U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,873 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would just like some information from people who live in the area on the Mauldin/Greenville area. My family we are WELS lutheran, I have 3 children, ages 10, 7 and 1. My husband can find work in Greenville area for he works doing plastic injection molds. We are from Wisconsin and the reason for the possible move, besides the obvious bad weather, would be that I have family in Columbia and Charleston area, as well as Greenville. I wanted a person outside of my family to give me the truths behind the area, because I know my family wants us to move there badly.

First of all we are Lutherans and big into our church, are we going to be treated differently and are there churches in the area?

We are in WI, so we don't have too much that slithers around besides grass snakes. How bad is it really I have little ones that run freely in the back yard in Wi, will that be different if I was in Mauldin/ SC area?

How often do you have pest controls company come in to maintain fire ants in yard and bugs in your house?

Also, I have been trying to read alot of blogs, because I want whats best for my family. I think we are a pretty nice family and we are always accepting of others, but will we be treated badly because we are northerners? I have read some awful blogs of hatred and I know there are always two sides to every story, so if you would let me know how accepting people/children are of new people?

Plus anything else important a transplant should know would be helpful. Thanks for your time and enjoy your summer. We just got back from South Carolina and loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 03:11 PM

148 posts, read 184,680 times
If I had to pick between Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville...hmmmm

Well I would pluck Columbia out because between Greenville and Charleston, I believe Columbia doesn't have much to offer.

Charleston is fantastic but you will be hit with all of the people vacationing all summer. I lived there during college and the traffic was TERRIBLE in the summer.

Greenville has the best of both worlds. Great for families and I don't think you should have anything to worry about when it comes to religion around here. There is a church on every corner in Greenville. Everyone seems nice enough to everyone around here. I think people that might have issues is because they want to voice their opinions on religion and don't get the feedback they assumed they would. I make it a point to try not to talk about religion or politics around here! LOL

The weather is perfect in Greenville. We call Columbia the armpit of South Carolina since it is SO hot during the summers there.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:41 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,048,062 times
First and foremost... relocation for a family has to be to the area where the breadwinner has work opportunities. that being said ... my choices would be either Greenville (grenvul) or Charleston...they are both nice places to live and bring up a family... althought in many ways they are very different ... not better or worse ... just different.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:04 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,048,062 times
I neglected to respond to your other concerns ... tho I can only speak to Charleston....exterminators 2-4 times a year... will take care of any bug problems... Ive never seen any snakes in residential areas... garden once...at a friends farm....

On the religious issue .. Charleston has a large number of Lutheran Churches.. especially for a southern city... due to the same immigration issues that settled the Upper Midwest in the mid to late 1800's...In a city known for its stunning churches .....one of its prettiest and largest is St Mathews Lutheran.. which is on Marion Square ... the city's central square. Founded by German , Danish and Swedish immigrants at the time.

Google away ...

Old 07-29-2014, 05:14 PM

141 posts, read 194,428 times
OP, I grew up in South Dakota. Lived in Minnesota for most of a decade. My hubby is from here in SC, and we moved back down last year.

We like it here. The climate difference is a very obvious improvement over WI

Also, though Baptist, non-denominational, and pentecostal/fundamental churches might be more commonplace - there is room for everything down here. I know of at least several Lutheran churches off hand.

I don't know if it's the right "brand" of Lutheran - but we have friends that attend Messiah Lutheran right here in Mauldin, and they love it. They've made a lot of good friends and connections through their church. And they moved down from MN, too, only a couple of years ago.

Bottom line, northern transplants are pretty common around the area. Most people are friendly and welcoming. I can't imagine it being much of an issue.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 AM

663 posts, read 1,199,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthByMidwest View Post

I don't know if it's the right "brand" of Lutheran - but we have friends that attend Messiah Lutheran right here in Mauldin, and they love it. They've made a lot of good friends and connections through their church. And they moved down from MN, too, only a couple of years ago.
Just FYI for the OP, Messiah is a dual affiliated ELCA and NALC church. We've been there for 6 years and love it. You wouldn't be the only WI transplants, either!

Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM

11 posts, read 12,301 times
We just relocated to Greenville-Five Forks area-from Chicago about 2 months ago. Love it here. Came here for the weather, proximity to mountains, lakes, ocean. People are very friendly and there are a lot of transplants. And yes, there are churches everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or