U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 PM

635 posts, read 487,292 times

Advertisements

Has anyone started a successful business in Greenville? How did you do it? I'm 25 years old and I truly believe I have a great business concept that the area could benefit from. I did get a business degree back in 2010 but I feel I need to take a course or sit down with someone to be put in the right direction. I just basically have no idea what my first steps would be to get the process started. The vision is definitely there though.

Any thoughts on this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 05:09 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,993,084 times
One great resource is SCORE

Old 07-24-2014, 05:15 AM

3,444 posts, read 5,345,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
One great resource is SCORE
I second this ...

Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM

4,035 posts, read 3,273,433 times
In addition to SCORE, you might look some of the at books for entrepreneurs on Amazon, like "Start Your Own Business" or "Entrepreneurship: starting and Operating a Small Business".

Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 AM

631 posts, read 878,801 times
What kind of business? Ecommerce? Service? Product/aka Retail? Wholesale? I've been doing small businesses for years here and it's a piece of cake. Have done retail to ecommerce to wholesale.

If doing retail or what not you can do a Sole Proprietorship for zero cost. If you are collecting sales tax you need a SC Tax Certificate (Retail) and it's only $50 (or used to be).

You can pay taxes and file online with SC.

Hit up reddit.com/r/entrepreneurship. Read StartupBro's blog. Get Inc. magazine and read it as well.

I love entrepreneurship and love helping others as well so feel free to PM me anytime.

~Allen

Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 AM

43 posts, read 52,636 times
Lots of good suggestions here! This list of resources from the Upstate Carolina Angel Network is also helpful.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:02 PM

635 posts, read 487,292 times
Thanks all! Sorry for the late reply. CD didn't even notify me I got responses even though I asked for instant notifications......

But what I'm looking into is providing a service that has yet to be introduced to the Upstate

Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 PM

631 posts, read 878,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Thanks all! Sorry for the late reply. CD didn't even notify me I got responses even though I asked for instant notifications......

But what I'm looking into is providing a service that has yet to be introduced to the Upstate
Well, if that's the case then go for it. If there is no one providing this service and/or product then you have a potentially wide open market.

But start slow and grow slow. Use revenue from the business to grow the business. Be a tortoise. Don't go into debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area