Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:30 PM

5,133 posts, read 7,277,556 times

Advertisements

At long last, the Ace and TJ Morning Show will find a local home in the Upstate on My 102.5 beginning Monday Sept. 22. The program can also be heard in many areas of the Upstate on its originating station, Channel 96.1 from Charlotte. But now they will have a wider coverage area. This popular morning show originally debuted on Kiss 95.1 but moved to Channel 96.1 a few years ago. Both 96.1 and 102.5 are owned by Clear Channel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 PM

21,007 posts, read 27,059,000 times
Like John Boy and Billy, did Ace and T.J. start out as a local show that is expanding into adjacent states?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:07 AM

183 posts, read 301,991 times
Rize guys.....wish they still had Skip Church tho.

I was an Opie and Anthony fan back in the day when they were on in NYC on WNEW. Those guys did the craziest, funniest stuff ever done on public radio. There's no way I'd pay for satellite radio unfortunately so I can't listen to them anymore. They used to have a running stunt called WOW or "whip'em out Wednesday" If you put a WOW Opie and Anthony bumper sticker on your car female fans of the show would randomly flash you while driving down the road. BEST RADIO PROMOTION EVER!

Old 09-21-2014, 08:43 AM

4,165 posts, read 6,855,545 times
maybe it's a generational thing (29 here), but I've never found those kind of morning shows very entertaining. They always seem like the lowest common denominator / reality tv shows of the radio world to me. I do remember my parents listening to John Boy and Billy and I know the others mentioned in this thread as well, but my wife and I tend to listen to our own music or something like NPR in the mornings and a lot of my peers are similar when I've discussed it with them.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:42 AM

4,165 posts, read 6,855,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Scott View Post
I don't care for the morning shows either but I'd rather listen to that than dull NPR, people talking in monotone voices.
My first thought is that you actually haven't listened to NPR much.

I used to think that too when I was growing up because I heard it from people all the time jokingly. I used to make fun of it without even knowing much about it. Then one day I actually tried listening to it about 5 years ago and realized the stereotype was dead wrong and that's mostly what I listen to in the mornings now. I think the 'boring' and 'monotone voices' thing is a perpetuation of some myth or caricature of public radio from past decades or something, because over the past 5 years I have found that is not the case AT ALL. Keep in mind, I'm not referring to the local 'fillers' who speak now and then in between the actual NPR hosts.

In general I find the interviews very well done; the hosts and interviewers actually have a lot of personality, wit and humor; and they cover a wide variety of interesting and thought-provoking topics that often delve deeper into issues than other mainstream media does or cover topics that aren't being covered well by mainstream media. Additionally, there are no traditional commercials so the ratio of content:filler time is great. I can't think of a single host during their morning show that is monotonous and the topics are anything but boring; I oftentimes find myself digging deeper into interesting topics that were discussed on NPR later on in my free time and there are several items that turn into conversation topics amongst my friends and I on a regular basis.

If you haven't actually given NPR a real try in the mornings, I highly recommend it.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:59 AM

5,996 posts, read 7,065,488 times
Am I the only one that thought the thread was about Ace Hardware and TJ Maxx?

Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 PM

1,842 posts, read 2,747,235 times
Or Ace hardware and Trader Joe's.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Like John Boy and Billy, did Ace and T.J. start out as a local show that is expanding into adjacent states?
Yes Ace & TJ was a popular local show on Kiss 95.1 in Charlotte and they became nationally syndicated. A few years ago they moved to Clear Channel and Channel 96.1 became the originating station.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Although personally I prefer Bob and Sheri on 107.9 the Link, which is also nationally syndicated. I get clear reception on my home radio with rabbit ears including HD Radio, although car reception is spotty since a change in their antenna pattern about 10 years ago. It would be nice to see an Upstate station pick up their program as well.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,940,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Although personally I prefer Bob and Sheri on 107.9 the Link, which is also nationally syndicated. I get clear reception on my home radio with rabbit ears including HD Radio, although car reception is spotty since a change in their antenna pattern about 10 years ago. It would be nice to see an Upstate station pick up their program as well.
Would have thought Bob and Sheri would have been a much better fit for 102.5. Has 102.5 gotten more current with their playlist?. It used to be so 80's for a long time. Ace and TJ seem like they would be a better fit for a station like B93.7 (teens to early 30's). Both morning teams (Bob/Sheri and Ace/TJ) are fantastic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area