U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against a 1 cent increase in sales tax to repair Greenville County roads?
Yes, I am FOR the tax increase 39 50.65%
No, I am AGAINST the tax increase 38 49.35%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 02:16 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,103,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
It's been over an year since the first increase of the gas tax began (SC Act 40). Records show that SC collected $313 Million from the gas tax July 1, 2017, through June 30, 2018 (4 cents a gallon now).

So y'all enjoying the nice smooth roads?
They're taking the fiscally responsible step of holding it all to refund the South Carolinians who have been saving their gas receipts in anticipation of next tax filing seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 03:57 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,256,285 times
Quote:
It's been over an year since the first increase of the gas tax began (SC Act 40). Records show that SC collected $313 Million from the gas tax July 1, 2017, through June 30, 2018 (4 cents a gallon now).

I will take that as a NO! Since only 2.2% (about $7 million) of that revenue has been spent on "external projects".

Only 20 of 46 SC counties got any of that money. And if you live in Spartanburg, well enjoy those potholes a bit longer, because you got ZERO dollars!

Greenville County, the largest county, got a whopping $1,509,966 out of the $313M.

Eventually SC will have $600M annually to pull into their coffers when the sales tax increase peaks.
  • Increase the motor fuel user fee by 12 cents over the next six years (2 cents per year).
  • Increase biennial registration fees on private passenger vehicles by $16.
  • Impose an “Infrastructure Maintenance Fee” upon the purchase of a motor vehicle (capped at $500).
  • Impose a one-time $250 registration fee for anyone who transfers a motor vehicle from another state to South Carolina.
  • Create new registration fees for alternative vehicles: $120 for EV’s & $60 for hybrid vehicles.
  • Roll the truck property tax into the IRP for out-of-state IRP-registered fleets.
Their promise was this: "Act 40 of 2017 will provide roughly $600 million in recurring funds, once fully implemented, to be used solely on the improvements of South Carolina’s roads and bridges."

Where they end up using our tax dollars will be any ones guess.
Are you referring to the money that is sent directly to the counties? But you can easily DOT has spending the money properly throughout the state as many projects are taking off and being done that otherwise would’ve never been done with former funding. I can very much say I’m enjoying the smoother roads and bridges and new infrastructure very much.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:35 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,840,909 times
Actually, it’s not a Greenville road system tax. It’s a tax imposed by the State of S.C. We are finally getting to the point of the funds being released to the counties. I would like for all of our roads to be fixed now, but it’s going to be a process. We need to be patient. By the way, roads are bad throughout the nation, not just in our state.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:33 PM

924 posts, read 1,284,312 times
I mean at the top of my head Stone Avenue, East North Street and Wade Hampton have all been redone or worked on this year. Maybe you should look around a little bit better.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:24 AM

314 posts, read 190,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
I mean at the top of my head Stone Avenue, East North Street and Wade Hampton have all been redone or worked on this year. Maybe you should look around a little bit better.
Augusta Street too. But major thoroughfares like all of those should be a priority with or without extra funding.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:25 AM

5,773 posts, read 6,543,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
As I said in the post, Greenville did get a over $1.5M. So it went somewhere and congratulations to you!!

For the rest of us, we are not having the great experience you did. On my 42 mile daily commute (R/T), not one road has been repaved. Although a few holes were filled. Nor were the roads I take to go shopping or dining. So basically no road that I use and I drive at least 20K miles a year in this area.

So yes, I will keep looking.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:30 AM

5,773 posts, read 6,543,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown27 View Post
Augusta Street too. But major thoroughfares like all of those should be a priority with or without extra funding.
I'm not expecting miracles and understand how slow our government works. I also understand that there are priorities that may be more important than what I think should be a priority.

But I take some roads that are heavily used by gas tax paying commuters and should have been repaved years ago.

The gas tax has been in place over a year. They have already doubled it.

What SCDOT could do, is have a web page of roads that they are planning to repair with estimated dates. That would ease some concerns and criticisms.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:58 AM

924 posts, read 1,284,312 times
Quote:
I'm not expecting miracles and understand how slow our government works. I also understand that there are priorities that may be more important than what I think should be a priority.

But I take some roads that are heavily used by gas tax paying commuters and should have been repaved years ago.

The gas tax has been in place over a year. They have already doubled it.

What SCDOT could do, is have a web page of roads that they are planning to repair with estimated dates. That would ease some concerns and criticisms.
That is a good idea. They should show a priority list that they are working off of. Iím from Columbia and this what they did when they passed their sales tax for the roads. They are actually getting a lot done there.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:08 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,116,453 times
This doesn't include repaving work but does include projects like road widening, bridge replacements, and intersection improvements:

https://www.scdot.org/projects/ten-year-plan.aspx

Old 09-28-2018, 09:04 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,717,518 times
Quote:

I will take that as a NO! Since only 2.2% (about $7 million) of that revenue has been spent on "external projects".

Only 20 of 46 SC counties got any of that money. And if you live in Spartanburg, well enjoy those potholes a bit longer, because you got ZERO dollars!
This is misleading. While "external projects" spending hasn't increased much, the SCDOT spending has dramatically increased... everywhere.

The SCDOT budget expenditures for 2018/2019 is $655MILLION more than it was for 2016/2017. How so? More revenue from the gasoline tax.

https://www.scdot.org/performance/pd...-17_Budget.pdf

https://www.scdot.org/performance/pd...-19-Budget.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or