U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 10:28 PM

46 posts, read 46,851 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My girlfriend and I are looking at a possible move to Greenville, SC within the next year and we are getting some apartment prospects in mind. We've looked at the apartment sites (rent.com, etc.) but we've found in our previous moves that it's usually smarter to speak with people who are in the area. We're wondering if you all could help us get some ideas. We have made a move to Hawaii recently (6 months) and strongly dislike it here and really want to plan this move much more in advance. Want to have our ducks in a row. So here's what we are looking for.

1. We are looking for a one bedroom or studio.
2. Enjoy wooded settings.
3. Like the buildings to be somewhat spread out.
4. A pool table, exercise room and place to grill would be awesome but aren't all necessary. I know a pool table is tough to find, however so I don't expect to have everything.
5. We have no children and do not plan to have any so playgrounds aren't necessary for us.
6. Balcony/patio would be great.
7. Fireplace would also be a plus for the colder months. We hate forced air but it's not a deal killer by any means.
8. Washer/dryer in unit or W/D hookup is quite important to us. If it were the perfect place we may let it go but it holds weight.
8. When we lived in Rochester, NY we lived in the perfect complex that had a garage beneath each apartment and all living areas were located above that garage. They all had private entrances. To find something like this would be great again. We had a view of the woods from our balcony.

I know these are all specifics and I've included a lot of details but I've found that when you give all the information up front it usually helps us all in going back and forth repeatedly. These things aren't absolute musts but having a bit of privacy is. I would pay more to have some privacy before amenities. Otherwise we will look at renting a home if there's nothing available. The overall setup of the complex and a little privacy in the woods is more important than anything.

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to your responses.

Aloha from Kevin and Roxi in Hawaii!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 06:22 AM

226 posts, read 283,081 times
Hi Kevin and Roxi!

What is your budget per month? There are some really nice complexes in the Greenville area but it all depends on what you guys can afford. The Enclave at Paris Mountain is newer, has garages (they are separate, not the apartment above kind) and are really nice. There is also a rental area called The Homestead at Hartness which is nice. They are mostly rental homes, but their smaller units are more like apartments with garages below.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Thanks so much for the reply! We are thinking we would like to spend no more than $800-$875 on a one bedroom. That's at the very top of our budget. We are moving to get back to a regular lifestyle and to get back to waterfall hiking and nature (believe it or not hiking here in Hawaii doesn't even come close to the hiking of the east). If just one of us found a job making closer to $45,000 we would probably be able to jump to the $950 range assuming utilities in Greenville are not outrageous. As of now we are setting our sights at two $40,000/yr jobs and if that happens our budget will be in the $800-$875 range.

Everything we have read about Greenville seems to point in the direction of a solid strong job market. We both have Business Mgt/Marketing dual major bachelor's degrees with administrative, sales and solid business experience. I also have some construction experience. I know this is off topic but if the market in Greenville isn't as good as what we have read please throw the red flag for me.

In our leisure time we love to go for long walks in the woods also. We could do this five days a week if we were somewhat close to city or state parks. I'm not sure if Greenville has much of that. In NY it was not uncommon for us to walk 5 miles in the woods after work. The closer we are to these things, the better, if they are available.

So, with all of that being said (I apologize for the lengthy reply), lets maybe shoot for an average of $825/mth, give or take a little. Space means nothing to us really. We currently live in 362 square feet. We know we will only find something larger at this point.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:11 PM

Wow, Enclave looks pretty close to what we are looking for. The one bed with the larger washer and dryer (non-stackable) is a little higher than we would like to pay but I guess that will all depend on our ability to find a really good paying job. The Homestead is definitely out of the price range I think. $1,200 for a 1BR/1BTH looks worth it but I think we would look at purchasing a home after six months or so before spending that kind of money. These were two awesome suggestions for us. They both look like they have access to a nature trail. Thanks so much for the help! If anybody has any other ideas please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or