U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 08:01 AM

80 posts, read 77,478 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving to Greer at the end of the year. Son is a 17yo junior and is worried about finding a new team for next year. He is a Pitcher/1B. Any recommendations/advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM

271 posts, read 659,880 times
The Upstate Mavericks. They are the real deal....hired coaches, normally former professional players, high school/college coaches, not "daddy coaches". One of the owners is a scout for the Mets. Several players have went on to college ball, and even drafted by MLB. They travel around the Southeast. Nice thing about them is they have a real facility, batting cages, etc. So year round practice available. It's in Lyman, so super convienent to Greer. My son participated with them, until he decided he didn't want to play baseball anymore . They normally do try-outs for the Spring, in November or so. If you won't be here by then, you may want to contact them to see if you can get a personal try-out, or maybe come down for the weekend, so you can participate in the try-outs.

Upstate Mavericks | Showcase Baseball Organization

Old 09-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Oh, one more thing...the only other "major" travel team I'm aware of is at The West End Academy. I know they do travel teams,.....though as a Maverick, we only ever saw them at a few tournaments held in Easley (a town just down the road from Greenville, that has a pretty major baseball set-up...the fields get one of the World Series events...Little league or something). But any of the other tournaments we were in, in Atlanta, or Charlotte, and various towns in between, we never saw West End...so not sure how major they are. But they do have a facility, and they do their try-outs about the same time in November. They have a website as well, last I knew.

Others can share if they know any other teams...but most others in the area will be "daddy coach" type teams. Maybe that's alright, but we just got tired of the politics that comes along with that....and if your son is wanting to get exposure to college scouts.....daddy coach teams just ain't gonna cut it.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:56 AM

Thanks samiis! I'm going to try to set up a try out while we visit next month. Is travel ball normally year round in SC? Here in IN the season starts after high school ball is over in June, then goes until the end of July. Starts up again with practices in Jan until March. Saw that Riverside had a fall team and just wondering how different it is down there.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:50 PM

Travel ball is year round if you want it to be. Here high school baseball is over by mid-May. Try-outs typically in early Feb. Practices start mid-late Feb. Games start in March. High schools do have a unofficial fall league. Alot more laid back, etc. Just a way to keep the boys on the field in the off-season. But travel teams do a fall season as well. We did the Mavericks for fall season. Optional practices during the week, and then tournaments every weekend. That was a rough fall season because my son was also doing football. But anyhoo, the fall season isn't quite as intense, in terms of travel. It was more local tournaments, ie within an hour drive, and just Sat-Sun. Whereas as summer travel ball was much more like Thur-Sun tournaments, and we traveled as far as Atlanta, and Charlotte (this was as a 15U team). I know the older boys even went down to Palm Beach FL for the Perfect Game tournaments (apparently this is a MAJOR scouting event). Perfect Game has opened fields in Atlanta now though. The older boys also went up to Virginia for week long tournaments. So they are doing BIG trips.

So anyhoo, the typical schedule:
-Fall: Travel Tryouts usually mid-August...games through November. Often the players on the travel teams for fall dwindle down a bit...some choose to focus on football instead. School fall ball starts up once school is in session, and they usually have games on Thursday evenings. Much more casual environment, it's definately not the hard-core Spring season environment, and not all schools are participating.
-Winter: Unofficial winter workouts...anyone interested in trying out for the team could come out to the field, and they'd do running, etc. NOT official team practice, as that would be against state athletic regulations.
-Spring: School try-outs gear up early Feb. Season official starts March, and over by mid-May. Travel ball will do try-outs in Nov of prior year....optional practices throught out winter/spring...it's understood that most of these players are on school teams, so the travel team doesn't do much until school season is over...may have a few Saturday practices in early May. Travel ball gears up by end of May...definately plan on a tournament Memorial Day weekend....and by end of July, it's pretty much over. Then the cycle starts over again in August.

I'm sharing all this based on our experience with the Mavericks and my son's high school team (not Riverside, but a Greenville County high school, so it's likely not much different).

My son has played baseball since age 4, starting in FL, and All-Star teams and then travel teams since he was about 10. So we are a huge baseball family...love it! Sadly, he decided he didn't want to play anymore this past summer, and wants to focus on football. Of course his decision so we support it, but won't say we werent' a bit heartbroken, and didn't quite know what to do with ourselves this past summer!

Good luck to your son..and have fun at the baseball tournaments!

Old 09-20-2014, 12:07 PM

Lol, my wife and I would much rather be at football games than baseball. But it's his dream not ours. Thanks again for all the help. We set up a meet with the Mavericks for next month and my son is very excited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or