U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 PM

10,341 posts, read 20,602,909 times

Advertisements

More info: Feds Confirm: Animals Suffering at Hollywild Animal Park | PressReleasePoint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 PM

11,803 posts, read 26,739,895 times
That's sad I just bought a Groupon to this place. I hope they get things straightened out real soon.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 PM

200 posts, read 201,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
That's sad I just bought a Groupon to this place. I hope they get things straightened out real soon.
Don't count on it.

I went once (and only once) when I was young on a field trip in 1990 or 1991 when I was in 5th grade. I still remember how miserable the animals seemed to be in very small cages and how ill-kept it was.

A few years after that, I first heard of there being official complaints about their "treatment" (and I use the term loosely) of the animals they had. I've heard from various others throughout the years that it was still as depressing and horrible as ever. Looks like things never change. And unfortunately, until people stop going, nothing ever will I'm afraid.

And least anyone assume I'm anti-zoo/"animals on display", we are (and have been, since they sent their elephants to a sanctuary) season pass holders to the Detroit Zoo.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 AM

126 posts, read 181,292 times
We go every year and we just went yesterday and we've never noticed anything worse than any other zoo. If you want to see some sickly animals try visiting the zoo in Kyiv, Ukraine. I guess we don't look as closely as others.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:48 PM

643 posts, read 921,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roozle1976 View Post
We go every year and we just went yesterday and we've never noticed anything worse than any other zoo. If you want to see some sickly animals try visiting the zoo in Kyiv, Ukraine. I guess we don't look as closely as others.
Hah..that's a distance. I think Ukraine has survival on mind for people rather than animals right now...

Old 09-02-2014, 03:06 PM

9,398 posts, read 7,025,877 times
Last time I went was about 7 or 8 years ago.. Wasn't really impressed with the place.

Most zoos are in better shape than that place. I even went to an alligator/reptile zoo in Luray, VA that was much older, but in better shape than Hollywild.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:15 PM

4,875 posts, read 6,310,066 times
Family was in from FL in June and took the kids there - it was not nice at all. The parents didn't even want to go their safari ride. It was the first time I'd ben since moving here, I wasn't impressed at all, quite the opposite. I saw animals pacing back and forth non-stop in their cages where you could see the path they created, it was quite sad. There was only one animal area being "beautified" but the other ones looked pretty run down.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 PM

10,341 posts, read 20,602,909 times
Local media now catching this story: USDA confirms investigation into Hollywild - FOX Carolina 21 Not good for the park.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:12 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,717,829 times
This is so sad. My family and I have been a couple of times. The first time was in the Summer of 2012. Things seemed to be okay at that time. We have also visited their Zoolight Safari, and that was absolutely shameful. Before entering we were told we could not give our own food, such as carrots, apples, or anything else. We bought their food, which happened to be month old Rosemary & Olive Oil crackers, last I checked is not advised for any animals diet.

Upon entering the open area for feeding and photo opportunities, nothing had any kind of trail or path to follow. Animals were scared to death running in herds, cars were going in every direction, many times we almost saw animals about to be hit with vehicles. The trail ends with a trip to Santa's Village, not sure of the correct name. There is urine and feces everywhere, the stench is everywhere. Not to mention so many of these animals were obviously freezing. We encountered many animals with open wounds, and many who seemed to be in extreme stress. Definitely took away our Christmas spirit.

Thank goodness to the brave soul who reported and secretly videotaped the treatment of these animals. I do believe there are some very good zoo's in the country, we were very impressed with the Columbia Zoo. Sadly the best treatment I have seen of animals in Greenville County is at The Roper Mountain Science Center.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:19 PM

65 posts, read 92,701 times
Electrical fire killed 19 animals this morning over there. I'd say it seems suspicious if they weren't that incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or