U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-05-2014, 04:19 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,987 times
Reputation: 750

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Kill it. Put this thread out of its misery.
All you need to do is throw out a few bones and people will argue in circles.

I am waiting for whitewatervol to come in and tell us again how great Easley, Pickens and Greer are as cities.

And for kicks, since Greenville folks love magazines......seems as though Money just named Charlotte as the top big city for value and listed some great neighborhoods...not sure why anyone would think that Charlotte does not have great housing options, must be an engineering thing to not understand economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2014, 08:53 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,987 times
Reputation: 750
Wow, this keeps going. What could be written on one page, Greenville is not a high growth area, keeps going because of one person's "observations".

Is Greenville growing, sure. Let's leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2014, 09:02 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,987 times
Reputation: 750
Forget CNN, It is very simple, look up the stats and perform simple math. Is Greenville growing, yes. But faster than the Charlotte counties or the coast or even Columbia.....no. This could be written on page 1 instead of this rambling garbage about why you think Greenville is better than Charlotte. If it works for you, good. But, as someone who has lived in both places, it's not even close comparing downtown the metro or anything.....There is a reason the equivalent of the city of Greenville moves into Charlotte each year, it is a great place....tea shop or not. There is a reason that companies decided it is best in Charlotte and are uprooting 700 families from Greenville for the move to Charlotte.

Now, quit the garbage about Charlotte and stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2014, 09:15 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,987 times
Reputation: 750
No, downtown Charlotte is safe. And, a ton of people like living in the downtown districts. 4th Ward is booming with highrise apartments, a new park, BB&T Ballpark (highest attendance in all the minor leagues), and BofA stadium. 4th Ward is booking with new residential towers, expanding high tech firms (recently adding 600jobs) at the Music Factory, 1st ward just broke ground on a new park and has mid rise apartments as does 2nd ward. Southend has over 3,000 apartments under construction currently with another 5,000 in the pipeline. So, yes, people love living in and around downtown without this crime garbage you are trying to pass off. You are just wrong again.

And, the question for the forum regards high growth of Greenville.....if you want, start a Charlotte v Greenville thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2014, 06:58 AM
 
2,385 posts, read 2,139,861 times
Reputation: 1700
Between 2000 - 2009, more people moved to Greenville county than any other county in South Carolina based on census figures. If having more people move into the area than any other county in the state makes Greenville a low growth area, I guess it is a low growth area.

There isn't anything wrong with Easley, Pickens, or Greer. You make demands that people use facts and then make ridiculous statements based on your personal bias against the area. Again, if you don't like the area, that is fine, but the vast majority of your statements are based on your opinion, not facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2014, 10:52 AM
 
4,539 posts, read 6,396,604 times
Reputation: 1645
Absolutely right whitewater. He stays in here constantly preaching his opinion. Who really cares right? If where you live is so great, spend your time posting in its forum. Don't waste time spreading your distaste in ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2014, 01:48 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,987 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Between 2000 - 2009, more people moved to Greenville county than any other county in South Carolina based on census figures. If having more people move into the area than any other county in the state makes Greenville a low growth area, I guess it is a low growth area.

There isn't anything wrong with Easley, Pickens, or Greer. You make demands that people use facts and then make ridiculous statements based on your personal bias against the area. Again, if you don't like the area, that is fine, but the vast majority of your statements are based on your opinion, not facts.
Percentage growth is the standard for measuring comparative growth rates, otherwise places like NYC would have the fastest growth rates. You are just wrong to describe an area as fast growing because of actual numbers.

As for the three cities, they are not great, sure that is opinion, same as when you say how great they are. Other than that, my posts are factual.

Redcliffe, seriously, quit talking about me without talking to me, that is a cowardly act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2014, 02:11 PM
 
2,385 posts, read 2,139,861 times
Reputation: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
You are just wrong to describe an area as fast growing because of actual numbers.
I guess I should use made-up numbers instead?

Greenville County had the largest increase in population from 2000-2009 as measured by the census.

York County had the highest rate of population growth from 2000-2009 as measured by the census.

Both of those are factual statements. I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce for both counties will use the numbers that paint their respective regions in the best light. People use a number of different ways to measure growth. Your insistence on using a method only approved by you is absurd.


I would prefer to live in the countryside near Pickens with a view of Table Rock over living in Charlotte with a tiny backyard and a view of Charlotte's skyline any day of the week. We are different, aren't we?

The thing is, people are different, they have differing opinions. Stating that towns are trashy is a worthless comment that only highlights your strong, unfounded bias against this area.

Last edited by WhitewaterVol; 10-06-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2014, 04:44 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,902,987 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I guess I should use made-up numbers instead?

Greenville County had the largest increase in population from 2000-2009 as measured by the census.

York County had the highest rate of population growth from 2000-2009 as measured by the census.

Both of those are factual statements. I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce for both counties will use the numbers that paint their respective regions in the best light. People use a number of different ways to measure growth. Your insistence on using a method only approved by you is absurd.


I would prefer to live in the countryside near Pickens with a view of Table Rock over living in Charlotte with a tiny backyard and a view of Charlotte's skyline any day of the week. We are different, aren't we?

The thing is, people are different, they have differing opinions. Stating that towns are trashy is a worthless comment that only highlights your strong, unfounded bias against this area.
First, the OP asked about high growth to which the answer is no. Second, using percentage growth is the accepted way for comparative purposes, period.

I think the towns are trashy. Why, look at hwy 29, look at hwy 123 & 153. They are all terrible looking roads landscaped with blight. If you are going to tell someone how nice it is using a tiny downtown as support, you are selectively forgetting the blight where most resident will spend their time. That is not opinion unless you can tell me how great these roads are for looks.

As for Charlotte, not sure why you feel the need to trash it as the OP did not ask that question. In simple terms, more people like this lifestyle as evidenced by the equivalent of Greenville moving here each year. I like the mountains but it is also about having job opportunities greater than what Greenville can offer. Greenville just does not have the employment base for a diverse and high income economy, that is fact, not opinion. Greenville does not have the depth of entertainment options other than a pedestrian bridge and single A baseball. Greenville does not have a depth of housing options, of retail offerings or cultural activities. I like the Peace Center but there are a number of those on Tryon St alone. So, while you enjoy looking at the mountains, I like having more options. Perhaps that is why Charlotte, Charleston, Raleigh, Columbia and others are growing faster than Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2014, 06:25 PM
 
4,539 posts, read 6,396,604 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I guess I should use made-up numbers instead?

Greenville County had the largest increase in population from 2000-2009 as measured by the census.

York County had the highest rate of population growth from 2000-2009 as measured by the census.

Both of those are factual statements. I'm sure the Chamber of Commerce for both counties will use the numbers that paint their respective regions in the best light. People use a number of different ways to measure growth. Your insistence on using a method only approved by you is absurd.


I would prefer to live in the countryside near Pickens with a view of Table Rock over living in Charlotte with a tiny backyard and a view of Charlotte's skyline any day of the week. We are different, aren't we?

The thing is, people are different, they have differing opinions. Stating that towns are trashy is a worthless comment that only highlights your strong, unfounded bias against this area.
Really good post. He thinks his opinions are gospel. Wish he post in the Charlotte forum instead of wreaking havoc in this one constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top