U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 11:05 PM

46 posts, read 60,532 times

Advertisements

I visited the Remax website to look at homes in Greenville, and in addition to Greenville it also showed me homes for sale in the surrounding area such as Easley, Travellers Rest, Pickens, Taylors, Piedmont, and Simpsonville. What are these areas like, should any of them be avoided, are any of them better than the others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 06:16 AM

693 posts, read 1,103,336 times
Easley is a bit more rural, but still nice. It has some up and coming areas. Similar with Travelers Rest, which boasts a hopping main street. Pickens is starting to get out in the country, but still close enough for a commute to Greenville. Taylors is sort of an ambiguous area. I tend to think of it as the area along Wade Hampton Blvd, but its more than that. Piedmont, depending on the area, can be a little sketchy, or really nice. I apologize in advance to all that I offend with this statement, but Simpsonville is like one big neighborhood of mushroom houses, and is kind of a cluttered mess these days.

Are any of them better than the others? Probably, but that depends largely on individual needs and desires. What suits one may not necessarily suit another. There are also a lot of other areas around Greenville that are worth consideration. What are some qualities you're looking for and that will help us help you narrow things down.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:27 AM

1,868 posts, read 1,828,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinphilly View Post
Easley is a bit more rural, but still nice. It has some up and coming areas. Similar with Travelers Rest, which boasts a hopping main street. Pickens is starting to get out in the country, but still close enough for a commute to Greenville. Taylors is sort of an ambiguous area. I tend to think of it as the area along Wade Hampton Blvd, but its more than that. Piedmont, depending on the area, can be a little sketchy, or really nice. I apologize in advance to all that I offend with this statement, but Simpsonville is like one big neighborhood of mushroom houses, and is kind of a cluttered mess these days.

Are any of them better than the others? Probably, but that depends largely on individual needs and desires. What suits one may not necessarily suit another. There are also a lot of other areas around Greenville that are worth consideration. What are some qualities you're looking for and that will help us help you narrow things down.
I agree with some of the above, but beg to differ about Simpsonville. Simpsonville has some very pretty slightly older neighborhoods, in addition to a great deal of new construction, and the new shopping that goes along with that. Downtown is very cute, and there is a nice park. If you live anywhere near 385 in Simpsonville it is easy to get to downtown Greenville. The area near Woodruff Rd. is another story .

Last edited by BigRedBeth; 09-25-2014 at 07:03 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 AM

693 posts, read 1,103,336 times
Usually when I pass through Simpsonville it's travelling along Fairview Rd, which I'm sure skews my opinion of the area. The other side of 385 is more relaxed, it seems.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:47 AM

309 posts, read 191,653 times
Easley > Traffic Hell, especially the Repentagon/WalMart/123 area. Nice/decent neighborhoods

Travelers Rest > This is where I live! I like it. Filling up fast though

Pickens > Pretty rural.

Taylors > Eh. Wade Hampton is bad for traffic. The Brushy Creek bit is not so bad.

Piedmont > There is no reason to live in Piedmont unless you work near the Donaldson Center. Or you find the deal of the century or your Dream Home.

Simpsonville > Simpsonville is a gigantic area that stretches from the Target on Fairview to the Wendy's on Woodruff Rd. The biggest white bread bedroom community of Greenville county. Too big to make a generalization.

The only areas I would strongly steer away from are the Cedar Lane / North city limits area and Berea/Welcome.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the above. I want to avoid living near run down neighborhoods and trailer parks. I made that mistake before when we lived for a while in N. Florida. Where we lived was ok, but every route to where we lived you had to pass through crummy places. It took us ages to sell the house and quite honestly it was depressing having to pass through there everyday.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:36 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,118,124 times
If you are looking at Easley and Piedmont mailing addresses, both of those cover huge geographic areas.

The Powdersville area does not have its own zipcode so houses in Powdersville can have an Easley, Piedmont, or even Greenville mailing address.

Not every address that has an Easley zipcode will be in an area that has to deal with US123 traffic. There are also some very nice homes and neighborhoods with a Piedmont mailing address.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:48 AM

3,200 posts, read 3,891,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabrookes View Post
I visited the Remax website to look at homes in Greenville, and in addition to Greenville it also showed me homes for sale in the surrounding area such as Easley, Travellers Rest, Pickens, Taylors, Piedmont, and Simpsonville. What are these areas like, should any of them be avoided, are any of them better than the others?
The only one of these places that I would l look at is TR, the other areas are either very suburban, Simpsonville or just dumpy, Easley, Pickens, etc....

In Greenville, stay close to Hwy 11 for the mountain views.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:51 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,118,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabrookes View Post
Thanks for the above. I want to avoid living near run down neighborhoods and trailer parks. I made that mistake before when we lived for a while in N. Florida. Where we lived was ok, but every route to where we lived you had to pass through crummy places. It took us ages to sell the house and quite honestly it was depressing having to pass through there everyday.
You will get more helpful feedback if you let us know what your needs are in a home. Do you have children that will be attending school; may you are retired and don't care about the schools? Do you work in a certain profession? Do you need to commute to a certain area for work (i.e. work at BMW or GE)? Are you looking for a house in a subdivision with community amenities like a pool or golf course? Are you looking for a home out in the country on a large parcel of land?

Without some specifics of what you are looking for, you are going to get a lot of replies that may not be helpful.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:44 PM

We want to live in a nice safe area. We don't have kids, it just me him and the dog and travelling for work isn't an issue as we both work from home. DH likes to cycle, I like to walk the dog, so we want to be somewhere where we can do these things. I love to shop and we both like to eat out, occasionally go to the theatre or go to a concert, and other cultural sort of stuff so we don't want to be out in the sticks, but neither do we want to live in a city. I like to garden so a home on a half acre would be good. Somewhere that has some pretty countryside on the doorstep but not too isolated. So in short a nice house in a good area somewhere between the middle of nowhere and busy cosmopolitan/cultural city life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or