Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:19 AM

104 posts, read 234,476 times

Advertisements

I've had verizon for years and still have unlimited data but I'm thinking of switching. For those of you who have ATT or Sprint , how is your service in the greenville area...and when you're traveling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 11:58 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjean View Post
I've had verizon for years and still have unlimited data but I'm thinking of switching. For those of you who have ATT or Sprint , how is your service in the greenville area...and when you're traveling?
I don't have any experience with the other two, but if you are going to dump the Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited Plan, you might consider selling it to someone else (they sell for $200 - $300 on Ebay).

Old 10-03-2014, 12:48 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,328 times
Keep in mind, levels of service can change in very short distances. I live on a block with a lot of mature trees. My AT&T service was so bad at my home, once we moved there, that I had to dump them. A mile up the road I live on, it was fine. AT&T refused to work with me, and there were things that could have been done, they just wanted me to pay exorbitant amounts to get them done. It was cheaper to cancel my contract then pay the fees I would have needed to pay. Verizon works fine here at the same location.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:36 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I don't have any experience with the other two, but if you are going to dump the Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited Plan, you might consider selling it to someone else (they sell for $200 - $300 on Ebay).
I have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan and I was told it was no longer possible to get a new phone and keep your unlimited data. So I'll lose my unlimited as soon as I get a new phone - which would make selling the plan to someone else seem pointless, unless I have been misinformed.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:48 PM

183 posts, read 303,112 times
at&t does great in this area. Sprint can't even stream Pandora (which can be done on the 10 year old 3g network) once you leave Greenville city limits. They're really bad in this area. at&t (other brands at the time) fell behind in the late 90's in the Southeast due to choosing to go digital without the proper spectrum. Over the last 3 years they have rolled out the largest network expansion project in the world. It was done across SC and NC. Project infinity if I'm not mistaken. They are in the final stages of it. at&t already beats Verizon in the immediate area. People are still going off the old experiences that are not true anymore. I have done speedtests all over the state as part of my work. I've never done one where at&t's LTE was available that they didn't beat Verizon by a huge margin. I'm talking like 10mbs down compared to 50-60mbs down on at&t. about 80 or 90% of the state is already covered. They recently took back the network in Myrtle Beach from HTC and in the Laurens area from PRTC. they are working on Farmers as well I believe. Once those 3 are taken over and the Alltel acquisition is complete they will be the best option in the Carolinas by far. they already are if you don't live in the sticks. It will take a while for people to relize Verizon is final not the only show in town but for now all you still hear is Verizon, Verizon, Verizon. However for those that do the research the facts have changed.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:10 PM

80 posts, read 114,424 times
Looking at the T-Mobile map, it looks like they have great coverage in Greenville. Can anyone confirm?

Old 10-03-2014, 03:11 PM

896 posts, read 1,138,999 times
We are very happy with our T-Mobile.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:27 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan and I was told it was no longer possible to get a new phone and keep your unlimited data. So I'll lose my unlimited as soon as I get a new phone - which would make selling the plan to someone else seem pointless, unless I have been misinformed.
You can't get another subsidized phone, but you can certainly get another phone (you'll have to buy it at full price from Verizon or somewhere else).

I just got two brand new phones, and moved them onto my unlimited lines last month with no problem.

As for selling the plan, for some people the data is more important than the cheap phone, so they are willing to pay full price for the phone. We travel a lot, and need lots of solid internet while traveling (to work) so it's far cheaper to pay $600 every few years for a phone, than to pay for the amount of data I would use on a regular plan.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:26 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,288,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
You can't get another subsidized phone, but you can certainly get another phone (you'll have to buy it at full price from Verizon or somewhere else).

I just got two brand new phones, and moved them onto my unlimited lines last month with no problem.

As for selling the plan, for some people the data is more important than the cheap phone, so they are willing to pay full price for the phone. We travel a lot, and need lots of solid internet while traveling (to work) so it's far cheaper to pay $600 every few years for a phone, than to pay for the amount of data I would use on a regular plan.
You can also find phones online for far less than the prices Verizon charges at their stores. I also travel a lot and need the unlimited data. I frequently spend time in the mountains, and AT&T service up there is still not nearly as good as Verizon (and they don't offer unlimited data). Sprint offers unlimited data but their data coverage in rural areas is pretty crummy.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,213,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissinger645 View Post
Looking at the T-Mobile map, it looks like they have great coverage in Greenville. Can anyone confirm?
Confirmed. The coverage and price is great. Verizon is a rip off in comparison.

I get unlimited everything for a great price.

People who visit me using Verizon are paying huge bills and always asking to tap into my home Wi-Fi so they don't use their precious Verizon data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area