U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 AM

1,868 posts, read 1,828,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by packcov92 View Post
What does a typical buyer agency agreement hold me to? I have only purchased once and it was with a family member as the realtor. I had a realtor friend who helped us find tenants for our existing home and he worked hard to find a good couple. I would want someone like that who communicates well and does everything they can to find me the perfect place.
When you sign a buyer agency agreement, basically you are hiring the agent to work for you, in your best interests, finding the home that best fits your needs and wants at the best price and terms for you. Once you sign an agreement, you work exclusively with that agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 AM

643 posts, read 920,185 times
Hey! Welcome hopefully!

I'm going to promote Greer. Why? Cause it's awesome. Close to downtown, close to the airport (if needed), decently close to Woodruff Road but without all the congestion. And unlike Simponsville/Five Forks we have better views of the mountains (especially anyplace north of Wade Hampton Blvd).

We have a brand new Kohl's opening up in Sept and the WHB area is growing. Shoot, Greer is growing.

Our realtor sold our home in just under 40-45 days or so. We had 30+ showings. She was a rockstar and we ended up having multiple offers and home sold for our listing price with no bargaining down.

Our realtor is Lisa Murray with Keller Williams (Connie Rice and Partners - Connie Rice | Lisa Murray - Partner | Greenville, SC). Tell her that you talked to Allen or what not.

Anyways, welcome to Greenville. It's awesome down here.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,119,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packcov92 View Post
I guess I don't care so much about the quiet, I am used to traffic where I am from. I am more interested in the nice walkable downtown area they have and the proximity to the mountains. Moving to a new area with no family or friends, I do not want to get too secluded and miss out on forming great relationships with others.
There are quite a few small towns in the area that have walkable downtown areas. Greenville has the biggest downtown area, with the Swamp Rabbit Trail running through the west side of the downtown area.

As you mentioned, Travelers Rest also has a small walkable downtown area, also on the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

Greer has a small downtown area with shops and restaurants.

Simpsonville has a small downtown and several parks that have walking trails.

Easley has a small downtown with shops and restaurants. It also has a small park area. They are in the beginning stages of building a trail linking Easley to Pickens (Doodle Trail).

Pickens has a small downtown with shops and restaurants. They have a neat park that is partially open and still being fully developed called Town Creek Park. Just starting work on the previously mentioned Doodle Trail that will link Pickens to Easley.

Clemson has a small downtown that flows into the University campus.

Liberty, Pendleton, and many other small towns in the area have neat downtown areas that are in some stage of revitalization.

What other things are you looking for in a new home? Large lot, historic home, good schools, close to shopping, etc.?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:55 AM

43 posts, read 55,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
When you sign a buyer agency agreement, basically you are hiring the agent to work for you, in your best interests, finding the home that best fits your needs and wants at the best price and terms for you. Once you sign an agreement, you work exclusively with that agent.
Exactly. And you don't have to sign the agreement until you're ready. Some buyers will look at a few properties with an agent to make sure they're a good fit before signing. Some buyers know right away that they want a particular agent to represent them. It's all up to you.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:09 PM

780 posts, read 1,199,606 times
I'd recommend (as I have several times in the past whenever anyone asks) that you also look at the Powdersville area of Northern Anderson County. You get convenience to I-85 and downtown Greenville without the eastside traffic, larger houses on larger lots, and some of the best schools in the state (Anderson Co. District 1). Check it out!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:39 PM

50 posts, read 46,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
What other things are you looking for in a new home? Large lot, historic home, good schools, close to shopping, etc.?
Thanks for the info on the different downtown areas around Greenville!

Good schools for sure.
Walkable downtown areas with different small shops or restaurants. I love that TR has a driving range, couple restaurants, Sunrift, Micro Brewery, Moonshine Distillery and more. Such a cool downtown area. Want that or something like it
4+ bedroom, I work from home so need to use one as an office if there isn't one.
2.5+ bath
2500 sqft
Am willing to go up to $300k but have found some great homes (some even with pools) for under $250k, so I prefer that as a budget.
I don't need too huge of a lot but would like a bigger loneot. That is not a deal breaker I just don't want my house touching the next door neighbors'. Would like fenced in since I have a dog and young kids.
I will be traveling a lot but I don't mind driving 30 min or more to the airport. Shopping is probably more important to the wife.
I like to golf, play volleyball, hike, travel, etc. We are both around 30. Girls 5/3. Active friendly neighborhood would be great.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 PM

148 posts, read 184,743 times
Yes they all visited before and fell in love with it. They all have small kids so they wanted to raise their kids here as well. With all the things you mentioned you wanted you might want to check out the Pebble Creek neighborhood as well. Pebble Creek golf course is right there, minutes away from TR, bigger lots, and tons of kids. Paris Elementary is one of the best elementary schools around....or that is at least what people have told me.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:29 PM

1,868 posts, read 1,828,793 times
Well it certainly sounds like you did fall in love with TR, and you could find what you want in a home there for sure. You would have grocery stores and other essentials close by; would have to travel a bit for a mall and other types of shopping, but nothing is too far in this area- that's one of the things we love about it!

Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM

745 posts, read 1,972,872 times
TR has a walkable down town; it just wouldn't take you very long to walk it! There is a lot going on there lately. Trailblazer Park is brand new, on the site of the old TR high school. There is a Farmer's Market there on Saturday, and on Saturday nights, they have free live music, along with food trucks and beer and wine. Both of these activities are well-attended, and would be a good way to meet people. There are a number of activities at Furman University, too, with Music on the Lake going on during the summer on Thursday nights. Free also.

The northern part of Greer and Taylors, also known as the Blue Ridge area is nice, but further from a down town. Maybe somewhere on the north side of Greer, closer to downtown? Blue Ridge has pretty good schools, from what I've heard.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:42 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,119,139 times
If schools are important, it might be good to check the SC school report cards for areas you might be interested in: https://ed.sc.gov/data/report-cards/

The Greenville area can be hit or miss with schools. These school report cards don't give the whole picture, but they are a start. Greenville County is one large school district with many different schools. Most of the elementary schools are good but the high schools vary a lot in quality. I would recommend finding an area zoned for a good high school and working back from there.

I'd say Travelers Rest High School is okay but they have had some ups and downs with school performance over the years. The Pebble Creek neighborhood mentioned is zoned for Wade Hampton High and that is an excellent school that has a great arts program. Other schools in Greenville that have been good historically include Blue Ridge, Eastside, Riverside, Mann, and Mauldin.

Outside of Greenville County, Pickens County is close by with the cities of Easley, Pickens, and Clemson. Easley High has tended to be pretty good, as has Pickens High. The Clemson area is zoned for Daniel High, which has been an excellent school over the years.

Anderson County is divided up into multiple school districts. The district in NE Anderson County (Anderson District 1) covers the Powdersville area, and has excellent schools. Some of the other districts in Anderson County are good as well but they are farther out from Greenville.

Spartanburg County is also divided into multiple district that vary quite a bit in school quality. I don't know a lot about the schools over there but you would want to do some research before buying a house in Spartanburg County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or