U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:56 AM

23 posts, read 34,365 times

Advertisements

Adam.....don't know what price point, etc youre looking at, but check out Castle Rock neighborhood. Here is the view from my back deck:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 PM

23 posts, read 34,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We came from the Poconos in PA and I can tell you the winters are a cake walk compared to up north Last year was an unusually cold winter here from what I was told.
Not really, that was pretty average.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM

83 posts, read 111,268 times
Looking at the daily weather from last year if that is average then that is GOLDEN

Old 07-15-2014, 07:33 PM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,532,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ma View Post
We had more snow than usual this year. Not a big deal though. The weather people thought it was going to be much worse.
Yes, I vividly remember the infamous February winter storm - all of the meteorologists (including the local NOAA weather office) were predicting apocalyptic snowfall totals of a foot+. I ended up with about 4-5 inches (and most of it sleet!) - still a significant winter storm here. (I honestly think this is the reason SaucyStarGazer is moving back to Asheville - she only rec'd a couple of inches at most)

Old 07-16-2014, 03:41 AM

745 posts, read 1,923,812 times
Last year was somewhat off average. Last summer only had 11 days above 90 degrees- very unusual. This year has been much more normal. The winter was colder than average, with three days in January in single digits. The previous two winters were very mild. We also had nearly twice the average rainfall in 2013.

As for the Blizzard of '14, we had a whopping 1-1/2" up here in the north county. That's the most we've had in the last three years that I've been here. We had a small snow earlier in the winter that made the roads all but impassable. It took my wife 2 hours to get home from work, mostly due to abandoned cars, which people simply left in the middle of the road.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM

9 posts, read 8,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam18629 View Post
I have been playing around on Zillow what blows me away is whatan amazing house you can get for less than $200,000. Whereas the other place I wanna move you get practically nothing for less than 200000
The upstate housing market is definitely a plus for someone moving here from another state. Depending on the area of town you're interested in, $200k will get you a nice house (2500 square feet, 4 BR, 2.5 BA in a nice community). House prices are a little steep in certain areas (i.e. many spots near downtown Greenville), but still not as bad as other locations in the country.

One downside of Greenville, however, is the sprawl...the city is very spread out, with a not-so-great public transportation system. Expect to drive everywhere...which isn't too big of a deal, due to the cheap gas prices here.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:29 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,643,434 times
To add to the above- yes you will have to drive everywhere but everything is so close; I never drive more than 20 minutes to get anywhere except the mountains.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 8,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ma View Post
Are we all supposed to live on top of each other in a tiny area. Never understood the sprawl comment. Don't get the appeal of mass transit either. That is a big hassle. I rode the Metro in DC a few times on the weekend and it seemed more stresfful to me than driving. It would be unbearable during workdays I think.
I guess I should have rephrased my comment and said "One possible downside...". Some people prefer to live in a more urban area, where you can walk to things or take mass transit. If the OP is one of those people, Greenville may be a letdown in that one area.

As a native Greenvillian (is that the correct term?), I'm used to driving everywhere, and as someone else pointed out, most things are fairly convenient, and the traffic is nowhere near as bad as Charlotte or Atlanta.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:34 PM

Just so that nobody is nervous.......I am not concerned about mass transit. I am going to be visiting with my wife exactly 30 days from now! I have heard downtown Greenville on main st is very nice and I should check it out. Also to check out Paris mtn for hiking........any other suggestions?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Here is what I am interested in. I don't want to be too far from conveniences of a town. But my main goal would be reasonably close access to outdoor (hiking mountains lakes etc) and perhaps a yard with some trees.......what would be some good locations to consider in this area? Also I would prefer to keep it to 175k or under (could go over some but prefer not to) Doesn't have to be huge house either
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or