U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:14 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,895,952 times

Advertisements

Greenville's growing fast, but most of it is the disorganized, spread out, road hungry growth. Most of the residents are still blind to the fact. They only know one way of development, mentality, and think they can control growth. The areas going to become exactly like the place they don't want it to be (Atlanta) and it's going to be their actions that's going to cause it to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 08:24 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,210,215 times
i dont see greenville looking like atl anytime soon, lol.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,891,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
tons of building down here too. but days on the market in a decent area is low. we're just looking to head back up that way (one day). we used to live in Asheville but i believe that area isnt as good as GVL as far as growth, economy, etc.

i love my current job, this would be something on the side, maybe a new home, renovating an older one and making it nice n new.
If you are building homes, I would look at York/Lancaster counties, the coastal area, Cola and then Greenville. You see a lot of references to magazine articles (you can thank EP for that....at least for the ones that are still publishing and not just a lowly regarded ranking service) but factually, Greenvile trails many areas in SC with regards to growth. York County announced more net new jobs in one day than metro Greenville will announce in a year. And, income levels are higher elsewhere in SC.

It is true that downtown is nice and, like a lot of cities, people visit to see what works and what doesn't. But, it is a very small downtown with few residents compared to the county as a whole. But, hey, they have a nice pedestrian bridge......thats sure to attract residents....I can hear it, "hey, look at that bridge, I may Have to take a 30% paycut but it sure is a nice pedestrian bridge".

Old 10-04-2014, 10:05 PM

29,672 posts, read 27,113,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat A Peach View Post
CNN Money had Greenville as No 9 fastest growing metro. Charleston was not in their top ten. Mount Pleasant is really only part growing faster than Greenville, mostly retirees,
I don't know what that ranking was based on, but it wasn't Census data. From 2010-2013, Greenville was the 106th fastest-growing metro in the country at 3.26%. For comparison purposes, Columbia was 99th (3.41%), Charleston was 13th (7.16%), and Myrtle Beach was 8th (7.49%). List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-04-2014, 10:44 PM

3,200 posts, read 3,891,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know what that ranking was based on, but it wasn't Census data. From 2010-2013, Greenville was the 106th fastest-growing metro in the country at 3.26%. For comparison purposes, Columbia was 99th (3.41%), Charleston was 13th (7.16%), and Myrtle Beach was 8th (7.49%). List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Statistics aren't for the upstate crowd, they like magazines to prove their worth. And, the best part is Columbia is still doing better than Greenville after all of these years.

As for salaries....mentioned by another poster (the one with 1,000 names) average income levels are low in Greenville.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:02 PM

4,522 posts, read 6,365,827 times
Sole purpose is to keep Greenville posters straight and let them know it isn't as good as they think. What's good for one may not be good for another though. He never posts in the Charlotte forum.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:14 AM

420 posts, read 333,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
the reason i ask is mainly due to the fact that, other than my full-time job, i would like to start building homes on the side, in the lower price ranges ppl can afford. not big mcmansions but modest, 3/2 new constructed homes in decent areas. i would also like to take old houses that need work and make it new again.

but one thing about Greenville is that i'm not sure if its getting the growth needed to do these things full-time (my plan, one day). i like Greenville a lot and have lived close to the area before.

if i were to build a typical 1700 sq ft, 3/2 bath new construction home in my town, it would sell in a week. but in Greenville? not so sure it wouldn't sit for a while, and of course then you have to resort to renting it out. and we all know that can be a pain, lol.

Then if u can sell a house where your at in one week, why not utilize your talents there? Why are you so infatuated with Greenville?

Old 10-05-2014, 06:59 AM

19,956 posts, read 18,781,279 times
It is hard to say Greenville is not experiencing large growth. The population and number of businesses continue to gradually increase. The growth might be slower than other metropolitan areas in South Carolina, but it remains active.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:56 AM

32 posts, read 28,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I used to write articles as part of my job. I was forbidden from using Wikipedia as a reference because it is largely made up of contributions from whomever wants to add to it, meaning accuracy is only as good as the person who input it.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:57 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,210,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
Then if u can sell a house where your at in one week, why not utilize your talents there? Why are you so infatuated with Greenville?

because...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or