U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:58 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,101,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
Rize guys.....wish they still had Skip Church tho.

I was an Opie and Anthony fan back in the day when they were on in NYC on WNEW. Those guys did the craziest, funniest stuff ever done on public radio. There's no way I'd pay for satellite radio unfortunately so I can't listen to them anymore. They used to have a running stunt called WOW or "whip'em out Wednesday" If you put a WOW Opie and Anthony bumper sticker on your car female fans of the show would randomly flash you while driving down the road. BEST RADIO PROMOTION EVER!
That'd be the Opie and Norton show, now. Anthony was fired a few months ago.

I never cared for O&A.. Too.. Everything. Didn't, and don't, care for John Boy and Billy because the show is too structured. Did enjoy Don and Mike.. Big O and Dukes, The Hideout and Ron and Fez. I wasn't a fan of Howard Stern, either.. And still am not. I actually remember first hearing him on DC-101 in the early 80's.. Calling up Air Florida and trying to buy a ticket to the 14th street bridge.

Many people think he was the one who did the joke about MLK (You've heard it before).. That was actually his replacement on DC-101.. The Greaseman.. Who, holy crap, we could fill a book about.. And not a good book.

WPEK, when it was on 98.1 here was a pretty decent "Guy Talk" station. You had Dr Laura, yeah.. But D&M, Liddy (Old man made me laugh) and Loveline.. Don't remember what their morning show was.. Then it was sold and became Hot 98.1..

I went satellite a few years ago. That's all I listen to now.. 80's on 8.. Classic Rewind, NFL games..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 06:10 AM

215 posts, read 228,918 times
I only heard one song during my 20 minute commute this morning on 102.5 This does not bode well... IMO

Old 09-22-2014, 07:13 AM

2,386 posts, read 2,143,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
maybe it's a generational thing (29 here), but I've never found those kind of morning shows very entertaining. They always seem like the lowest common denominator / reality tv shows of the radio world to me. I do remember my parents listening to John Boy and Billy and I know the others mentioned in this thread as well, but my wife and I tend to listen to our own music or something like NPR in the mornings and a lot of my peers are similar when I've discussed it with them.
Exactly! I tend to listen to Spotify in the mornings. I sometimes listen to 98X but they tend to play too much pop music for a station that claims to be alternative. I'd listen to the Planet if they'd just shut up and play music. All of their fake comedy gags are ridiculously fake and really aim at the lowest IQ listener possible. Then again, I also hate most reality TV, and most people think it is great.....

Old 09-22-2014, 12:13 PM

3,471 posts, read 4,359,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Would have thought Bob and Sheri would have been a much better fit for 102.5. Has 102.5 gotten more current with their playlist?. It used to be so 80's for a long time. Ace and TJ seem like they would be a better fit for a station like B93.7 (teens to early 30's). Both morning teams (Bob/Sheri and Ace/TJ) are fantastic though.
They are keeping individual separate music playlists on 96.1 and 102.5, and Ace and TJ are only simulcast with the talk aspect between the music. Channel 96.1 is a hit music format, and My 102.5 is more hot adult contemporary.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:20 PM

931 posts, read 1,292,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Exactly! I tend to listen to Spotify in the mornings. I sometimes listen to 98X but they tend to play too much pop music for a station that claims to be alternative. I'd listen to the Planet if they'd just shut up and play music. All of their fake comedy gags are ridiculously fake and really aim at the lowest IQ listener possible. Then again, I also hate most reality TV, and most people think it is great.....
Feel the same way. I tend to listen to 98.5 as do most people I know. I like that I don't have to hear people talk while I'm driving. Even their commercials are less annoying than the other station's. Then either Google Play Music or Pandora for me.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:51 PM

2,386 posts, read 2,143,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Feel the same way. I tend to listen to 98.5 as do most people I know. I like that I don't have to hear people talk while I'm driving. Even their commercials are less annoying than the other station's. Then either Google Play Music or Pandora for me.
Speaking of annoying commercials - is it just me or do other people find the "Gillstrap Family Dealership" commercials incredibly annoying? As soon as that guy starts talking, I instantly change the station.

Spotify has a really wide range of music available - I've found stuff on there I couldn't find on Pandora.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:08 PM

931 posts, read 1,292,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Speaking of annoying commercials - is it just me or do other people find the "Gillstrap Family Dealership" commercials incredibly annoying? As soon as that guy starts talking, I instantly change the station.

Spotify has a really wide range of music available - I've found stuff on there I couldn't find on Pandora.
Lol I actually think his commercials are funny. He has so many sayings and puns that I start to memorize them and make fun of him with my passengers.

Use Spotify sometimes but since I pay for Google Play, I use it almost exclusively for my library, research and radio needs.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 AM

19,986 posts, read 18,965,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Would have thought Bob and Sheri would have been a much better fit for 102.5. Has 102.5 gotten more current with their playlist?. It used to be so 80's for a long time. Ace and TJ seem like they would be a better fit for a station like B93.7 (teens to early 30's). Both morning teams (Bob/Sheri and Ace/TJ) are fantastic though.
WMYI-FM 102.5 has transited from adult contemporary to hit music. WSPA-FM 98.9 has gone the same way. Fortunately, there is an alternative in WRTH-FM 103.3, which features Bill Love and Lee Alexander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwd View Post
I only heard one song during my 20 minute commute this morning on 102.5 This does not bode well... IMO
For any music station, more commercials and talk and less music equal lost ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area