U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against a 1 cent increase in sales tax to repair Greenville County roads?
Yes, I am FOR the tax increase 39 50.65%
No, I am AGAINST the tax increase 38 49.35%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 AM

635 posts, read 760,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I voted for the sales tax and I'm sad that it didn't pass, but this unacceptable on the part of the county government:

I agree. They really messed this thing up. I guess I'll just keep getting my money's worth out of the lifetime alignments I have on both of my vehicles at Firestone.

Hopefully Hailey has a solid plan to fix the roads. I hate it when pols hold back on things until after the election. The optimist me says that is because she wants to raise the gas tax and was afraid of losing yesterday. But the cynic in me says its just going to be a day late and dollar short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,910,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Maybe that plan will be a trade. Gradually raising gas taxes and decreasing or eliminating the state income tax. Just thank goodness NO NEW TAXES after yesterdays vote.
Although gas prices are on the decline, the price at the pump has been high for years. Increasing the gas tax at the pump is an idea quickly shot down across the state.

Quote:
This is why the proposed tax was only temporary.
I do not know how temporary this proposed tax would have been. With the economy in some negative conditions, not many constituents want the burden of an additional tax.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:10 AM

2,384 posts, read 2,135,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Although gas prices are on the decline, the price at the pump has been high for years. Increasing the gas tax at the pump is an idea quickly shot down across the state.
The gas tax in SC has been constant for over 25 years now. The price of paving and building roads has certainly not been constant over that time. If we don't raise the gas tax to cover the increased cost of building and maintaining roads, where is that money supposed to come from?

I would agree that we are overtaxed in general. The thing is, unless someone identifies and eliminates specific waste, talking about waste and inefficiency in government will do nothing to fix our crumbling roads.

I think these individual county by county sales taxes were a dangerous idea because it shifted the burden of maintaining state roads from the state government, where it belongs. I would be shocked if her highness Haley actually has a plan for our roads and infrastructure that will improve the situation in any measurable sense.

A 5 cent increase in the gas tax marked at repaving roads and fixing bridges would go a long way towards improving the situation while still giving SC one of the lowest gas taxes in the nation.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:16 AM

703 posts, read 795,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post

A 5 cent increase in the gas tax marked at repaving roads and fixing bridges would go a long way towards improving the situation while still giving SC one of the lowest gas taxes in the nation.
Now, THIS is something I would support, and makes perfect sense, IMO.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:02 AM

1,611 posts, read 2,026,983 times
The problem with raising the gas tax, I see, is that South Carolina already gets a huge windfall of out-of-state people buying gas in SC because it's so cheap here.

The Greenville News today said
Quote:
Thirty-three percent of gas tax collections come from out-of-state residents, which makes raising the tax "easier to swallow," Turner said.
33% is enormous. That may make it "easier to swallow" but it also might make gas tax increases less effective if people stop coming to SC just to buy gas.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:08 AM

703 posts, read 795,386 times
Sure would like to see the study or source of the supposed 33% figure. Even with added tax the gas would probably still be cheaper than surrounding states.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:24 AM

2,384 posts, read 2,135,304 times
Quote:
The problem with raising the gas tax, I see, is that South Carolina already gets a huge windfall of out-of-state people buying gas in SC because it's so cheap here.

The Greenville News today said

33% is enormous. That may make it "easier to swallow" but it also might make gas tax increases less effective if people stop coming to SC just to buy gas.

The tax in GA is currently 45.9 cents on gas and 55.3 cents on diesel. North Carolina is currently 56.2 cents on gas and 62.2 cents on diesel. North Carolina changes every 6 months because their gas tax is tied to the average wholesale price of fuel. It goes up and down automatically as the price of fuel fluctuates.

South Carolina is currently 35.2 cents on gas and 41.2 cents on diesel. A 5 cent increase in both would still leave us 5 cents cheaper on gas and 9 cents cheaper on diesel than Georgia. The same increase would leave us 16 cents cheaper on gas and 12 cents cheaper on diesel than NC. That is still enough to keep a lot of drivers that live near the border to buy gas in SC when they can. Long haul truckers driving up I-85 and I-95 will still be filling their tanks in SC. It might reduce the effect slightly but with our neighbors being so much higher, it should be pretty negligible.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:30 AM

45 posts, read 43,659 times
Democrats get stomped on tax hike proposal, then immediately call for a tax hike. Yeah roads knocking cars out of alignment. Obvious lie.

Will pay more in tax over time than cost of alignment anyway.

Last edited by Stay At Home Mother; 11-05-2014 at 10:12 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 12:14 PM

635 posts, read 760,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay At Home Mother View Post
Democrats get stomped on tax hike proposal, then immediately call for a tax hike. Yeah roads knocking cars out of alignment. Obvious lie.

Will pay more in tax over time than cost of alignment anyway.
Wow you know how someone leans just by how they vote on one measure. You should set up shop as a psychic.

I know people that voted yes for the sales tax and also voted R (myself included) and others that voted No and voted D. Most of people I know that voted yes are transplants that have lived in other states and know what better quality infrastructure is and that it helps spur economic growth.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:33 PM

215 posts, read 236,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Most of people I know that voted yes are transplants that have lived in other states and know what better quality infrastructure is and that it helps spur economic growth.
Great, so they move to SC for some reason - presumably because of our cost of living and/or economic environment are better than where they came from, but as soon as they get here they start voting for the same policies/types of people that made their former residence crappy?

If you think a place is attractive enough to move here, why try to ruin it once you arrive? The fact is, SC's roads really are not that much worse than other states, but our taxes are lower. Force the government to use the money they are already getting. Force them to be more efficient. Do not reward poor government performance by giving them more of our tax money.

Before I would even consider voting yes on any tax bill, I want to see more transparency in where our money is going now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or