U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,136 times

Advertisements

Could anyone suggest some location ideas for me to zero in on? I'd love to be closer to the mountains but would consider no mountain views for right home-location. Low crime-friendly atmosphere-good shopping...I've been considering North Carolina and NE Georgia also. But South Carolina has a lot going for it from what I read and see. Divorced man with grown children so I will be living alone.

Thanks for any advice

Durangokid
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 04:28 AM

745 posts, read 1,921,859 times
We're north of Travelers Rest by about 5 miles. We have a panoramic mountain view in the winter, and TR has most of our day-to-day shopping needs. Woodruff Rd is about 1/2 hour, and has a LOT of shopping. We venture down there about once a month. Downtown Greenville is 15 miles and about 25 minutes off-peak. TR also has a hospital- important as you get older. Northern Greenville County, Pickens, and Oconee County are all good choices. Many retirees also go further west to Seneca and Walhalla. It depends upon how far you want to be from the city. The areas west and north of Greenville are more rural and closer to the mountains.

We looked in western NC, but good land was too expensive, and some areas have gotten crowded. We're still working, and there aren't many jobs in western NC.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,638,574 times
Price range would be important to know; where we live we are a bit further to the mountains (but still less than an hour), but so close to all kinds of shopping, as well as every kind of doctor you could want within 2 miles. My husband is retirement age and I am close, and we are very happy and comfortable in our neighborhood.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:22 PM

87 posts, read 79,774 times
I would also be interested in this information. A mountain view would probably be more important to me than proximity to the city. However, I'd like to be within 10 minutes or a decent grocery store. We can spend up to $350. Are there places where ex northeasterners tend to live? : )
Thank you.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:45 PM

226 posts, read 264,187 times
I second Traveler's Rest. Really cute town, near mountains, but has grocery stores, some restaurants, etc.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Traveler's Rest would definitely be a great choice for proximity to the mountains. As for shopping, I guess it depends on what kind of shopping you want to be close to. My husband loves Costco; it is less than a mile from us, and Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are about 3 miles away. We go to Woodruff a lot more than once a month . My son gets allergy shots weekly; the practice is a half mile away; other doctors are almost as close, as is the hospital. If you can live with driving 20 minutes to some of your shopping then I would agree with TR as well as some of the other towns mentioned here.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:54 PM

38 posts, read 39,980 times
We're Northeast retirees and moved to Taylors, really Greer since that's where we pay city taxes, last year. We're in a beautiful subdivision with friendly neighbors and views of the mountains in the area (maybe not from your back porch but in the area). We're maybe 6 miles from major shopping on Wade Hampton Blvd. and about 7 miles from Greer Hospital (part of GHS) with pretty much any specialty physicians you might need. No crime as far as we've seen, and reasonable home prices compared to downtown Greenville. There are sub-divisions closer to Wade Hampton but I don't know their price points. Travelers Rest is beautiful, and an area we also looked into, so you have two areas to consider. Maybe rent for a few months like we did to get a feel of the area and decide after that. I can certainly say that SC is a beautiful, friendly and reasonably affordable place to live. I wish you much luck in your search!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:23 PM

I agree with Greer as well; spent some time driving around there today. There are beautiful mountain views, plenty of shopping, a great YMCA, and one of my favorite places, Fisher's Orchards. You really need to visit a few times to get a feel for the area.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ma View Post
I don't want to nitpick but that YMCA isn't in Greer. It actually has a Taylors address but it is the Eastside YMCA.

Eastside is Greenville residents along Pelham Road / North / Old Spartanburg / Batesville Rd.

I don't belive you are really in Greer until you get to Buncombe Road or highway 14 going down Brushy Creek Road.

Some of the East Side addresses are Greer but most of those people never go to Greer for anything. To me when somebody says Greer I think of the area along Wade Hampton.

So I thought there was a new YMCA over there on or near Wade Hampton when you said Greer.
Ok, I stand corrected, but if they chose to lve in Greer they would be close to the Eastside Y. Funny, when I think of Greer I think of Thornblade . Fisher's Orchards are in Greer for sure, right near the area you mentioned.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:39 PM

43 posts, read 52,550 times
We live in Greer (closer to Taylors as well) and love it. However, if we move again, it will be to the Travelers Rest area for all of the reasons mentioned above. It's close enough to the mountains and close enough to Greenville - almost a perfect in-between. And you can absolutely find a home that has a winter mountain view. It really just depends on how much you want to spend. You might also consider Seneca and Pickens if you don't mind being a little farther out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area