U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against a 1 cent increase in sales tax to repair Greenville County roads?
Yes, I am FOR the tax increase 39 50.65%
No, I am AGAINST the tax increase 38 49.35%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:26 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,734,719 times

Advertisements

Could we please not feed the troll and derail a good discussion (and save the mod some time).

It just says $hit to get people to respond, asks questions that have been answered, you know, trolling...

It's like talking to an 8 year old who keeps saying " I know you are, but what am I." Kind of pointless to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 10:40 AM

45 posts, read 43,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Busier roads contribute to more income, they get more use and therefore more funding regardless of the penny tax.

Your proposal for a "huge tax" to fund scarcely used roads would fail even worse in a referendum.
The rich get rricher and the poor get poorer.

If you were to plot on map where the bad roads are, people in those areas never complain about them. But in affluent areas with the best roads/ a vocal minority complain they are horrible.

I find this fascinating from sociology standpoint.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:44 AM

45 posts, read 43,662 times
So anybody who disagrees with Art is a troll? I make good points in civil way, you are not civil. Calling people troLl is name calling,

You want to preach to the choir not discuss and debate.

If minority view on this forum is trolling, your vote on Tuesday was also trolling because it is the minority view in Greenville.

I believe in tolerance for minority views. That is the point of free speech,

Art you mischaracterize people, Why? It is clear I don't debate the way you said I do.

You are intolerant. Why can't we be friends?

You are the one who is child like, I don't get mad if people disagree with me,, my opinions are non binding

I am an opinion survivor.

Last edited by Stay At Home Mother; 11-07-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 04:54 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,113,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Like the 20% sales tax increase voted as the result of a 'no tax increase' vote back in 2005, many people may yet regret the result of a 'no vote'.
Where do we go now with roads?

Quote:
Greenville County engineering staff estimates that county roads are currently on a 51-year resurfacing cycle. With over 40-years experience in road construction and maintenance, I can guarantee that asphalt will not last 51 years.
Greenville County Council, at some future time, will also have to address the need for additional funding for county road maintenance and resurfacing. Which also will be a “permanent” tax increase.

Congratulations to the voters in Greenville County. You successfully voted down a 1-cent sales tax with a “sunset” clause that ended the tax in eight years and made it mandatory for implementation of several other permanent taxes.
Unfortunately, he probably hit the nail on the head.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:04 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,572,696 times
Woodruff Road fixes could be on the way according to the Greenville Journal.

Quote:
Three smaller fixes identified by the Woodruff Road committee could be completed by October 2015 if money is allocated, said Clint Link, assistant city engineer.

One is a two-lane connector from Market Point to Carolina Point Parkway that would allow motorists access to REI and Whole Foods without having to get on Woodruff Road. That road is expected to cost $300,000.

Link said the committee recommends the city secure agreements with property owners to connect shopping center parking lots at five locations so shoppers don’t have to get on Woodruff Road to go from one to another.

And finally, the city is working with the Magnolia Park developer to add a second left-turn lane off Woodruff into Cabela’s, Link said. That should be completed by October, he said.

The committee also recommends that a connector road be completed by October 2016 to allow motorists to access Costco from the Roper Mountain and Congaree intersection.

In addition, a sidewalk should be built to connect the Shops at Greenridge to Magnolia Park, Link said. That project could be completed by October 2016, he said.
Good to see that the city is working to find a way to make improvements with existing funds. I'm also happy to see the city working with developers to make Woodruff Road better.

Local News: Woodruff Road fixes could be on the way - Greenville Journal

Old 12-11-2014, 09:22 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
Default Market Point Drive

Market Point Drive will be extended to Carolina Point Parkway. I do not think it will be through a two-lane connecting road. Market Point Drive is presently four lanes, and plans call for it to be extended into a T-intersection with a traffic signal.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:47 AM

928 posts, read 1,290,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Woodruff Road fixes could be on the way according to the Greenville Journal.

Good to see that the city is working to find a way to make improvements with existing funds. I'm also happy to see the city working with developers to make Woodruff Road better.

Local News: Woodruff Road fixes could be on the way - Greenville Journal
These are good ideas and many have been mentioned on here. I suggested a Costco entrance from the Roper Mountain/Congaree light and some posters acted like I was crazy. Presumably the Days Inn will eventually be torn down and rebuilt or redeveloped as something else.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:34 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,113,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I'm not sure how we fix roads without, you know, spending money on the roads. What is the alternative to paying for road improvements?

Am I supposed to rally the people on my block to pitch in and hire some people to fix our road? Do we need to go buy trucks, asphalt and some shovels? Then have every other block and business do the same? Aren't having decent roads just one of the easy, basic and legitimate functions of government?

Yep. I'm going to take one of these courses and learn how to patch a few of these myself, just like these guys -
Hamtramck 'Guerrilla Road Repair' goes DIY on potholes .

I can't wait until I take the graduate level course 'How to upgrade a major Interstate exchange to modern standards' and learn how to pour 150 foot reinforced concrete bridge support columns.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:38 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,572,696 times
It's been over an year since the first increase of the gas tax began (SC Act 40). Records show that SC collected $313 Million from the gas tax July 1, 2017, through June 30, 2018 (4 cents a gallon now).

So y'all enjoying the nice smooth roads?

I will take that as a NO! Since only 2.2% (about $7 million) of that revenue has been spent on "external projects".

Only 20 of 46 SC counties got any of that money. And if you live in Spartanburg, well enjoy those potholes a bit longer, because you got ZERO dollars!

Greenville County, the largest county, got a whopping $1,509,966 out of the $313M.

Eventually SC will have $600M annually to pull into their coffers when the sales tax increase peaks.
  • Increase the motor fuel user fee by 12 cents over the next six years (2 cents per year).
  • Increase biennial registration fees on private passenger vehicles by $16.
  • Impose an “Infrastructure Maintenance Fee” upon the purchase of a motor vehicle (capped at $500).
  • Impose a one-time $250 registration fee for anyone who transfers a motor vehicle from another state to South Carolina.
  • Create new registration fees for alternative vehicles: $120 for EV’s & $60 for hybrid vehicles.
  • Roll the truck property tax into the IRP for out-of-state IRP-registered fleets.
Their promise was this: "Act 40 of 2017 will provide roughly $600 million in recurring funds, once fully implemented, to be used solely on the improvements of South Carolina’s roads and bridges."

Where they end up using our tax dollars will be any ones guess.

Last edited by USNRET04; 09-27-2018 at 10:47 AM..

Old 09-27-2018, 01:29 PM

583 posts, read 508,625 times
I wouldn't want to say I told you so".....but... don't be holding your breath. Same crooked game that it's been for many decades, but now with all that fresh newcomer money and no real oversight. You've just been screwed again ... without even a kiss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or