U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 AM

2,386 posts, read 2,142,742 times

Advertisements

Why do these rankings always devolve into "place X is awesome, place Y sucks"?

Some fairly meaningless survey ranked Greenville highly. Downtown Greenville is a nice place to visit. Downtown Charleston is an interesting and historic place to visit. They both have their merits. If you enjoy one more than the other, great. There is no need to feel you have to put down the other town just to make you feel better about your own choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:07 AM

11,842 posts, read 26,821,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Why do these rankings always devolve into "place X is awesome, place Y sucks"?

Some fairly meaningless survey ranked Greenville highly. Downtown Greenville is a nice place to visit. Downtown Charleston is an interesting and historic place to visit. They both have their merits. If you enjoy one more than the other, great. There is no need to feel you have to put down the other town just to make you feel better about your own choice.
I agree with you. I hate to see these threads turn into arguments or debates. I think it's OK to say I like Charleston, etc better but why drag it on. These articles may not mean much but they have to get their info from somewhere. It's just nice to see your hometown get a ranking

Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 AM

2,025 posts, read 3,635,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I agree with you. I hate to see these threads turn into arguments or debates. I think it's OK to say I like Charleston, etc better but why drag it on. These articles may not mean much but they have to get their info from somewhere. It's just nice to see your hometown get a ranking
Yea, the tourism board in these cities submits information to various magazines. If they send it enough, they get on a list. Lists are always skewed and I wouldn't believe any that aren't based on facts like pop. number relocating and such.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Yea, the tourism board in these cities submits information to various magazines. If they send it enough, they get on a list. Lists are always skewed and I wouldn't believe any that aren't based on facts like pop. number relocating and such.
The article spoke about its methodology if you care to read about it. Having 10,000 people was the first criteria and then they looked at stat such as density, music venues per capita, population within a certain age range, etc.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:32 AM

3,200 posts, read 3,904,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
The article spoke about its methodology if you care to read about it. Having 10,000 people was the first criteria and then they looked at stat such as density, music venues per capita, population within a certain age range, etc.
He does not need to read their methodology, these publications get information from local officials & tourism boards. And, as we have seen many times, Greenville is very liberal in describing the city by claiming to be the fastest growing, a metro of 1.4m, the wealthiest in SC, or if the metrics work best with a smaller denominator, they use they city population of 60k. Nothing wrong with promoting a city but Greenville's leaders have a problem with consistency. And, that translates into silly rankings regardless of the methodology.

Besides, some of the towns on this list are funny. Charleston is the obvious choice in SC as most exciting, not sure how that could be a debate. Columbia and or Greenville would be very similar. Other than that, who cares, the towns are too small to be mentioned.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,888,035 times
Okay so somehow I always get in convos with trolls...

How do I know if they were banned or not?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM

45 posts, read 50,680 times
How did Conway get on here? As near as I can tell, Conway exists solely to make my trip to the beach take an hour longer than necessary...

Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM

3,599 posts, read 5,847,442 times
I get what the poster is saying about Charleston, and I totally agree, it's one epic town. However, I was just in downtown Greenville last week visiting some family, and I think the excitement factor is more than surface deep. Perhaps it comes with literally creating a live, work, play destination out of nothing, or perhaps its a result of the peacefulness of surrounding foothill/mountain communities, but I really do feel an energy in downtown Greenville that is unmistakable.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:25 PM

11,842 posts, read 26,821,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I get what the poster is saying about Charleston, and I totally agree, it's one epic town. However, I was just in downtown Greenville last week visiting some family, and I think the excitement factor is more than surface deep. Perhaps it comes with literally creating a live, work, play destination out of nothing, or perhaps its a result of the peacefulness of surrounding foothill/mountain communities, but I really do feel an energy in downtown Greenville that is unmistakable.
Has it changed since you lived here?

Old 08-06-2014, 01:06 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,268,491 times
Greenville, hands down, is one of the nicest downtowns in the Southeast.

And Beckycat, I've been here all week. The temps have been soooo much more bearable, and the people... ahhh... so much more pleasant to be around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or