U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 18,773 times

Advertisements

I think many of us leaving california dont want a big city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 11:15 PM

5,638 posts, read 5,583,412 times
A lot of your "cons" are pros for many of us that were fortunate to have escaped TPROC (The People's Republic of California; absurdly high taxes, narcissism as the state religion, although tolerance is professed, the liberal elite, only tolerate those that they agree with, the potholes in freeways in Socal are so big, small suburbs reside in them (although signage and sidewalks are better, I grant you that). As far as heat, the inversion in the summer traps all of the brown smog in the Valley, so although the 98 degrees may not be humid, it's hot like a dirty oven. If you profess to love America in Socal, many assume you are a racist that hates Mexico. We love our move to the Carolinas and do not miss SoCal at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiClaire View Post
I'm a native Californian who is also from San Diego and lived in Greenville for 10 years. We recently relocated to the Charlotte, NC area so I've got some insight about what Greenville is like compared to SoCal or Cali in general:

1. Be warned, this is the BIBLE BELT. Nearly everyone will ask you where you go to church on a regular basis. Coming from Cali where faith is a very private thing, I was quite surprised by this. If you are non-religious I recommend you tell them you "home church" and that usually ends the conversation nicely.

2. Greenville is definitely a slower pace and the people are very friendly. At first it will kind of freak you out when everyone starts a conversation with you. They really aren't going to mug you later, they are just that friendly.

3. The roads are AWFUL. That is not an exaggeration. There is no shoulder, no bike lane, no median. The streets and roads are quite narrow and it will take time to get used to. The neighborhoods rarely have sidewalks, which seemed like insanity to me, considering that CA has had them everywhere for about 50 years .

4. People are much more conservative and basically behind the times. I'm no bleeding liberal by a long shot, but if someone gay or unmarried had moved into my neighborhood, people would have had a heart attack. This is very traditional country and not what you would call "progressive". For instance, my kids still made "Indian Vests" during Thanksgiving one year. Can you imagine how that would have gone over in Cali? Someone would have filed a lawsuit for not using the term Native American.

5. Greenville is a small town, too small for my taste. We have enjoyed being closer to a large city and I didn't realize how much I missed it. The downtown is lovely, but there isn't much more than that.

6. Schools are hit or miss. Be careful. Greenville County is one of the largest districts in the nation and that makes it tough. The district is very much a "good ole boys" network and I am very happy to have my kids out of it. There are some good schools, mainly in Simpsonville, Greer and Mauldin.

7. The weather is very different. The seasons are gorgeous, but it will be much hotter/colder than you are used to in SoCal. Everyone asks me how I handle the humidity. You get used to it!

I know how you feel about escaping the rat race of CA. I could never go back there to live. It's too crazy now with too many problems. Greenville is not a bad place to live, but I would highly recommend you look in the Charlotte/Fort Mill area or the Raleigh Durham area. You will get great value for your housing dollar and a more progressive feel, with all of the Southern Charm.

Feel free to send me a private message with any questions. Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 09-10-2014, 09:47 PM

5 posts, read 12,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite9150 View Post
Hi Kelly, Im from San Diego and very much considering the same move! You are right about it being so expensive, I am thinking it just isnt worth it anymore. Plus with greenvilles booming automotive manufacturing industry its exactly where I want to be! I am hoping to visit in the next month or so.
Hey! Cool to see other Californians looking at Greenville too. It's so nice here in CA but can't really enjoy it when it so expensive to live lol. I'm currently saving up to visit too.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I'm a native Californian who is also from San Diego and lived in Greenville for 10 years. We recently relocated to the Charlotte, NC area so I've got some insight about what Greenville is like compared to SoCal or Cali in general:

1. Be warned, this is the BIBLE BELT. Nearly everyone will ask you where you go to church on a regular basis. Coming from Cali where faith is a very private thing, I was quite surprised by this. If you are non-religious I recommend you tell them you "home church" and that usually ends the conversation nicely.

2. Greenville is definitely a slower pace and the people are very friendly. At first it will kind of freak you out when everyone starts a conversation with you. They really aren't going to mug you later, they are just that friendly.

3. The roads are AWFUL. That is not an exaggeration. There is no shoulder, no bike lane, no median. The streets and roads are quite narrow and it will take time to get used to. The neighborhoods rarely have sidewalks, which seemed like insanity to me, considering that CA has had them everywhere for about 50 years .

4. People are much more conservative and basically behind the times. I'm no bleeding liberal by a long shot, but if someone gay or unmarried had moved into my neighborhood, people would have had a heart attack. This is very traditional country and not what you would call "progressive". For instance, my kids still made "Indian Vests" during Thanksgiving one year. Can you imagine how that would have gone over in Cali? Someone would have filed a lawsuit for not using the term Native American.

5. Greenville is a small town, too small for my taste. We have enjoyed being closer to a large city and I didn't realize how much I missed it. The downtown is lovely, but there isn't much more than that.

6. Schools are hit or miss. Be careful. Greenville County is one of the largest districts in the nation and that makes it tough. The district is very much a "good ole boys" network and I am very happy to have my kids out of it. There are some good schools, mainly in Simpsonville, Greer and Mauldin.

7. The weather is very different. The seasons are gorgeous, but it will be much hotter/colder than you are used to in SoCal. Everyone asks me how I handle the humidity. You get used to it!

I know how you feel about escaping the rat race of CA. I could never go back there to live. It's too crazy now with too many problems. Greenville is not a bad place to live, but I would highly recommend you look in the Charlotte/Fort Mill area or the Raleigh Durham area. You will get great value for your housing dollar and a more progressive feel, with all of the Southern Charm.

Feel free to send me a private message with any questions. Best of luck to you and your family!
Hey AndiClaire, thanks for the advice! It really helps! I think I would like the small town feel but I'm thinking once I'm living there I might need a large city! Your reply was definitely good to read

Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiakelly View Post
I live in Southern California (born and raised) and am considering moving to Greenville SC. I love California but it is so expensive and too much traffic (7 miles is 35 min drive after 4pm). I'm just not down with working to just to barely be making enough to pay the bills. I've lived all over southern OC and in riverside county (Temecula winery area). Temecula is a lot slower pace compared to OC and San Diego but it's constantly growing to where there is constant road construction to widen roads due to rapid growth. So I'm looking for a little hidden gem and I'm thinking Greenville SC? Somewhere that's not too much of a shock. I have only visited Connecticut on the east coast, some feedback would be great!
After reading everyone's responses, I realized I should have mentioned that I'm in my mid 20's, beach/hippie girl that just works as a server. I do like being outdoors so South Carolina kinda interests me because it seems like you can live an outdoors-y life style through out the year. Whether it's lakes, rock climbing, runnng, hiking, or the beach. I like a lot of activity lol.

I guess with the shock I mentioned, I'm afraid there may be a lack of people my age in Greenville. Maybe another thing is even weather shock. I know it gets colder in SC than CA but I'm sure it's not as bad as the North East. But I know I'm a wimp lol.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurx View Post
I can't agree with any of the above comments Kelly. That just means we all look at places with different eyes and needs. I love Greenville. Actually, I'm in Travelers Rest but spend entertainment time in Greenville - theater, dining, dancing, tennis.

I moved here 7 years ago from Banning, CA (a country town) and I grew up in Fallbrook. My Mom taught in Temecula many years ago. I know how it's grown.

Some people recommended suburbs of Columbia or locations near the beach over Greenville. I've talked to so many people from Columbia who would never move back. It and the beach are quite hot, quite level, and yes, growing fast. But Greenville is growing fast enough to have low unemployment. Maybe they think a town should grow overnight into a large city to be attractive. That doesn't attract me. I like the reasonable size of Greenville, the beauty of the downtown, and the nice people.

If you make friends in educated circles, with eclectic people who are professionals or at least have moved in from out of state (many here from the NorthEast and Florida and Michigan area) you aren't going to bump into the vocal "church" crowd much. I found it very rare to be asked about my religious affiliation. Once at a garage sale I remember. Maybe another one or 2 times in 7 years. Don't worry. I doubt you'll be shocked coming from Temecula.

And Greer (some say) to avoid? I think it's adorable. Great restaurants, nice neighborhoods. All it needs is a downtown Cineplex (which Simpsonville, a little town south of Greenville now has) and it will be a nice hangout for a lot of people.

It all depends on what level of activity and what types of activities and friends you need to feel comfortable. Greenville is only 20 miles from the Blue Ridge escarpment (North Carolina line) which is a fantastic region for hiking and kayaking. Not many areas of many states are this close to outdoor beauty and adventure without sitting right on the border of a national park!

Keep asking questions with specifics to learn more, and good luck.
Hey! Fallbrook is not too far! And have some family in Banning! Ya I don't mind a little drive. One thing about Murrieta is that it's, and you probably know, in the middle of everything: mountains, beach, LA, San Diego, Palm Springs. All within an hour away. Greenville seems like that? quiet town with coast, some city near by? outdoorsy stuff? I also work in a restaurant and wonder is there a lot of restaurants there? All different types-fine dining? casual dining? Thanks so much for the read!

Old 09-11-2014, 09:56 AM

660 posts, read 805,992 times
Default Weather and Housing Cost in NC?

Thanks for this AndiClaire - great information! I am considering a move to Greenville myself, but not from California ... from Western New York (after 13 years in Seattle). I cannot stand the weather here. I have been looking for somewhere warmer and sunnier for a while now, and ruled out Austin and Charleston due to cost of living issues (and other places for other reasons), and have been really impressed by what people have told me about Greenville . . . though I know as a gay liberal I'll be in the minority there.

I would consider Charlotte or Raleigh Durham except that the weather doesn't seem to be as warm, which is a main reason I am moving. Also, do you REALLY get more for your money when it comes to housing? In all honesty, it seems that in every forum I look at someone tells me that I'll get more bang for my buck somewhere else. Just curious as to what your thoughts are.

THANKS!

Quote:

Old 09-11-2014, 11:33 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,110,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Thanks for this AndiClaire - great information! I am considering a move to Greenville myself, but not from California ... from Western New York (after 13 years in Seattle). I cannot stand the weather here. I have been looking for somewhere warmer and sunnier for a while now, and ruled out Austin and Charleston due to cost of living issues (and other places for other reasons), and have been really impressed by what people have told me about Greenville . . . though I know as a gay liberal I'll be in the minority there.

I would consider Charlotte or Raleigh Durham except that the weather doesn't seem to be as warm, which is a main reason I am moving. Also, do you REALLY get more for your money when it comes to housing? In all honesty, it seems that in every forum I look at someone tells me that I'll get more bang for my buck somewhere else. Just curious as to what your thoughts are.

THANKS!
We used to live in the Raleigh area. The climate is very similar with temperatures almost the same most of the year. It is much less conservative in just about every way (that could be good or bad depending on what you want). Raleigh is about the same distance to the beach but much further to the mountains. Despite what some cost of living calculators say, we found that the cost of living in Raleigh was substantially higher than here in the upstate of SC.

I've never lived in Charlotte, but just passing through, the traffic there is bad enough for me to know I never want to live there.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 PM

660 posts, read 805,992 times
Default Good data!

Thanks WhitewaterVol - this is good data! :-)

Old 09-11-2014, 03:38 PM

4,568 posts, read 3,653,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
We used to live in the Raleigh area. The climate is very similar with temperatures almost the same most of the year.
I lived in Chapel Hill for five years and can verify the climate's similar. Hot muggy summers, long, beautiful autumns and springs, relatively mild winters. A two inch snowfall is a major event and everyone rushes to the stores to stiock up ... But the snow or ice is almost always gone in a day or two. Most of the winter I got by with sweaters and light jackets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or