U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
1,886 posts, read 1,846,438 times
Reputation: 1492

Advertisements

Why do these threads always have to become Greenville vs. Charlotte or_____ fill in the blank city? Greenville is experiencing growth, as evidenced by all of the new construction going on everywhere, including the thousands of apartments that will be going up downtown. No, it is not Charlotte, or Atlanta, or Raleigh, and that is why many of us moved here. We looked at Charlotte years ago and didn't like it; liked it worse when we visited our daughter there when she was in college a few years ago. She likes it very much, and I think a lot of younger people would, for the job opportunities and all that is going on downtown.
However, many people want a smaller city and slower pace, and the ability to be near the mountains without mountain weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
11,828 posts, read 26,811,452 times
Reputation: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Why do these threads always have to become Greenville vs. Charlotte or_____ fill in the blank city? Greenville is experiencing growth, as evidenced by all of the new construction going on everywhere, including the thousands of apartments that will be going up downtown. No, it is not Charlotte, or Atlanta, or Raleigh, and that is why many of us moved here. We looked at Charlotte years ago and didn't like it; liked it worse when we visited our daughter there when she was in college a few years ago. She likes it very much, and I think a lot of younger people would, for the job opportunities and all that is going on downtown.
However, many people want a smaller city and slower pace, and the ability to be near the mountains without mountain weather.
I agree! The title clearly states growth in Greenville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 01:21 PM
 
4,539 posts, read 6,397,862 times
Reputation: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Why do these threads always have to become Greenville vs. Charlotte or_____ fill in the blank city? Greenville is experiencing growth, as evidenced by all of the new construction going on everywhere, including the thousands of apartments that will be going up downtown. No, it is not Charlotte, or Atlanta, or Raleigh, and that is why many of us moved here. We looked at Charlotte years ago and didn't like it; liked it worse when we visited our daughter there when she was in college a few years ago. She likes it very much, and I think a lot of younger people would, for the job opportunities and all that is going on downtown.
However, many people want a smaller city and slower pace, and the ability to be near the mountains without mountain weather.
There is a common denominator every time Charlotte is inserted in these threads. I agree with you on your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
1,886 posts, read 1,846,438 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
There is a common denominator every time Charlotte is inserted in these threads. I agree with you on your post.
Thank you, redcliffe. Unfortunately, it won't let me rep you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 02:34 PM
 
Location: SC
2,967 posts, read 4,189,179 times
Reputation: 6834
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Forget CNN, It is very simple, look up the stats and perform simple math. Is Greenville growing, yes. But faster than the Charlotte counties or the coast or even Columbia.....no. This could be written on page 1 instead of this rambling garbage about why you think Greenville is better than Charlotte. If it works for you, good. But, as someone who has lived in both places, it's not even close comparing downtown the metro or anything.....There is a reason the equivalent of the city of Greenville moves into Charlotte each year, it is a great place....tea shop or not. There is a reason that companies decided it is best in Charlotte and are uprooting 700 families from Greenville for the move to Charlotte.

Now, quit the garbage about Charlotte and stay on topic.
Why the obsession with constantly comparing Greenville to Charlotte, where you live, on every other thread here in the Greenville forum?

Greenville is not Charlotte. They are 2 vastly different cities in 2 different states. Different sizes, different industries, different populations, totally different feels. If you move to NYC will you still be here every day bashing Greenville based on all of the ways Greenville does not compare to NYC? Of course none of these places compare - you are in a never ending quest to compare apples to oranges.

People migrate in and out of large cities due to industry. Half my street in greater Greenville is from Detroit, who cares. Does that mean Greenville is better than the Detroit area? No, it means the 2 regions share jobs in the same industry. According to your flawed argument, Greenville must be amazing compared to Detroit because so many people in the auto industry move down here each year.

If you want to have city vs city debates each day, at least pick similar cities. Try Boston vs Philadelphia, or Charleston vs Savannah. In the meantime, no one should even be trying to argue over these city vs city debates of Greenville vs Charlotte because it is pointless fighting over 2 vastly different cities that have nothing in common.

No one here cares about Charlotte anyways, we come here to discuss Greenville, and you keep turning every thread into a Greenville bashing contest while doing PR for Charlotte. I will go to the Charlotte forum if I want to see how wonderful Charlotte is discussed on every thread...The entire premis of your account here on CD is like 90% trollish on the Greenville forums, yet you don't even live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,357 posts, read 20,648,772 times
Reputation: 2776
Well, this is exciting. If I cared about being the largest and fastest growing I would have moved to Atlanta a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 06:14 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,903,804 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Why the obsession with constantly comparing Greenville to Charlotte, where you live, on every other thread here in the Greenville forum?

Greenville is not Charlotte. They are 2 vastly different cities in 2 different states. Different sizes, different industries, different populations, totally different feels. If you move to NYC will you still be here every day bashing Greenville based on all of the ways Greenville does not compare to NYC? Of course none of these places compare - you are in a never ending quest to compare apples to oranges.

People migrate in and out of large cities due to industry. Half my street in greater Greenville is from Detroit, who cares. Does that mean Greenville is better than the Detroit area? No, it means the 2 regions share jobs in the same industry. According to your flawed argument, Greenville must be amazing compared to Detroit because so many people in the auto industry move down here each year.

If you want to have city vs city debates each day, at least pick similar cities. Try Boston vs Philadelphia, or Charleston vs Savannah. In the meantime, no one should even be trying to argue over these city vs city debates of Greenville vs Charlotte because it is pointless fighting over 2 vastly different cities that have nothing in common.

No one here cares about Charlotte anyways, we come here to discuss Greenville, and you keep turning every thread into a Greenville bashing contest while doing PR for Charlotte. I will go to the Charlotte forum if I want to see how wonderful Charlotte is discussed on every thread...The entire premis of your account here on CD is like 90% trollish on the Greenville forums, yet you don't even live here.
Interesting post, wrong but interesting. Fact is that Eat aPech brought up Charlote and then whitwatervol took shots at Charlotte. I answered the OP's question and as typical, Greenville folks started creting their own stats which are wrong which then turned into thousands of apartments being built downtown.....all are wrong.

And as usual Redcliffe takes a cowardly approach talking trash about me personally.

But, you are right, Greenville and Charlotte are vastly different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 06:16 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 3,903,804 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Why do these threads always have to become Greenville vs. Charlotte or_____ fill in the blank city? Greenville is experiencing growth, as evidenced by all of the new construction going on everywhere, including the thousands of apartments that will be going up downtown. No, it is not Charlotte, or Atlanta, or Raleigh, and that is why many of us moved here. We looked at Charlotte years ago and didn't like it; liked it worse when we visited our daughter there when she was in college a few years ago. She likes it very much, and I think a lot of younger people would, for the job opportunities and all that is going on downtown.
However, many people want a smaller city and slower pace, and the ability to be near the mountains without mountain weather.
You need to read back and understand where Charlotte was started, I simply responded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,357 posts, read 20,648,772 times
Reputation: 2776
Well, there are thousands of apartments proposed and soon to be if not already under construction downtown but that's a totally different subject. According to the Greenville News, the West End alone has 850 apartments proposed or currently under construction combined. Maybe later, I will try and make a list of what's going on downtown apartment wise. It's pretty crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,357 posts, read 20,648,772 times
Reputation: 2776
I used a source to back up that number. The West End is part of downtown last time I checked.

I don't know if Atlanta is the fastest growing and don't really care if it is or not but the metro area is still growing by leaps and bounds either way you slice it. I don't recall ever mentioning numbers with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top