U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against a 1 cent increase in sales tax to repair Greenville County roads?
Yes, I am FOR the tax increase 39 50.65%
No, I am AGAINST the tax increase 38 49.35%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:08 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,737,840 times

Advertisements

It seems to be some of the same people that brag about our low taxes here in SC that turn around and say that we are taxed to death already.

SC has some of the lowest taxes in the nation.

Not-so-coincidentally, we have some of the worst schools and roads in the country. These things aren't free.

Roads don't magically appear from the road fairy. Bridges don't fix themselves.

As a nation we have the lowest tax rates since before the Great Depression.

Our Governor says we have the money to fix the roads and bridges, but she's not going to tell us where that money is until after the election. Is she hiding it under her mattress? Is she raiding all the rainbows for their pots of gold?

It's simple math to figure out we don't have the money to fix the roads. And since the state won't fix them, we have to.

I imagine some of the same people that are against fixing the roads were against fixing up downtown. It's the same mentality.

Fortunately our grandparents and great grandparents had enough foresight, knowledge and patriotism to invest in this country so that we would have a nice place. We need to do the same for our kids and their kids.

If you want to see how just lowering taxes, and praying some invisible hand of the economic fairy will rain jobs and fortune down upon us, just look at how that's turning out in Kansas:Sam Brownback

Is it raining jobs in Kansas now? Are people happier in Kansas now that their taxes are lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 03:27 PM

10,356 posts, read 20,648,772 times
Santa Claus is going to bring money and fix our roads I tell you.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:45 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,578,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
What Americans For Prosperity (the Koch Brothers) gains is an ignorant electorate which will help them advance their libertarian goals, which in the end means even more wealth (for them). Their flyers spread false information, that you have then spread yourself. I've received at least two flyers from them, both lying and/or misleading.

Very little of what Americans for Prosperity says has historically been accurate. Check out their politifact file:
I suppose your short term memory loss of how the Obama campaign (and all of his PAC's) lured ignorant voters by the masses to vote for him, making many backers very rich...but I won't go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

Is it raining jobs in Kansas now? Are people happier in Kansas now that their taxes are lower?
Well the Royals did lose the World Series, soooo....

Old 10-30-2014, 08:47 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,578,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Santa Claus is going to bring money and fix our roads I tell you.
I thought Obama didn't like visiting SC.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 AM

50 posts, read 46,302 times
I guess I have not lived here that long yet (just over a week) but I visited 3 other times before moving. I have to say, unless these awful roads are hidden somewhere, they do not seem so bad to me yet. I am from the south suburbs of Chicago and we always have awful roads and huge pot holes. There is 24/7 construction that never ends. I was in Cook County which has very high taxes. Maybe I am missing all of these awful roads so far. If that is the case, I am pretty lucky and will keep driving on the roads I have been using.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:04 AM

10,356 posts, read 20,648,772 times
Great Q and A on this issue: Q&Amy: Rounding up your road tax questions

Old 11-02-2014, 01:14 PM

421 posts, read 338,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packcov92 View Post
I guess I have not lived here that long yet (just over a week) but I visited 3 other times before moving. I have to say, unless these awful roads are hidden somewhere, they do not seem so bad to me yet. I am from the south suburbs of Chicago and we always have awful roads and huge pot holes. There is 24/7 construction that never ends. I was in Cook County which has very high taxes. Maybe I am missing all of these awful roads so far. If that is the case, I am pretty lucky and will keep driving on the roads I have been using.

I share the same sentiment that you do in regards to the roads. I understand that some are bad and there are probably quite a bit of repairs to do somewhere in the state, but where I'm driving I'm just not seeing that bad of roads. In Chicagoland it was always a constant fight against massive potholes that I just haven't seen here. But if a 1% sales tax is all it will supposedly take to fix the roads, I say go for it.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:05 AM

1,611 posts, read 2,028,851 times
It's the day before the election, have they fixed the proposed law to not tax groceries yet?

Old 11-03-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
It's the day before the election, have they fixed the proposed law to not tax groceries yet?
It was never a possibility to change the referendum before the election. Everyone has agreed to try and change the law after the election, if possible.

People have already been voting.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:53 AM

The Greenville News editorial board says vote "yes" tomorrow.

Greenville County voters have many compelling reasons to vote "Yes" Tuesday on the Transportation Projects Funding Referendum Ordinance. The state does not have a plan to fix our roads. Those roads and bridges will continue to deteriorate if they are not fixed. Traffic congestion in the busiest parts of the county will only get worse. Greenville will put at risk its economic interests because quite frankly good infrastructure is important to economic development.

Editorial: Vote 'Yes' on the roads tax referendum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or