Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 08:24 AM

6 posts, read 11,129 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved to the Greenville area without visiting and relying on their research only? and how has that experience turned out for you? If you have any tips, i would love to hear them because i'm on the verge of moving my wife and I somewhere in the Greenville County area to get out of this crazy hustle and bustle of big city life.

Any comments would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:30 AM

123 posts, read 155,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddyboyz View Post
Has anyone moved to the Greenville area without visiting and relying on their research only? and how has that experience turned out for you? If you have any tips, i would love to hear them because i'm on the verge of moving my wife and I somewhere in the Greenville County area to get out of this crazy hustle and bustle of big city life.

Any comments would be great!
You should try to visit. There are some people who move here because they are dazzled by downtown but once they move here they are unhappy about the roads, schools, people, etc.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:13 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,622 times
I moved here in '98 from Brevard, NC. Had only been to g'ville a handful of times prior to that and never 'toured' the area. Been here since and love it.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:25 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,071 times
Where are you moving from? Are you retired? Imo, you definitely need to visit before moving.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:28 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
I would at least try a weekend trip to visit. I couldn't imagine moving somewhere unless I've visited. It's a nice place here but it may or may not be for you. Can you squeeze in even a 2 day trip?

Old 10-14-2014, 02:41 PM

226 posts, read 368,987 times
My husband and I moved to Greenville earlier this year without having time to visit. He received a job offer and we had one weekend to find an apartment and get the ball rolling.
We are from Aiken (2.5 hours south) though, so it doesn't 'feel' different like it probably would to someone from up north or out west. Same type of pace of life, same types of stores (gotta love Publix! I am missing Kroger though!) and all of that. We are a younger couple (late 20s) with no children, so schools and playgrounds don't matter much to us. Kids won't be in the picture for a while for us. I visited Greenville once for a work conference and thought it was nice, but when we came for the conference that was a few years back and I had no idea that we would end up here!

So far, we like it a lot though. I can see how nerve wracking it would be though to move from another region of the country down here though! I guess it all just depends on what you are looking for in a place to live.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-14-2014, 03:14 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
I would never move anywhere with long term intentions without really checking the place out.

When I decided to move to the Greenville area I really had to check it out for myself. There is no way I would have done it sight unseen. I know some people do, but if you have the opportunity, do check it out for your self. Took me quite a while looking around to finally settle on Greer or Taylors with Greer being the place I would settle. Had I not researched and visited, I would have made a big mistake.

Depending on where you are moving from, and what you expect, you may be pleasantly surprised, or greatly disappointed. It's not for everyone, especially those from a big city, with a fast paced state of mind, among others.

I wanted to move to the mountains for over 30years. Took me some time, but this definitely has more of a feeling of home than Miami did the entire time I lived there, which was my entire life til I moved here.

Don't make a mistake, make a wise decision. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:21 PM

672 posts, read 1,418,046 times
I moved here from Illinois without ever visiting, due to a great job transfer opportunity within my company. We only had a few weeks' notice. We did a ton of research beforehand, and we were pretty open to a big change. I actually moved down a few months before my wife and started my new job less than 12 hours later. I stayed in an apartment while I searched for a house and learned more about the area. It was a great move for us, but can understand why others advise caution. Having employment arranged is important, though!

Old 10-15-2014, 04:14 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
We bought land after one brief visit to the area. It had what we wanted- moderate climate, and affordable acreage within commuting distance of a city. We were just driving through the area on our way from FL to VA. We came back 6 months later and searched high and low for land within 20 miles of Greenville. We wound up buying 7 acres about 5 miles north of Travelers Rest, and have been building our house for the last two years. We LOVE the area and couldn't be happier.

That being said, our needs are simple, and we've always been contented wherever we have lived. Some folks see the glass as half full, some see it as half empty; we just feel blessed to have a glass and some water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area