U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against a 1 cent increase in sales tax to repair Greenville County roads?
Yes, I am FOR the tax increase 39 50.65%
No, I am AGAINST the tax increase 38 49.35%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,578,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
It's the day before the election, have they fixed the proposed law to not tax groceries yet?
From the Greenville News:

Quote:
County leaders said they'll push for a change in state law to allow groceries to be exempt. State legislators, including House majority leader Bruce Bannister, have expressed a willingness to do so.

Rep. Brian White, the Anderson Republican who chairs the House Ways and Means Committee, which has jurisdiction over tax law, said he thinks lawmakers would support the change.

"I don't think they'd want to tax the people on something that was not intended," White said.
That's all political speak, as in "don't hold your breath".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 AM

584 posts, read 509,676 times
Looks like I'm a definite no vote. They've played this card before and promised all money from a sales tax increase would be spent on education. It went directly into the general fund and the schools were left high and dry. Fool me once....

Old 11-03-2014, 09:09 PM

137 posts, read 223,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Great Q and A on this issue: Q&Amy: Rounding up your road tax questions
Thanks for sharing this link. I was surprised by this quote: "According to the committee's report, the state Department of Transportation estimates that 68.5 percent of the road surfaces in Greenville County are rated as poor to very poor condition." I just find that number hard to believe, but maybe I'm just lucky enough to drive on the right roads. Roads here are a lot better than they were in Indiana where I used to live.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:30 AM

684 posts, read 988,367 times
Gasoline will be under $3 for a few years, hopefully pass something to fix them before gas goes back up

Old 11-04-2014, 05:34 AM

Basically this vote boils down to who you can trust with over a half billion dollars.

If you can trust the city council to spend that money as promised only on roads and to overturn the tax on groceries, then vote YES.

If you can't trust the city council to follow through with their promises to repair the roads and don't want your taxes raised, then vote NO.

After reading all of the good discussions here, weighing the pros and cons, I decided to go with my instincts and will be voting NO. I hate that it came down to trust, because I would like to see our roads improved.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:28 AM

209 posts, read 301,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Basically this vote boils down to who you can trust with over a half billion dollars.

If you can trust the city council to spend that money as promised only on roads and to overturn the tax on groceries, then vote YES.

If you can't trust the city council to follow through with their promises to repair the roads and don't want your taxes raised, then vote NO.

After reading all of the good discussions here, weighing the pros and cons, I decided to go with my instincts and will be voting NO. I hate that it came down to trust, because I would like to see our roads improved.
I'm assuming you meant county council, not city council

Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant08 View Post
I'm assuming you meant county council, not city council
Yes, thank you.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:58 AM

6,269 posts, read 18,898,943 times
Quote:

I agree with you and will vote NO. If they can't write a law correctly the first time around why should we trust them to revise it after the fact. It's time for the State to step up and fix its infrastructure NOW. Nikki Haley hasn't given us any clue how she will make that happen so I'm not voting for her either. If our infrastructure fails, we will lose potential new business and could stand to lose already existing business in this state. Don't let it happen!

Quote:
Yes, thank you.
I noticed that too!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 AM

635 posts, read 761,812 times
Quote:

It seems interesting that everyone keeps bringing up the trust issue, but for the most part county council members run unopposed. 5 members up on the ballot this year and only one district has two candidates on the ballot. The county budget this year is 226 million, shouldn't we also be concerned about how that money is spent? If the county council can't be trusted then shouldn't we be even more concerned about voting these guys out? Why didn't AFP putting some funding behind getting some people in there that can be trusted?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:44 PM

2,565 posts, read 3,097,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
Gasoline will be under $3 for a few years, hopefully pass something to fix them before gas goes back up
Lets hope. Is it me or do gas prices always dip around election time? Would not be surprised to see them back up by Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or