Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:39 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,543,996 times

Advertisements

I was up in Anderson visiting over night when I needed to go to the liquor store around 9pm. Well, obviously when I got there the place was closed and I stopped in a nearby store to ask if it was a holiday or something. I'm told no they all must close by 7. I'm like 7??? What the hell for? Buying it at 9 is somehow more dangerous than buying it at 7? Why are they closed so early? I've stopped by the store at home after 11 and they're still open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 05:18 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
In a nutshell:

Ephesians 5:18 - And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Proverbs 20:1 - Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Galatians 5:19-21 - Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, (Read More...)

Luke 21:34 - And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and [so] that day come upon you unawares.

Isaiah 28:7 - But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble [in] judgment.

1 Timothy 5:23 - Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Proverbs 23:29-35 - Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? (Read More...)

Proverbs 23:20 - Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:

Galatians 5:21 - Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Romans 13:13 - Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

Matthew 24:49 - And shall begin to smite [his] fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

Jeremiah 25:27 - Therefore thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Drink ye, and be drunken, and spue, and fall, and rise no more, because of the sword which I will send among you.

Isaiah 28:8 - For all tables are full of vomit [and] filthiness, [so that there is] no place [clean].

Isaiah 24:9 - They shall not drink wine with a song; strong drink shall be bitter to them that drink it.

Isaiah 5:22 - Woe unto [them that are] mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:

Isaiah 5:11 - Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, [that] they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, [till] wine inflame them!

1 Corinthians 6:10 - Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Matthew 11:19 - The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Hosea 4:11 - Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Ezekiel 23:33 - Thou shalt be filled with drunkenness and sorrow, with the cup of astonishment and desolation, with the cup of thy sister Samaria.

Isaiah 56:12 - Come ye, [say they], I will fetch wine, and we will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to morrow shall be as this day, [and] much more abundant.

BIBLE VERSES ABOUT DRUNKENNESS

Old 09-06-2014, 06:25 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
(LOL at Art above)

Per SC state law, "off premise" liquor is only sold between 9am-7pm Monday-Saturday; no liquor sales on Sunday; no liquor sales on election days; low alcohol wine and beer can be sold 24 hours/day; "on premise" closing times are local option

"off premise" county exceptions are: Aiken, Greenville, Spartanburg, Horry County, Colleton County, Richland County, Charleston County/city, Beaufort County, York County, & Newberry County

(information above per Wikipedia)

Last edited by drfranklin; 09-06-2014 at 06:38 AM..

Old 09-07-2014, 11:08 AM

141 posts, read 240,529 times
OP, I feel your pain That is something we have had to get used to, moving from MN last year. Liquor stores up there were open until 10 pm, I think. Or at *least* 9 pm, I can't remember.

Anyway, we find it to be a PITA because we have little kids, so frequently one of us will run out to do some errands in the evening when the kids are in bed. Can't do the liquor store then! Already closed. Craziness.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:21 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
I think the election day one was just repealed wasn't it? Looks like it.. South Carolina lawmakers repeal Election Day alcohol sales ban | Reuters

Up until.. maybe 6 or 7 years ago.. If you went into a bar, restaurant, whatever, and got a mixed drink.. It was made from a mini-bottle. There was no free pour. People would complain that their drinks were too strong, because every drink was 1.5oz of alcohol.. And then some drinks, such as a Long Island Iced Tea.. You couldn't make just one drink because of that. Pitcher was about the only way it could be made.

I think it's only been 10-15 years or so that you could buy a drink in a restaurant anywhere other than Myrtle Beach on Sundays... There was a big to-do when the Panthers played in Death Valley their first season about buying beer in the stadium on Sundays.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:56 PM

696 posts, read 1,334,906 times
Just left the UP of Michigan this morning. You can buy liquor in MI in a gas station (or grocery store) if you want it. Perhaps a bit scary if you're concerned about drunken drivers, but it's available. Arrived in Lexington KY this evening for a layover on the way back to SC and didn't feel the need to purchase anything stronger than beer, but again, it's an option (though Kentucky does have some quirky county-by-county laws).

South Carolina is still just backwards when it comes to its restrictions on alcohol sales.

Last edited by Eric_96SC; 09-07-2014 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: Pun,ctu.ation

Old 09-09-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
In a nutshell:

Ephesians 5:18 - And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Proverbs 20:1 - Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Galatians 5:19-21 - Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, (Read More...)

Luke 21:34 - And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and [so] that day come upon you unawares.

Isaiah 28:7 - But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble [in] judgment.

1 Timothy 5:23 - Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Proverbs 23:29-35 - Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? (Read More...)

Proverbs 23:20 - Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:

Galatians 5:21 - Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Romans 13:13 - Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

Matthew 24:49 - And shall begin to smite [his] fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

Jeremiah 25:27 - Therefore thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Drink ye, and be drunken, and spue, and fall, and rise no more, because of the sword which I will send among you.

Isaiah 28:8 - For all tables are full of vomit [and] filthiness, [so that there is] no place [clean].

Isaiah 24:9 - They shall not drink wine with a song; strong drink shall be bitter to them that drink it.

Isaiah 5:22 - Woe unto [them that are] mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:

Isaiah 5:11 - Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, [that] they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, [till] wine inflame them!

1 Corinthians 6:10 - Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Matthew 11:19 - The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Hosea 4:11 - Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Ezekiel 23:33 - Thou shalt be filled with drunkenness and sorrow, with the cup of astonishment and desolation, with the cup of thy sister Samaria.

Isaiah 56:12 - Come ye, [say they], I will fetch wine, and we will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to morrow shall be as this day, [and] much more abundant.

BIBLE VERSES ABOUT DRUNKENNESS
This has what to do with the government regulation of liquor? Pretty sure the church isn't serving anything stronger than wine do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
(LOL at Art above)

Per SC state law, "off premise" liquor is only sold between 9am-7pm Monday-Saturday; no liquor sales on Sunday; no liquor sales on election days; low alcohol wine and beer can be sold 24 hours/day; "on premise" closing times are local option

"off premise" county exceptions are: Aiken, Greenville, Spartanburg, Horry County, Colleton County, Richland County, Charleston County/city, Beaufort County, York County, & Newberry County

(information above per Wikipedia)
But that just means you can buy a drink at a bar/restaurant correct? That still has no effect on liquor stores though does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinphilly View Post
Just left the UP of Michigan this morning. You can buy liquor in MI in a gas station (or grocery store) if you want it. Perhaps a bit scary if you're concerned about drunken drivers, but it's available. Arrived in Lexington KY this evening for a layover on the way back to SC and didn't feel the need to purchase anything stronger than beer, but again, it's an option (though Kentucky does have some quirky county-by-county laws).

South Carolina is still just backwards when it comes to its restrictions on alcohol sales.
I knew the state was backwards but this restriction seems extreme even by their standards. I thought trying to pray away the gays took their thoughts off of liquor.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:55 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
But that just means you can buy a drink at a bar/restaurant correct? That still has no effect on liquor stores though does it?
"off premise" includes private liquor stores

Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
"off premise" means you buy the liquor and then take it somewhere else to drink it - this would be the regulations covering ABC stores.

"on premise" rules would cover bars, etc.

I agree that this is a silly rule. Controlling liquor sales through the ABC is also silly. Sell liquor permits and let the private market operate the stores and determine the hours they want to sell on their own. There really is no defense for barring sales on Sundays except on religious grounds and that shouldn't drive government policy.

Silly that I can't buy a beer on Sunday except in a few counties that the state has given an exception - what is the basis for that rule? There really is no defensible basis for excepting a small handful of counties from a rule that applies to everyone else.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
"off premise" includes private liquor stores
So what time do liquor stores close in Greenville county then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area