U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM

141 posts, read 195,223 times

Advertisements

Ha, we are soon to be house hunting, but your price is about $30K above our range! Bummer. That is simply an issue of us having a constraining budget that we have to work within, though.

Honestly, as a parent of 2 young kids, I am put off by your zoned schools. I find them okay at best. We could never afford to live in the top-zoned areas, but we aim to split the difference and at least get zoned for Mauldin, or something. We'll see.

Good luck! We just sold our house in MN last summer. It was 6 months of torture. Very difficult process. Hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:33 PM

Wait a second, I just looked at your listing using Zillow. Honestly, it has appreciated by almost $30K in just 2 years? I could certainly be wrong, but I find that a little hard to believe. As someone mentioned upthread, these type of subdivisions are going up left and right all the time around here.

You are not going to like this (I know from experience, promise!), but if you are serious about selling soonish, you should slash your price. By at least $10K. Some of the best advice our realtor in MN gave us, was to "mean it" when you make a price cut. In other words, don't take a grand or two off, here and there. But rather, if you are cutting price, cut it by $5-10K (or whatever is appropriate for the price point of the house). That gets peoples' attention and probably opens you up to a new cohort of buyers. For instance, just pricing under $180K will probably get a new crop of people to look at it.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:34 PM

54 posts, read 44,194 times
I may need to have the realtor put a new front pic up. Since these i have updated with new mulch and flowers and little solar lights

Old 07-31-2014, 01:36 PM

BTW, I think your kitchen looks nice! I've lived in OLD houses, so I always appreciate a reasonably modern and up to date kitchen.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:37 PM

Yeah it has! Which is good for us but apparently bad too. If it didnt we wouldnt price it at what we have it listed because it wouldnt appraise. We had it listed first for $195,500 and dropped to what it is now. So that was a 10k drop. We have had several houses sell for our price or lots more

Old 07-31-2014, 01:41 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,139,861 times
One start would be to re-paint any room with a strong paint color to a more neutral color (that green room for certain). If you are still listed in the fall, it would be a good idea to re-seed the yard with some annual rye grass to fill in the bare patches and make the lawn green.

Your very small neighborhood really got screwed with school assignments. That will have a big impact on your home's value compared to subdivisions close to you in different schools.

If you aren't getting showings, that is almost always an indicator that the price is too high. You don't want to hear that but it is probably the truth. The house listed across the street is smaller but has a lot more curb appeal to the facade and is priced $10,000 less. You need to consider dropping your price closer to the price of that house and then hope the extra room sells your house despite the lack of curb appeal.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM

Yeah true. The school zoning does suck! I do however know that several kids in the neighborhood got special permission to go to other local schools like mauldin (whvh i dont know why we arent zoned for there since its way closer) and hillcrest.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,139,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthByMidwest View Post
Ha, we are soon to be house hunting, but your price is about $30K above our range! Bummer. That is simply an issue of us having a constraining budget that we have to work within, though.

Honestly, as a parent of 2 young kids, I am put off by your zoned schools. I find them okay at best. We could never afford to live in the top-zoned areas, but we aim to split the difference and at least get zoned for Mauldin, or something. We'll see.

Good luck! We just sold our house in MN last summer. It was 6 months of torture. Very difficult process. Hang in there!
You can find plenty of homes in the 150K range zoned for great schools in this area. If you are willing to look at houses that are not brand new, you should have no problem finding a nice home in a good school zone for 150K.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 PM

66 posts, read 93,203 times
Try to compare it to the other house listed almost across the street from yours. It's selling for $8k less than yours and frankly looks more appealing. The softer blues on the front are more inviting than the general cream color of your house. Your pictures are darker, less inviting, and cluttered. They have a softer granite, stainless, and a sunroom. 1 more bedroom doesn't add 8k in value to most buyers, that's just one more place to throw junk they'll never use. If I was looking for homes in that price range, I'd think I could get a better deal if I kept looking around, especially in that area. Homes are priced close to that around Fairview, which is decidedly close to things people use.

Good luck though. We're thinking about trying to get closer to town, but it seems like 1/2 our neighborhood has gone up for sale in the past 6 months, so we're waiting it out so we don't get lost in the shuffle while hoping the market continues to rebound. We also just haven't made the effort necessary to really make our house as attractive as it can be to get the best offer.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 PM

11,817 posts, read 26,806,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcfarlin09 View Post
We are looking to relocate do to my husbands new job. Anyways, we have had our house listed for 3 months now and have only had 1 person come look to only say "the house is really nice but we don't like the layout". Okay, I understand that and that is no problem. What I don't understand is how we can have ANYONE come look. I know maybe 3 month's isn't long enough to get a contract on the house but not to have hardly ANY showings? I just don't understand. This is the mls of our home 1279388. Please take a look at it and see if there is anything that you would suggest maybe being a reason why people will not come look? I know it's not the price of the home because we have houses in our neighborhood just like ours selling for at least 20k more. I appreciate your response. I just really need to figure out what we need to do to get people in and find a buyer. I need to know if maybe they look at pictures and just don't find it worthy of looking in person. Thanks in advance.
I think you have a nice house. I think the kitchen is fine. You may want to get the weight equipment out of there. Can you stage that room as another bedroom? Maybe declutter where the dog cages are. Can you get the cages out in pics and showings? Although, I love dogs, some people may get turned off in a home that has pets. Make sure you have a mild air freshener out so there is no pet smell. Get all the stuff off the fridge. Maybe stage a little better, get some flowers,etc . As for outside, I definitely think you should get the new pics up with mulch. Can you plant some colorful flowers of maybe get some flower pots with annuals? Otherwise, it looks clean and neat. As for the school, that is a downfall. Although, that is not an issue to everyone. Unfortunately, I don't like cookie cutter neighborhoods or homes on top of one another. I do know people who do like that.

Give it time. It's only been three months. If it's priced right, it will go. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area