Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,258,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Interesting post, wrong but interesting. Fact is that Eat aPech brought up Charlote and then whitwatervol took shots at Charlotte. I answered the OP's question and as typical, Greenville folks started creting their own stats which are wrong which then turned into thousands of apartments being built downtown.....all are wrong.

And as usual Redcliffe takes a cowardly approach talking trash about me personally.

But, you are right, Greenville and Charlotte are vastly different.
I didn't take ANY shots at Charlotte. The only statement I made was I would rather live in a rural area near Pickens with a mountain view over a house in Charlotte with a city view. I then stated we were different. I took no shots against anything.

You on the other hand, had at that point already described several cities in the area as "trashy" - a worthless statement that does nothing but show your obvious bias against the upstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,586,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I didn't take ANY shots at Charlotte. The only statement I made was I would rather live in a rural area near Pickens with a mountain view over a house in Charlotte with a city view. I then stated we were different. I took no shots against anything.

You on the other hand, had at that point already described several cities in the area as "trashy" - a worthless statement that does nothing but show your obvious bias against the upstate.
Saying an area is trashy does not show bias towards anything. I am not crazy about some parts of Charlotte and I would not advocate them to a new resident. And, there are areas in Greenville that I would recommend if someone is moving there.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:39 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,586,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I used a source to back up that number. The West End is part of downtown last time I checked.

I don't know if Atlanta is the fastest growing and don't really care if it is or not but the metro area is still growing by leaps and bounds either way you slice it. I don't recall ever mentioning numbers with that.
So, how far out are you defining downtown? Augusta Road? Chanticleer?

Old 10-07-2014, 09:20 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,565,371 times
I'm baffled that someone thinks the West End isn't considered downtown.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:26 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 314,592 times
I think the West End starts two blocks from Greenville City Hall, so claiming it isn't part of downtown qualifies as a "jump the shark" moment.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:28 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,653,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
So, how far out are you defining downtown? Augusta Road? Chanticleer?
Parts of Augusta Road are downtown.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,730,211 times
Good grief. Charlotte is a great city. Atlanta is a great city. Greenville is a great city. This is a great country with thousands of great cities. Live in the city you like the most and quit cutting down the rest. Life is too short. Remember the song, "Love The One You're With"? Well, love the city you're in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3ruuml-R4

Old 10-10-2014, 09:52 AM

44 posts, read 97,167 times
IMO... Greenville is a great area! I was born and raised here so i've seen things come and go. I can remember when Verde was nothing but trees and Woodruff Road was two lanes. Greenville has most definitely grown in the past 10 to 20 years. While I do want to see more diversity in the area, I believe that just comes with time. Some things will progress while others will not. I agree with the poster who said, I wouldn't send a new comer to certain areas of Greenville. You most definitely have to learn where to go and not to go. That goes for any city. I believe Greenville is still growing and we are at the mid point of growth. I lived in Raleigh and I will say that area is more transient due to the amount of universities in the area, so you really can't factor in true growth. Ppl are always coming and going. Is it bigger yes, but I think Greenville has a lot of uniqueness to its city.

One thing I would like to see is a more diverse pool of jobs in the area. A lot of ppl say they can't get good talent due to education, but I know several ppl who have higher level degrees in the area, but are unable to gain full time employment. The talent is here its just often the jobs in certain fields are not. I'm ready to see more than just hospitals, manufacturing, call centers, banks, etc. We need some other options.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:37 AM

8 posts, read 22,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyGurl08 View Post
One thing I would like to see is a more diverse pool of jobs in the area. A lot of ppl say they can't get good talent due to education, but I know several ppl who have higher level degrees in the area, but are unable to gain full time employment. The talent is here its just often the jobs in certain fields are not. I'm ready to see more than just hospitals, manufacturing, call centers, banks, etc. We need some other options.
While this is probably very true, one of the biggest things driving me to consider relocating to greenville IS the manufacturing industry, specifically automotive. I think there will always be areas that are good at particular industries and others that arent. For example, manufacturing is basically dead in california, but there are still always going to be people who want to work in these industries.

However diversification is never a bad thing.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:10 PM

614 posts, read 525,000 times
It is true that people post to Wikipedia, and their posts may not be accurate. But when the post list MSAs and their populations and it is compiled by the US Census Bureau then you know that it is accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area