U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:26 PM

83 posts, read 111,347 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are wanting to relocate from NE Ohio. I am in love with the Pacific Northwest because I love the nature and mild temperatures. My wife however....im not sure she would be thrilled with the lack of sunshine for months on end. She also LOVES the ocean especially ocean warm enough to swim in. So I am asking about this area (Greenville etc). It is only 3 or so hours from beautiful Ocean but also close to lots of mountains lakes hiking etc for me. The biggest questions I have are. How much hiking is there within an hour or so? I am familiar with Asheville NC but not so much here? Also how much out of the year is it fun to hike? It appears winter might be best....is the summer pretty much miserable for that kind of thing with the heat and hurmidity? We will be checking it out soon but was wanting some info on the area first before we head down.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 07:05 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,646,155 times
There are many, many trails within an hours drive; you can google trails bear Greenville, SC and see a long list. The mountains are several degrees cooler than Greenville; my fin snd I hike year- round. Fall and spring are beautiful, and winters tend to be mild, as well. We gave a lot of sunny days for sure; I am keeping the sunscreen companies in business!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:19 AM

Thx. Are you from the area?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam18629 View Post
Thx. Are you from the area?
No, adam18629, I have only been here a few months (and I see shouldn't type responses on my phone; sorry for all the typos). We moved from Raleigh and are crazy about Greenville. It is smaller, yet has everything we need and want, and we never have to go more than 20 minutes to get anywere, including Paris Mountain, which was mentioned earlier as a great place to hike. Only the mountains are further away, but less than an hour.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:49 PM

I visited friends who live in the Raleigh area. Youngsville to be precise. It was nice I suppose plenty of shopping and only a few hour from Wilmington which has some beautiful beaches. But the Raleigh area itself as far as nature COULDNT HAVE BEEN MORE BORING! No hiking or sightseeing to speak of at all! And the traffic was a little much some places and for a huge city........where is the downtown? Not a Raleigh area fan at all

Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam18629 View Post
I visited friends who live in the Raleigh area. Youngsville to be precise. It was nice I suppose plenty of shopping and only a few hour from Wilmington which has some beautiful beaches. But the Raleigh area itself as far as nature COULDNT HAVE BEEN MORE BORING! No hiking or sightseeing to speak of at all! And the traffic was a little much some places and for a huge city........where is the downtown? Not a Raleigh area fan at all
Exactly! My friends can't understand why I moved but I did find it to be one big suburb. Raleigh does have a nice art museum and Natural Sciences Museum, as well as other cultural things I miss here, but on the whole it was boring, and the traffic keeps getting worse.
Come to Greenville for a visit, and I think you will fall in love!

Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 PM

This is the website I often go to when looking for trails nearby:LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, South Carolina

Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM

3,257 posts, read 3,976,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Exactly! My friends can't understand why I moved but I did find it to be one big suburb. Raleigh does have a nice art museum and Natural Sciences Museum, as well as other cultural things I miss here, but on the whole it was boring, and the traffic keeps getting worse.
Come to Greenville for a visit, and I think you will fall in love!
And if you need big city amenities other than Greenville, then Charlotte and Atlanta are not that far. And while Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta have nicer malls, Haywood is still a good mall and they are beginning another renovation. And Asheville and the NC mountains are nearby.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:57 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,840,894 times
A couple of more trail resources:

A map of trails in SC - click on the county you are interested in for more detail: Map Page

NC waterfalls is another great site. It also has a lot of coverage of SC as well:
North Carolina Waterfalls Map
SC waterfalls on that site:
South Carolina Waterfalls

You could spend years hiking within an hour and a half of Greenville and never walk all the trails. It gets hot in the summer but that's when you head into Western NC and hike the trails at higher elevation. ANother good option in the summer is to pick a creek to hike along - easy to cool off that way. I personally love hiking in the fall for the leaves and in the winter when the leaves have dropped because you get some new views.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:45 PM

thanks for all the replies! I am still afraid of the hot weather.....but I know I would LOVE the winters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or