Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Martha View Post
There is no way Greenville crime is bad as NYC, because the urban area is much smaller.

Most people moving to Greenville move to the Eastside, Five Forks, Simpsonville, Powdersville area. It is silly to talk about crime if that is the case. If you move downtown somewhere you will be closer to crime.
This board is designed to help people in their relocation efforts. You do not get a say as to where they are moving. It just does not work that way. You have no idea where people are going to move to. If you do not want to recognize the whole area, and just pick certain areas in which to represent, that is fine. I will be honest for the both of us.
I hate to bust your bubble, but these crime statistics are based on a per capita method. Truth be told, based on per capita stats, you are safer in New York City than you are in Greenville.
For instance, you are twice as likely to get assaulted (assaults) in Greenville as you would be in New York City:
NYC - 376 per 100,000 people
Greenville - 628 per 100,000 people

Also, you are twice as likely to get your car stolen in Greenville than in NYC:

NYC - 98 auto thefts per 100,000 people
Greenville - 209 per 100,000 people.

You are two and a half times more likely to get raped in Greenville as you would be in NYC.

These stats are not made up, they are there for everyone to see. What you perceive to be reality is not always reality.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:54 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post

I don't know, but I think sometimes comparing cities is like apples to oranges. I used to live in downtown Pittsburgh and didn't own a car. You just use the subway, cabs and buses. Pittsburgh is a lot larger than Greenville, and NYC is a lot larger than both of them; it's so large in fact, that a massive % of people there do not even own a car - I would think that that would skew the numbers.

Owning a car in a massive northern city is just not feasible sometimes, due to non existent parking space and cost. In many cities it is easier and cheaper to use public transportation unless you want to deal with auto break-ins, tickets, and steel boots being placed on your tires because you forgot to go out and move your car 3 times a day, assuming you were lucky enough to find a parking space.

The people I know that live outside of NYC and travel into NYC for work, carpool or leave their cars in lots outside of the city and use a relay of trains or buses to make their commute into the city each day. If living in the city itself, people likely do not even own car at all.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
You making it seem like it all spread out across the metro which isn't reality. Pointing this out doesn't mean I am anti-facts, means I'm pro-fact.
I am not making anything seem like anything. I am posting statistics, plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I don't know, but I think sometimes comparing cities is like apples to oranges. I used to live in downtown Pittsburgh and didn't own a car. You just use the subway, cabs and buses. Pittsburgh is a lot larger than Greenville, and NYC is a lot larger than both of them; it's so large in fact, that a massive % of people there do not even own a car - I would think that that would skew the numbers.
I wont argue with you that car ownership and use might skew those numbers. I was simply trying to move away from the violent crime statistics.
Even still, in 2011, one was more likely to get raped in Greenville than in either NYC or Pittsburgh.
One was more likely to get robbed or murdered in Pittsburgh than either Greenville or NYC.
These are the stats for the entire area. Each entire area. There are safe places in each. But from a per capita perspective, this is data that is documented. I aint making this stuff up.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
All data can be challenged.
You are absolutely correct, all data can be challenged. But at least I am using data, and not shooting from the hip.

Quote:
Many rapes are not even reported because the women are embarassed or scared. I would say in a large city like NYC there is a lot more tolerance for crime and thus a lot of crime isn't even reported. I'd also like to see that every city is reporting all the same information. What are the requirements. Are cities forced to give all their crime data out? I'd be skeptical about that. And on top of this, the cities may not really keep great records. They could be ballparking stuff for all we know. We know absolutely nothing about this data.
Again, you are correct. I have no idea from where or how this data is recorded. But since this website is designed as a relocation aid I hope that the folks who collect and post this data are being diligent and honest in their task. I can see no reason why they would skew the collected data to make one city seem safer than any other city.

Quote:
If you say Greenville has high crime, and don't note that the high crime areas are confined in certan areas and the crime isn't evenly distributed aacross the metro, you aren't talking about statistics. You are broadbrushing.
I am not sure you understand the concept of per capita comparisons. Every city has safer areas and not so safe areas. EVERY CITY. I am not saying what you think I am saying, I am not broad brushing. When you throw in the the data from the good parts of town and the bad parts of town, add them up then divide by a certain amount of people (this site used 100,000 people) you get a per capita rating.
There were certainly more assaults in NYC than in Greenville in 2012. But based on per 100,000 people NYC had just 376 assaults compared to 628 in Greenville. I have visited several other crime stat sites to verify this, and although there are slight deviations between each, the data on this site is comparable to the others. Is it your contention that all these crime stat sites somehow 'have it in' for Greenville?

Quote:
Most people looking at this website are in the non-crime areas of Greenville and people who show up on here looking for advice aren't planning to move to the high crime areas of town, most of the time, so to talk about Greenville a high crime city is misleading.
So there we have it. You not only know where most people are from who visit this site but you already know where people are going to relocate to. If people are thinking about moving to Simpsonville, there is a crime ranking for there on this site, crime index of 272. Greer? Crime index of 292. Mauldin? 148.
All those rankings are better than Greenville, crime index of 390.
If you can find any data that is in direct conflict with the information I have posted I will look at it and make corrections if it warrants it. But I am simply posting information that is provided by City-Data for relocation help. There is no "broad brushing" or "making it seem like" stuff going on here.
The OP asked a question and I responded by posting information provided by the good folks at City-Data. I cannot help it if you do not like that data. Or if you question that data. Or if you think every crime stat service out there has it in for Greenville.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:33 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
It does no one any service to throw the baby out with the bath water, to sweep the dirt under the rug or bury ones head in the sand.
Agree with this. And when I dared to post my first impressions of Greenville in this forum last fall, I was the target of trollery and was dumb enough to take the bait. Exchanges like this one do no one any good ... the person looking for information is likely to bail on the thread after the first two or three contentious exchanges.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Agree with this. And when I dared to post my first impressions of Greenville in this forum last fall, I was the target of trollery and was dumb enough to take the bait. Exchanges like this one do no one any good ... the person looking for information is likely to bail on the thread after the first two or three contentious exchanges.
Exactly!

Old 08-03-2014, 08:53 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
This board is designed to help people in their relocation efforts. You do not get a say as to where they are moving. It just does not work that way. You have no idea where people are going to move to. If you do not want to recognize the whole area, and just pick certain areas in which to represent, that is fine. I will be honest for the both of us.
I hate to bust your bubble, but these crime statistics are based on a per capita method. Truth be told, based on per capita stats, you are safer in New York City than you are in Greenville.
For instance, you are twice as likely to get assaulted (assaults) in Greenville as you would be in New York City:
NYC - 376 per 100,000 people
Greenville - 628 per 100,000 people

You are two and a half times more likely to get raped in Greenville as you would be in NYC.

These stats are not made up, they are there for everyone to see. What you perceive to be reality is not always reality.
Is the crime data for Greenville County or just within the city of Greenville? The city of Greenville does not include a lot of the lower crime suburb areas that would be included in many similar cities. Greenville has some type of odd annexation limitations. Conversely, some of the worst crime areas just west of Greenville are inside the city limits.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:48 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The sad thing is, you were shouted down by the same person cluttering up the current thread but under a different user name. The user gets banned and then just returns under a new name to spew the same worthless hate. City-Data seems unable to remove them, so the best policy is to just ignore their comments. The user is pretty easy to identify once you have seen a few of their posts.
This. It's getting ridiculous and makes this look bad.

Anyways. I saw this posted. America's Most Dangerous States, Based On Law Street's Analysis Of FBI Crime Statistics

I think it comes down to geographic location and rate of poverty. SC is in the south and has a high poverty rate, thus ranks in the top tens for crime. I won't lie, there are areas I don't go near around here alone. My mom was visitng recently when my daughter was born. I never said anything to her about safety here. When she traveled to the hospital a few times from TR she said she didn't realize how many bad areas there are here (I imagine she accidently went down white horse rd to get there). There are several areas here to avoid due to not being safe but they also tend to be isolated and you learn to avoid them.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Is the crime data for Greenville County or just within the city of Greenville? The city of Greenville does not include a lot of the lower crime suburb areas that would be included in many similar cities. Greenville has some type of odd annexation limitations. Conversely, some of the worst crime areas just west of Greenville are inside the city limits.
Inside the city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
This. It's getting ridiculous and makes this look bad.

Anyways. I saw this posted. America's Most Dangerous States, Based On Law Street's Analysis Of FBI Crime Statistics

I think it comes down to geographic location and rate of poverty. SC is in the south and has a high poverty rate, thus ranks in the top tens for crime. I won't lie, there are areas I don't go near around here alone. My mom was visitng recently when my daughter was born. I never said anything to her about safety here. When she traveled to the hospital a few times from TR she said she didn't realize how many bad areas there are here (I imagine she accidently went down white horse rd to get there). There are several areas here to avoid due to not being safe but they also tend to be isolated and you learn to avoid them.
I agree. But like I mentioned earlier, most larger cities have this same problem, specifically, the worst parts of town are within the city limits and the nicer parts of town are just outside of the city limits. There are three cities from the state I used to live in that have this very same situation, Macon, Columbus and Savannah. Colombia is one from this state that comes to mind also. But all that being said, some cities still end up with much higher crime rankings than others.

As someone who's father was murdered, who has a close personal friend who was raped and who has been robbed at gunpoint, perhaps I do obsess over crime rates. It bothers me when someone disagrees with published stats because they feel safe in their home town because they do not live in a high crime area. Its as if those high crime areas do not even exist. We learn to avoid these high crime areas so they must no longer be there. Some people get upset when this reported data is mentioned, as if I created the city limit lines or caused any/some of this crime to take place.
You have to take the bad with the good. I think the Greenville area is safe for the most part. But that does not mean, because you might live in the nice parts of the city, that the data is made up or misreported or skewed more than some other city.
I do not think these numbers are made up -
Greenville had 989.3 burglaries per 100,000 people in 2012
Columbia had 1301.9
and Charleston had 302

Greenville had 170.6 robberies per 100,000 people in 2012
Columbia had 264.4
and Charleston had 84

I have had extended stays in all three of these cities. Mostly avoiding the bad parts of town once I recognize them. But I did recognize them. I personally think the data is as accurate as possible.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take The Money And Run View Post
The per capita statistics are always misleading, especially when one city in comparison has a huge population like NYC. Check them out and then check out total number of crimes reported in each for 2006. Greenville is obviously a lot safer. I'd rather live somewhere with 8 murders a year than a place with 596, even if the per capita number is a little higher.

You see this guy from Macon get all smug but he isn't right.
This smug guy, who has never lived in Macon, understands what per capita means. (That is two people in as many days that cannot understand the concept. Its as if I am talking to the same person again ;>).)
Per capita means per unit of population. No one ever said there was less actual crime in NYC than Greenville. However, if you divide the actual crime number by the population number you will see what the per capita statistics show. Have you had the light bulb moment yet?
Lets see if I can pull this off ...
Using the numbers you provided
Population
NYC - Greenville
8,165,000 - 57577
Murders
596 - 8
To try and make this easier for you to understand, lets move the decimal point over for the population say three points - NYC 8165 and Greenville 57. All we did there was equally reduce the sampling size. No trick math or anything. Now we have - in NYC, 596 murders per 8165 people, and in Greenville we have 8 murders per 57 people (as an example, in an attempt to explain per capita). No smoke, no mirrors, no fuzzy math. You posted this data, not me.
Would you rather live in a place that has 596 murders out of 8165 people or a place that has 8 murders out of 57 people? Your choice, choose wisely.

In the data you posted regarding actual crimes reported in each city you will find that the numbers for murders and robberies are all higher in Greenville than in NYC, once you divide the crime numbers by the population.

Greenville is not obviously safer. The truth is, NYC is safer, in regards to murders and robberies, and the likelihood of either happening to the average Joe in the population. I sure wish there was some way to get you to understand the concept. Even this back woods survivalist hick understands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area