U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,056 times

Advertisements

We are going to be relocating to South Carolina before the end of the year. We are liking the areas of Fountain Inn, Simpsonville, Easley, Liberty. What can anyone tell me about these towns. No need for school info except for community colleges. We would like to purchase a home on about an half acre to 1 acre. Coming here with no jobs, the hubby is a bodyman/painter. And a jack of all traits. The cost of living has to be better then living in Illinois. Thank you for any info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 04:14 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,291,677 times
You do realize you posted this in the Illinois forum, right?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 PM

6,269 posts, read 18,835,193 times
pose your question in this forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...rtanburg-area/

Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 AM

8,755 posts, read 13,221,232 times
Other than I wish I could join you... Not much.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 AM

11,544 posts, read 25,921,872 times
Greenville, SC is a pretty town with some nice services. Income taxes in SC are more than IL. I strongly suggest you visit before you move.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,291,677 times
My SIL lives in SC, and has been all over the country (military). She says SC is the worst place she's ever lived, by a long shot. I know that wont influence your decision, but like linicx says, visit before you move. And dont be suckered in by the palmettos and beaches, they dont mean much in life.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Greenville, SC is a pretty town with some nice services. Income taxes in SC are more than IL. I strongly suggest you visit before you move.
I live near Greenville. While our income taxes are high, up to 7%, all other taxes are much lower. If you own a house in Illinois especially, in or around Chicago, your property taxes will be much lower and you'll get more bang for your buck, when you buy down here. Stay away from the coast, if you want to save money.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
My SIL lives in SC, and has been all over the country (military). She says SC is the worst place she's ever lived, by a long shot. I know that wont influence your decision, but like linicx says, visit before you move. And dont be suckered in by the palmettos and beaches, they dont mean much in life.
That depends on which phase your life is in! SC works best for those on fixed income or retired. Sounds like OP is coming regardless.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:14 PM

365 posts, read 393,678 times
South Carolin is undergoing a dramatic demographic shift in some communities. Greenville SC springs to mind. 17 years ago I thought it rather a paradise. Recently I just turned down a very lucrative position there. We came out for 2 weeks to do a test drive of the community before I accepted the position. The demographic shift was rather obvious and I cannot imagine wanting to live there long term. It is still a charming city but you can see the writing on the wall. Same thing happened in Rock Hill.

I would just urge you to decide what type of place you want to live in, use city-data to scope the demographics carefully, and then follow the on-line newspapres. One other thing I found invaluable, is to call other the head of the local Republican and Democratic party and talk to their township chairman. And when you visit in person, you want to talk to a couple of policemen, firemen, and pizza delivery places. You will learn a lot aboutt the city quickly that way.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:15 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,120,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofthecold View Post
We are going to be relocating to South Carolina before the end of the year. We are liking the areas of Fountain Inn, Simpsonville, Easley, Liberty. What can anyone tell me about these towns. No need for school info except for community colleges. We would like to purchase a home on about an half acre to 1 acre. Coming here with no jobs, the hubby is a bodyman/painter. And a jack of all traits. The cost of living has to be better then living in Illinois. Thank you for any info!!
The main community college in the area is Greenville Tech. It is a large community college with multiple campuses spread out around Greenville County. There is a wide range of programs offered there, and many of the health related programs are quite competitive to get a spot into them.

In the current economy, I would be very reluctant to move anywhere without a job. Greenville tends to have a lot of manufacturing related jobs. BMW has a large paint and body shop - not sure if experience at a repair shop would help get a job there or not.

I agree with others that it is a good idea to visit first. If you can come in the fall, it is wonderful here through most of October. There is an event downtown called Fall for Greenville where they have local restaurants set-up tents and sell small samples. It's a great way to experience a lot of what is offered all at one time.

The Upstate SC area isn't for everyone but I like it a lot. Why? Mainly because I like to spend time outdoors and we have lots of places to hike, camp, kayak, and many beautiful places to visit that are just a short drive from town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or