U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 AM

692 posts, read 1,063,065 times

Advertisements

For me, the thing I miss most is the beach. After spending a large part of my life in New Smyrna Beach, living so far away from it for the past several years really makes me miss it. As long as there is water nearby, life is good, but it's not quite the same as hanging out at the beach with the ocean breeze on your face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:44 AM

83 posts, read 111,211 times
I have been playing around on Zillow what blows me away is whatan amazing house you can get for less than $200,000. Whereas the other place I wanna move you get practically nothing for less than 200000

Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 AM

23 posts, read 34,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam18629 View Post
thanks for all the replies! I am still afraid of the hot weather.....but I know I would LOVE the winters
Depending on what part of the upstate you pick, the average high in the summer is only around 7 degrees more than, say Canton OH. hardly that big a deal.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 AM

2,967 posts, read 3,956,389 times
I moved here last year from NE Ohio and absolutely love it.

The sun is always out and the skies are mostly clear. There is usually a nice breeze. The lakes and mountains are only 15 mins away. I have found the weather to only be around 8-10 degrees warmer than NE Ohio in the summer. I still walk and hike outside almost every day and really don't notice a difference since I acclimated quickly to the climate, I just do it early in the a.m or after dusk. Mid day summers in Ohio I found to be too hot if you're out in the sun also. The benefit here is that you aren't hibernating indoors 6-8 months of the year with black skies.

Charleston is a straight shot from Greenville or Greer down a very nice, fast freeway. We have been there 2 times on day trips - you just go straight to the beach, hop out of your car and hit the sand. The things I like most about the upstate are the trees, hills, mountains, lack of traffic, and low cost of living.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 AM

11,474 posts, read 25,701,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinphilly View Post
For me, the thing I miss most is the beach. After spending a large part of my life in New Smyrna Beach, living so far away from it for the past several years really makes me miss it. As long as there is water nearby, life is good, but it's not quite the same as hanging out at the beach with the ocean breeze on your face.
I agree! I love New Smyrna Beach! Honestly though, we lived 45 minutes from there and only went a handful of times when we lived there but we always enjoyed it. I know 3 hours is a lot but it's still doable. It probably just won't be as often if the OP moves here. The COL is less if you live here then by the beach. I think it's even hotter there as well. We looked by Charleston before moving here and didn't have much luck. It's what the OP likes.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM

I am quickly being sold.....we are going to be in Charleston for a week in august...will venturing upstate during that week to do some exploring and sell the idea to my wife

Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I agree! I love New Smyrna Beach! Honestly though, we lived 45 minutes from there and only went a handful of times when we lived there but we always enjoyed it. I know 3 hours is a lot but it's still doable. It probably just won't be as often if the OP moves here. The COL is less if you live here then by the beach. I think it's even hotter there as well. We looked by Charleston before moving here and didn't have much luck. It's what the OP likes.

The coast is considerably warmer than the upstate, especially in winter. In summer temps are similar as the upstate but the humidity is more for obvious reasons. Back in the days before air conditioning, coastal residents used to come to the upstate for a reprieve during the summer.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:54 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,640,115 times
Greenville will feel great after Charleston

Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 PM

so who can describe to me what the winters are like especially the winter is at its worst. I would a specially appreciate someone's opinion who comes from similar weather background as Ohio.I am hoping for a weather in the winter situation to be something where i can comfortably be outside without wearing lots of layers. Again everybody has been more than helpful thank you.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam18629 View Post
so who can describe to me what the winters are like especially the winter is at its worst. I would a specially appreciate someone's opinion who comes from similar weather background as Ohio.I am hoping for a weather in the winter situation to be something where i can comfortably be outside without wearing lots of layers. Again everybody has been more than helpful thank you.
Record low in Greenville is around -6. Normally lows are in the 20s and 30s with a few nights in the singles and teens. Highs normall 40s and 50s. Snow's a few times per winter, usually January, February, March. usually not much, especially compared to lake effect regions of Ohio. 2-3" storms are fairly common. Not unheard of to occasionally get 10+, but they are rare. The further north in Greenville county you are the colder/more snow. Greenville county is very large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or