Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:44 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,349,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant08 View Post
I ended up with this one from Channel Master
CM-4228HD

I can now get WLOS and CBS out of Charlotte. Having two CBS affiliate stations was nice on Sunday since they featured different 1pm NFL games
That is a top performing 8-bay UHF antenna from Channel Master. It can also receive High VHF channels 7 and 13. But the MCM version from Stellar Labs is basically identical and less expensive for those who may be interested. And with the MCM model, both 4-bay sides can be pointed different directions to optimize reception from both Greenville and Charlotte, allowing you to receive more Charlotte signals in addition to CBS.

Also, in addition to WBTV, you should also receive FOX and NBC from Charlotte if the antenna is aimed that direction, and using an amplifier. A good inline amp is the Winegard LNA-100, which can be placed inside at the TV. Or the Winegard LNA-200 preamp sold at Home Depot, which is placed outside at the antenna. For convenience, there is a cheap RCA inline amp sold at Walmart for $16 that should also work inside at the TV.

WBTV has the strongest signal pattern from Charlotte, which is why it is easier to receive even if the antenna is pointed more towards Greenville and Asheville signals. You can also carefully combine 2 separate antennas for GSP/Asheville and Charlotte signals. Both WCNC and WJZY feature special Carolina Panthers gameday highlight programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 09:38 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
But the MCM version from Stellar Labs is basically identical and less expensive for those who may be interested. And with the MCM model, both 4-bay sides can be pointed different directions to optimize reception from both Greenville and Charlotte, allowing you to receive more Charlotte signals in addition to CBS.
This one? HDTV 80 Mile Deep Fringe Bowtie Television Antenna

Old 09-16-2015, 07:28 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,807,609 times
The technician from Greenes reached out to me via email. I wanted to see how far his service area was and he told me he will do Simpsonville. I will probably go OTA early next year when my current TV contract ends.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Yes, that Stellar Labs model 30-2430 8-bay UHF antenna is the one I was referring to. Same design pattern as the Channel Master 4228-HD, but the Channel Master is usually over $100. And that MCM model allows you to adjust each 4-bay side in different directions to receive more signals. But for stronger reception, it can be better to point the entire 8-bay in one direction. MCM price is $45, but about 10-15% cheaper when using the coupon codes on their home page.

Also, their Stellar Labs 30-2415 triple boom yagi antenna is also very good for fringe area UHF reception, and their is a version that also adds dipoles for VHF. $39, but again even cheaper with the coupon codes.

But if you prefer a strong antenna that is smaller in size, then consider the Clearstream 4V from Best Buy. Four UHF loops and a VHF dipole. But much pricier at $149 to $169.

And add a Winegard LNA-100 inline amp or Winegard LNA-200 preamp to pull in all weak or distant signals, and maintain signals through the cable run.

Also Winegard has very good High VHF and UHF combo antennas made in the USA, yagi style HD7697 or 7698 models.

But price wise, the Chinese made MCM models are the most affordable options. And in this case, the Chinese product is well made, unlike other situations. Also, the Channel Master antennas are now made in China rather than USA as previously.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The technician from Greenes reached out to me via email. I wanted to see how far his service area was and he told me he will do Simpsonville. I will probably go OTA early next year when my current TV contract ends.
In Simpsonville, you should receive all GSP/Asheville signals, as well as 3, 36, 46, and 55 from Charlotte. And often 9 and 18 come in at night. Down towards Fountain Inn and Laurens, you can pull in 25, 10, and 19 from Columbia.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:59 AM

8 posts, read 12,914 times
Thanks for all the great information. We are relocating to GVL next year and we plan on going w/o cable.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times
I love OTA TV since we started with it last November. I really like the Tivo we added. I am still discovering cool things on it. I can use it to play youtube videos and share them from my ipad, it has a youtube app, netflix, and even pandora. This along with DVR and online guide and season pass for my favorite shows.

Only rarely do we lose 13 ABC in a storm or cloudy day, the other ones are solid (4 NBC, 7 CBS, 21 Fox, 16 WGGS, 29 Etv). QVC just got added to 16.5 and we really like having that back.

I heard that WYFF is doing more partnering with Weather Channel and I hope my wish comes true that 4.3 becomes the weather channel.

I am getting the spidercam of all of the big college football games via the ESPN app on our apple TV. I like not hearing the biased announcers.

Old 09-19-2015, 05:15 PM

266 posts, read 300,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes, that Stellar Labs model 30-2430 8-bay UHF antenna is the one I was referring to. Same design pattern as the Channel Master 4228-HD, but the Channel Master is usually over $100. And that MCM model allows you to adjust each 4-bay side in different directions to receive more signals. But for stronger reception, it can be better to point the entire 8-bay in one direction. MCM price is $45, but about 10-15% cheaper when using the coupon codes on their home page.

Also, their Stellar Labs 30-2415 triple boom yagi antenna is also very good for fringe area UHF reception, and their is a version that also adds dipoles for VHF. $39, but again even cheaper with the coupon codes.

But if you prefer a strong antenna that is smaller in size, then consider the Clearstream 4V from Best Buy. Four UHF loops and a VHF dipole. But much pricier at $149 to $169.

And add a Winegard LNA-100 inline amp or Winegard LNA-200 preamp to pull in all weak or distant signals, and maintain signals through the cable run.

Also Winegard has very good High VHF and UHF combo antennas made in the USA, yagi style HD7697 or 7698 models.

But price wise, the Chinese made MCM models are the most affordable options. And in this case, the Chinese product is well made, unlike other situations. Also, the Channel Master antennas are now made in China rather than USA as previously.
I use the solid signal version of that and receive all of GSP and Charlotte with with a LNA2000 preamp with only WLOS 13 being flacky

Old 09-20-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmelfi View Post
I use the solid signal version of that and receive all of GSP and Charlotte with with a LNA2000 preamp with only WLOS 13 being flacky
It seems the Solid Signal version is the same as MCM. Good antenna, but MCM has lowest price.

To get 13 you may need to add a dedicated High VHF antenna connected with a UHF/VHF signal joiner. MCM now has this antenna and combiner available. Unless you are in Spartanburg or somewhere and get 9 from Charlotte so you don't need 13 for ABC.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,965 times
Hi All!!! I'm also working on installing an antenna in my attic. I've mounted the Solid Signal HDB8X in the attic and tested the reception. It gets all the channels I need! However, I am looking for someone who can professionally ground the antenna for me. Any suggestions? I live in the Columbia-Blythewood area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area