U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:00 AM

23 posts, read 34,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam18629 View Post
Just so that nobody is nervous.......I am not concerned about mass transit. I am going to be visiting with my wife exactly 30 days from now! I have heard downtown Greenville on main st is very nice and I should check it out. Also to check out Paris mtn for hiking........any other suggestions?
Make sure when you go by downtown Greenville you hit up Falls Park. Its a must when visiting Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,653,416 times
Quote:
Here is what I am interested in. I don't want to be too far from conveniences of a town. But my main goal would be reasonably close access to outdoor (hiking mountains lakes etc) and perhaps a yard with some trees.......what would be some good locations to consider in this area? Also I would prefer to keep it to 175k or under (could go over some but prefer not to) Doesn't have to be huge house either
thanks
Definitely Traveler's Rest.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Ma View Post
Nowhere in Greenville is going to be significantly closer to the mountains or lakes than another. If you want to be near lakes then makes sense to live in Anderson, Seneca/Clemson, or Greenwood. If you want to be closer to mountains and lakes, makes sense to live in Seneca/Clemson. These areas are 40 minutes or more away from Greenville.
That's completely inaccurate. Greenville county is Huge. You can literally live IN the mountains in northern Greenville or well over an hour away in southern Greenville county. If mountains or mountain views are what youre after, your best bet is north of I-85 in Greenville. No need to go out to Pickens or Oconee counties for that. Also, Clemson is a MUCH smaller town than Greenville.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
lol, ok

You might be 10 minutes closer to the mountains if you live in TR than on the East side somewhere. It isn't like most peole will be going to mountains every day. You can get mountain views living off Pelham road in various areas. You can see the mountains as far out as Simpsonville.

I never said Clemson was a big town bruh. Do you think that I'm confused about that?

He ssaid he didn't need to be near that much stuff but wanted to be near lakes and mountains. Seneca has enough stuff for some people. Seneca is a lot closer to the mountains and lakes than Greenville. Check out a map sometime.
Greenville is a county, not just a city. Mountain views from Simpsonville? LOL, yea I guess from the Fairview road bridge over 385 you can just barely make them out in the far far distance. Seneca is closer to the lakes, yes.....closer to the mountains? Well that's debatable at best.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
mountain views in the distance anywhere. You most likely aren't going to get a house in TR with a mountain view. You might get one of Paris Mountain.

Saying TR is the mountains is silly.

Are you kidding me right now? Dude, you get INCREDIBLE views north of 85, especially in TR and Greer. This is the view from MY HOUSE in Greer.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:34 AM

And yes Ive been to Seneca seeing as how I went to Clemson.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
ok this isn't worth talking about anymore.

There are people who work in Greenville who live over in Seneca on lake Keowee. All I did is suggest something. Not sure why you felt the need to correct me. Nothing I said is inaccurate and I don't think every house in Greer has a mountain view. You are making out TR like it is Gatlinburg or something.

I went to Clemson too. Thanks for updating me on the size of the town though. lol
Everything you said is inaccurate and I proved it. But whatever.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 AM

9 posts, read 8,454 times
Quote:
Just so that nobody is nervous.......I am not concerned about mass transit. I am going to be visiting with my wife exactly 30 days from now! I have heard downtown Greenville on main st is very nice and I should check it out. Also to check out Paris mtn for hiking........any other suggestions?
Paris Mountain isn't bad, but IMO, there are better places to hike in the area. Two of my favorites are Jones Gap State Park (around 45 minutes or so from downtown Greenville) and DuPont State Forest in NC (around an hour from downtown Greenville).

There are numerous lakes within an hour's drive from Greenville. The nicest one in the area is probably Lake Jocassee. If interested, there are companies that offer boat tours of the lake, including seeing the varous waterfalls that feed into it.

Downtown Greenville is definitely a great place for a first-time visitor to check out...tons of restaurants, some shopping, and then there's Falls Park, which is a must-see. If you're looking for a place to stay while here, the Westin Poinsett on Main St. is very nice (although not too cheap).

As others have said, many of the retail stores (Best Buy, Cabela's, Academy Sports, etc.) are situated on Woodruff Rd. For shopping, you could also check out Wade Hampton Blvd. and Haywood Rd. / Haywood Mall.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM

83 posts, read 111,525 times
this forum has been incredibly helpful. If the people are half as helpful as the forum I'm going to be very lucky

Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM

474 posts, read 429,532 times
Adam
The best thing I can tell you is to spend the time while you are here, exploring the surrounding area. Check things out in the mid to northern parts of Greenville, Pickens and Oconee counties. There is a wide spectrum of things to appeal to an even wider spectrum of interests and personal requirements. There are plenty of small towns and communities, each with its own flavor, within a short driving distance of somewhat larger "cities" like Greenville, Anderson, Spartanburg or even Asheville.

Winters?.... We often go for a couple of years without snow. Greenville county didn't even own snow plows and sand trucks until the early 90's . A typical SC "blizzard" is usually melted by the next day and seldom lasts longer than a week. You will be expected to participate in the requisite rush to the grocery store to stock up on Bread and Milk or Beer and Condoms. You get to choose which commodities, but be forewarned..... it's an unwritten law.

SC is a right to work state, so we don't get time off for every holiday that Union states might enjoy. We do, however take days off for snow. As little as 2 inches can trigger this event. It's our way of compensating for those missing holidays. Everything closes when it snows... except Waffle House and Bilo... and we enjoy an unscheduled vacation. We only get to use a sled about 5 times in a decade, so we're not about to miss a chance.

You'll be tempted to drive in our snow. Don't... its nasty sloppy wet stuff that compresses into ice when you drive on it. You will become a slow moving target for all the other imported northerners who didn't get the memo. The locals are all inside having toast and hot cocoa... and watching the carnage on TV.

The worst winter problem here is ice. You can be without power for as much as a couple of weeks after one of our more spectacular ice storms. This is when you discover that you either have good neighbors or that no one likes you.. (grin)

It's good to see your excitement building and I'm pleased to see other newcomers so enthusiastically promoting what has always been a well kept secret. It sounds like you'll assimilate easily. We invented the well known hillbilly persona to discourage northern immigration to the local area. It worked pretty well until all youse guys started writing home and blowing our cover. We only ask that you not tease the locals. We are sometimes a bit sensitive about the whole thing.

One last item... you can't drag one of those little bitty sheds to the middle Lake Keowee, in mid winter, to go fishing... you'll have to use a bass boat, like normal folk....(evil wink)

Last edited by Cedge1; 07-18-2014 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or