U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 02:20 PM

141 posts, read 195,223 times

Advertisements

WhitewaterVol, thanks. I know you're right. I have been looking on and off, casually. We know we can't have brand-new. Honestly after having a 60+ year old house, as long as it's like 20 years old or newer, we will probably be fine with that.

In our price range (and wanting 3 bed + bonus, or 4 bed), there isn't a whole lot available. But there is some, and we just have to keep checking every day. Takes time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:21 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,845,748 times
Okay- just took a quick look. DRfranklin had some good points. This is what I noticed:

You need new photos without the booster seat and cluttered/messy shelves.
Nothing should be on front of fridge.
Bathroom looks cluttered and should be staged, in fact the whole house would benefit from some minimal staging.
The workout room/office looks cluttered.
The backyard needs some sprucing up. I agree with the others about mulch, flowers, etc for curb appeal.
The kitchen looks fine to me too.

Many people will buy cookie-cutter if they like the location and neighborhood in general; I don't see that as an issue.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:22 PM

54 posts, read 44,194 times
Yeah since these pics front yard has been redone and the front room dogs have been removed. Maybe i do need nee pics

Old 07-31-2014, 02:28 PM

635 posts, read 761,812 times
I would look at trying update some of the pictures on the MLS. Some don't really show the house that well. I would get rid of the homemade bench press and tidy that room a bit. Try to stage the sun/morning room and front living room. (I assume that is what the room with dog crates is). Right now both those rooms look like wasted space. Staging does work, because a lot of buyers can't see the potential for the rooms.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 PM

54 posts, read 44,194 times
Thanks for all the great advice.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:18 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,396,604 times
I just took a look at this. I agree with a lot that was said here. Maybe see if you can get new pictures. The pictures of others in your neighborhood look clearer and brighter. Every picture doesn't have to be in panoramic. Declutter more. It helps the prospective buyer's vision of seeing themselves there. Write a better story. Too many times agents just talk about bedrooms etc. What is the best feature of the house? What made you buy? Maybe write a story around that feature allowing the new owners the ability to see themselves enjoying it. And last the Achilles heel. Price. Buyers will try and save money. You have the second highest listing in the neighborhood and the lower priced ones have more outside characteristics. Vinyl/brick combo exteriors etc. The highest price to sell in the last 12 months is 176k, another sold at 165k. Both were immaculate. I hope this helps. Talk to your Realtor.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:41 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,845,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I just took a look at this. I agree with a lot that was said here. Maybe see if you can get new pictures. The pictures of others in your neighborhood look clearer and brighter. Every picture doesn't have to be in panoramic. Declutter more. It helps the prospective buyer's vision of seeing themselves there. Write a better story. Too many times agents just talk about bedrooms etc. What is the best feature of the house? What made you buy? Maybe write a story around that feature allowing the new owners the ability to see themselves enjoying it. And last the Achilles heel. Price. Buyers will try and save money. You have the second highest listing in the neighborhood and the lower priced ones have more outside characteristics. Vinyl/brick combo exteriors etc. The highest price to sell in the last 12 months is 176k, another sold at 165k. Both were immaculate. I hope this helps. Talk to your Realtor.
Very good advice!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,396,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Very good advice!
Thanks. Looking at the other listings in the neighborhood was a great insight. I hope the op gets it sold. Nothing wrong with the house in my opinion.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 PM

271 posts, read 663,481 times
I agree with alot of what has been said. We are in the market, and it's my hobby to look at pics of houses, lol. Your house is cookie-cutter, school are mediocre, small yard, etc, but nothing can be done about those things. If that cuts a buyer out upfront, without looking, so be it. But if they can get past those things, they look at pictures, and frankly, it's your pictures that would
turn me away.

I don't want to see your bathroom clutter, I don't want to see your bedroom mess, I don't want to see your weights, I don't want to see your name all over the wall, etc etc. Granted, I get that you have to LIVE there while you wait for it to sell...but that doesn't mean you couldn't stage it for AT LEAST the day of pictures. I guess my thought process if the owner couldn't even pick up on the day they knew the agent was coming to take pictures, of if they thought this IS clean...the house isn't well-kept. Judgmental, I know, but that is how my mind is working when as I look at houses to buy, trying to picture myself living there, I don't want to see YOUR toiletries. And frankly, any agent that wouldn't have told you that your house needs to be uber-presentable, staged, etc for picture day, isn't a good agent. Look at other houses for sale in your area, your price range, and look at the pics they use. A good agent will tell you there should be no TRACE of YOU in the pics, you meaning your STUFF everywhere. I couldn't get past the stuff, so it was hard for me to notice the actual rooms.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 AM

643 posts, read 923,814 times
Ok, lots of good advice and tips here.

Here's my story and thoughts and experience in selling our home in less than 45 days and having over 30+ showings and ended up with multiple offers.

* We used a rock star realtor that was very aggressive in marketing our home. It was EVERYWHERE.
* When she did a walkthrough she made us clear our 85% of the clutter. Pics and names of kids were GONE. Toys were GONE. Half the living room was GONE. We put it all in a storage unit. The only tihngs we had left was very MINIMALISTIC. Why? We only had 1600 Square Feet and needed to show a house that was uncluttered and big/spacious. It made a huge impact in the space.
* We did some painting and patched up dings and small holes in the walls
* Our realtor priced our home based on comps in the area and the fact we had 2 major cons - a very sloped yard and a steep driveway.
* Showings were crazy and everyone loved the interior, space, and layout. They hated (for the most part) the driveway and yard but we knew that and that was why it was priced the way we wanted and with the amount of people looking at it we knew that it was a numbers game. Ended up getting a total of 3 offers and house sold for full listing price.

It was hard for us to get the house ready. We had to clean, and move stuff, fix stuff but in the end was worth it.

Hope this helps!

oh, forgot one thing. Good Pictures! When we were looking for homes we ruled out 90% based on terrible real estate pictures. Our agent took great pics of our space that minimized the yard, etc.

Here's the Zillow listing for reference: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/71...63664326_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area