Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against a 1 cent increase in sales tax to repair Greenville County roads?
Yes, I am FOR the tax increase 39 50.65%
No, I am AGAINST the tax increase 38 49.35%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:46 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Good points. That should be our next move as citizens of Greenville County.

Meanwhile we need to put pressure on the State Legislature to put forth a strong plan to fix our roads. Call, email, visit - whatever it takes.

If the vote on this thread is any indication, the bill may just pass by the narrowest of margins. If so, I hope that the Council does follow through and do what they say for the sake of our county.

Off to the polls....
It wasn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:29 PM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times
Anderson County approved a sales tax increase as well as the issuance of significant bonds. All in the name of education and the children. We'll see how that goes.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:15 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I was the 150th person at my polling place this afternoon. Seems like turnout is low. Anybody anywhere get a higher number than I (in Greenville County, please)?
Turnout was high at my polling station, right up until the polls closed. Made me proud that people are exercising their right to vote in a mid term election.

Even though the referendum lost 2-1, we need to come together and force Columbia to follow through with the plan that Gov. Haley will propose in January to repair our road infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
It wasn't
It wasn't scientific.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:35 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Turnout was high at my polling station, right up until the polls closed. Made me proud that people are exercising their right to vote in a mid term election.

Even though the referendum lost 2-1, we need to come together and force Columbia to follow through with the plan that Gov. Haley will propose in January to repair our road infrastructure.

It wasn't scientific.

Maybe that plan will be a trade. Gradually raising gas taxes and decreasing or eliminating the state income tax. Just thank goodness NO NEW TAXES after yesterdays vote.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:49 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Quote:
It wasn't scientific.
Probably the fact that it is a real-estate oriented forum changed the composition of the participants.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:55 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Some road projects that were conceived by Greenville County do not reflect the long-term needs of those roads.
This is why the proposed tax was only temporary.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:49 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
I voted for the sales tax and I'm sad that it didn't pass, but this unacceptable on the part of the county government:

Quote:
County officials said they didn't realize when they approved the referendum earlier this year that unprepared foods bought at grocery stores would be taxed under the particular sales tax they picked out of various options in state law.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 AM

690 posts, read 1,145,792 times
^ such county government fail.

I'm glad it failed. I voted No. Hey big gov - budget and spend wisely the money you already have!

Old 11-05-2014, 07:04 AM

896 posts, read 1,139,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post

I'm glad it failed. I voted No. Hey big gov - budget and spend wisely the money you already have!
My thoughts exactly! Btw, we worked the polls yesterday, and it was busy the whole time. The precinct we worked had at 52% voter turn out.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valien View Post

Isn't this the opposite of big government? Local government, and local citizens, deciding on a local tax to fix local problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area