you want, but it doesn't make it so or represent that particular group of people. Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I doubt if they use computers, since they do not even use electricity. So it's doubtful an Amish community would have a web site, although I am sure there is plenty of information available.

There's another possibility. Another religious order that people often confuse with the Amish is the Mennonites who drive cars and use telephones. The Mennonites have similar cultural practices, but are members of an entirely different religious order.

Last edited by justNancy; 12-19-2007 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 PM

Haha, i'm not trying to argue with you. No, I didn't ask her if she was amish because we were traveling down the highway at about 70mph. I am, however, about 90% sure she was. We were only a minute or so out of a large Amish community in Pennsylvania. She was dressed exactly like the women we had just seen. And yes, they DO use telephones. We toured an Amish house and we were told by an Amish man that they can have them and use them, but they can't be in the main house. (which is why it was in a barn or something)

Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 PM

69 posts, read 254,112 times
Default Amish Rules Vary

I lived in Philadelphia in the mid 90s. There is a very large Amish Community in Lancaster County, PA, and they also have Amish markets in the greater Philadelphia, New Jersey area. They definitely drive trucks.

One of the biggest city markets that is Amish-run, has a huge cut-out figure of an Amish horse-and-buggy on the roadside hawking customers to their market. They drive trucks from many miles away with their produce, meats (all natural) home-grown herbs (cheap), hand-made furniture & crafts, and so on. They even have a cafeteria style dining area in the market with their free-range chickens, wonderful baked goods, veggies, soups - yummy! They may use straight pins to fastens their clothing, and never use zippers (that I've know) but I've seen them drive trucks. They make a fortune at the Amish markets! People come from 100s of miles away to get the all-natural foods & beautiful handmade furniture (very expensive, but worth it).

So, don't trust a movie like Witness to describe these people. They've gotten more liberal, or at least a sect of that religion has moved a little further into the American culture.

Last edited by PeggyM; 12-19-2007 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: change wording

Old 12-20-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Okay - I'm not an expert on Amish people

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
I lived in Philadelphia in the mid 90s. There is a very large Amish Community in Lancaster County, PA, and they also have Amish markets in the greater Philadelphia, New Jersey area. They definitely drive trucks.
I wasn't relying on the movie Witness (just kidding when I wrote that) but on everything I've read & seen in the past. You are correct when you say that people often have different rules. When I was in PA they weren't allowed to drive, but I guess that's changed. It was over 30 years ago.

FYI, this is from a site about Lancaster PA

"[FONT=Arial]Today there are over 25 different Amish, Mennonite, and Brethren church groups in Lancaster County, all holding to slightly different traditions and their own interpretations of the Bible. The more traditional groups are called 'old order'. They do not permit electricity or telephones in their homes. By restricting access to television, radio, and telephones, the Amish are better able to keep the modern world from intruding into their home life."[/FONT]

So, although I might be mistaken about the vehicles used for transporting produce, I doubt if they have computers and web sites, but I'm really not here to dispute that. I only thought the OP was a joke, that's all. Thank you both for answering me.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,360 times
There are less restricted sectors of the Amish Communities that do use cars and telephones. They don't normally use them on a regular basis though.

I'm pretty sure the Amish people who were visiting their children in Philly after the shootings there didn't ride a buggy. So even, for the more conservative - I'm sure they're are circumstances when the rules need to be bent.....and they know God understands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area