U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 19,994 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was hoping that someone can answer some questions for me regarding the crime rate in Greenville. I just read that the area has a score of 4, with 100 ranking as safe. It was rated 5th for total crime and 3rd for violent crime in the article that I read. This really caught me by surprise, as I have read so much positive information about Greenville. Can anyone shed any light on this? We are looking to relocate to the area from Colorado, due to family. We have 2 young children and do not want to relocate if safety is a concern. We read that there are some pretty good schools in the area, as that will obviously be a primary concern for us as well. Any information and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Old 07-29-2014, 01:02 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,842,526 times
Certain areas of Greenville, mostly concentrated in the west, have a higher than average crime rate. I, personally, never have a reason to go into those areas and have never felt unsafe in the city. You can go to this site RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing, and view the crime map. Many newcomers are choosing to live on the east side, and as you can see the crime there is low.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:38 PM

505 posts, read 789,347 times
Could you link to the article that you read? I am sure most of us would like to know the source of the ranking.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:03 PM

I meant can't find the ones with the rest of the statistics... Long day already!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:51 PM

I believe that the rankings were from the FBI and were ranking SC overall. Per the article: “Though it has been transforming itself into a hotbed of manufacturing, with companies such as Boeing and BMW opening manufacturing facilities, South Carolina has the nation’s fifth highest violent crime rate,” 24/7 Wall St. said. “Its murder rate of 6.9 per 100,000 is the fifth worst in the country. Its aggravated assault rate is the third worst. Roughly 25 percent have bachelor’s degrees, among the nation’s lowest figures.” I then read a different article stating Greenville County had highest crime rate in the state, so I got the data confused thinking if crime is high in SC, and Greenville county leads state in crime....

I am sorry for any confusion, but am still concerned about what I have read. I imagine that it really depends on the neighborhood, like BigRedBeth mentioned.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:40 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,947,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myers509 View Post
I believe that the rankings were from the FBI and were ranking SC overall. Per the article: “Though it has been transforming itself into a hotbed of manufacturing, with companies such as Boeing and BMW opening manufacturing facilities, South Carolina has the nation’s fifth highest violent crime rate,” 24/7 Wall St. said. “Its murder rate of 6.9 per 100,000 is the fifth worst in the country. Its aggravated assault rate is the third worst. Roughly 25 percent have bachelor’s degrees, among the nation’s lowest figures.” I then read a different article stating Greenville County had highest crime rate in the state, so I got the data confused thinking if crime is high in SC, and Greenville county leads state in crime....

I am sorry for any confusion, but am still concerned about what I have read. I imagine that it really depends on the neighborhood, like BigRedBeth mentioned.

most crime occurs in either west greenville and or the rural parts of the county. if you use the greenville county sheriffs office crime map you can plot all crime in the county ad it becomes very evident where the trouble is.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,787,505 times
OTOH, there are many areas that don't have any issues with crime. I live in Taylors and don't have any issues.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,787,505 times
I agree, nothing like NYC or Philly! That's what I call crime. Someone once said to me you have to have eyeballs in you ass to constantly keep an eye out. LOL

Old 07-31-2014, 10:18 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,842,526 times
On the other hand, I spent almost all of my youth in NYC and only felt unsafe once, when I was exiting the subway and a young guy and girl tried to grab my purse. I rode the subway at all hours, too!

Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,607,580 times
City-Data provides all sorts of information, including crime, for pretty much every city in America http://www.city-data.com/.
In fact, there was a time in the past that linking to one of the competitor sites would get you a hand slap and a moderator cut.
The crime index portion is pretty darn detailed. It is a little bit dated, as the last year reported was 2012, but all in all it is useful. The average crime rate index for the U.S. is 301.1. The higher the number the higher the crime, with a emphasis on violent crimes.

New York City - crime rating of - 256.1, with 5.1 murders per 100,000 people in 2012
(less crime in New York, New York than the average!)
Philadelphia - 562.1 crime rating, 21.5 per 100,000
Greenville - 390.8, 1.6 (12 year average is 9 per 100,000)
For comparison, Camden N.J. has a crime rating of 1133.6 and 86.3 murders per 100,000 people.

(I added the murders per 100,000 simply because it is the first type of crime listed in the table. There are many types of crimes listed)

There always seems to be a perception that crime is very high in New York, New York. But the reported data shows otherwise. And certainly the City-Data crime rating shows otherwise. According the the crime index, the crime rating for Greenville falls somewhere in between New York and Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area