Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for or against a 1 cent increase in sales tax to repair Greenville County roads?
Yes, I am FOR the tax increase 39 50.65%
No, I am AGAINST the tax increase 38 49.35%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 08:48 AM

45 posts, read 50,737 times

Advertisements

2 out of 3 like 3rd world roads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 08:53 AM

65 posts, read 116,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Here's the Greenville County budget. I have attached an image of the budget table from page 37.

The sales tax and associated road improvements were $673M over 8 years, or $84M/year, or 37% of the county budget. I don't see anywhere we could cut our way to that amount of money.
Please don't post facts here. People don't want facts. They think the millions of dollars needed each year to construct new roads and fix the current roads can magically appear by cutting 37% of the county budget.

And why do people keep bringing up potholes? I thought most of the sales tax money was going to be for projects such as adding a feeder road to Woodruff road and widening some of our many 2 lane roads to 3 lanes? Many of our roads perform poorly because they aren't wide enough for the amount of traffic they carry.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:55 AM

607 posts, read 1,402,601 times
I think that Art123 brings up a valid point about investigating how the county is spending and has spent money.

gvsteve validates this by investigating the budget and looking at numbers and reports.

Maybe we should start another thread about WHAT we are finding as far as spending in Greenville county goes. If enough of us can do this without any spin, it could be very enlightening.

I voted against the tax for many of the reasons that have already been discussed in this thread.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:59 AM

Roads are called dangerous and causing need for multiple alignments, so fair to ask where these roads are.

Also, many don't go to Woodruff much or think traffic is that bad. Don't assume people care about things you do.

That connector road is unlikely to help much. Spend millions to save people 20 seconds?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay At Home Mother View Post
Roads are called dangerous and causing need for multiple alignments, so fair to ask where these roads are.

Also, many don't go to Woodruff much or think traffic is that bad. Don't assume people care about things you do.
N Hwy 101 in Greer is 2 lanes. There have been many accidents, some with fatalities. It needs to be widened to 3 lanes for quite a few miles.

Gap Creek Rd in Greer has potholes, no shoulder, and parts of the road are falling apart along the white line. It's a very dangerous road because of the amount of people that go over the speed limit. It needs to be repaired and/or widened.

Hwy 290 in Greer/Taylors needs to be widened to at least 3 lanes.

Woodruff Rd needs a feeder road. The traffic may not be as bad as locations such as Atlanta, but if you drive in certain sections, it can take far too long to drive a short distance. Just because a vocal minority on this forum doesn't go to Woodruff Road doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be fixed.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:07 AM

OK well you are actually minority on the issue in Greenville. Your position lost badly in the election, yet you act like most everybody agrees with you.

I support huge tax for rural roads in SC. Not for shopping areas in afffluent areas. I find it easy to avoid busy part of woodruff. Most those businesses aren't places people need to go to much.

Right now Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, MB, and Hilton Head get most of the road money. Roads in rural poorbareas not been paved in decades

Last edited by Stay At Home Mother; 11-07-2014 at 09:16 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
OK well you are actually minority on the issue in Greenville. Your position lost badly in the election, yet you act like most everybody agrees with you.

I support huge tax for rural roads in SC. Not for shopping areas in afffluent areas. I find it easy to avoid busy part of woodruff. Most those businesses aren't places people need to go to much.
The fact that vote failed doesn't make my position a minority position. It just means that those who want the Greenville county residents and government to take responsibility for paying for infrastructure because the state government refuses to do so, are in the minority.

What makes your rural roads more important than the roads in the more dense areas of the county?

Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,209 times
Quote:

Right now Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, MB, and Hilton Head get most of the road money. Roads in rural poorbareas not been paved in decades
Populated areas have more people using the roads, and therefore they get more money. This is sensible. Where do you think the tax money comes from to pay for all that? It doesn't come from the rural areas.

People don't need to go to Woodruff Road, but they need rural roads much more? That doesn't make any sense.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Populated areas have more people using the roads, and therefore they get more money. This is sensible. Where do you think the tax money comes from to pay for all that? It doesn't come from the rural areas.

People don't need to go to Woodruff Road, but they need rural roads much more? That doesn't make any sense.
Most don't agree with you on roads or a penny tax would pass. The tax itself was nothing.
Everybody deserves good roads.

You can donate money to the government for roads. Does not have to be all or nothing,

I support tolls on that part of Woodruff. Get money from the users.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:19 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,209 times
Quote:
Most don't agree with you on roads or a penny tax would pass. The tax itself was nothing.
Everybody deserves good roads.
Busier roads contribute to more income, they get more use and therefore more funding regardless of the penny tax.

Your proposal for a "huge tax" to fund scarcely used roads would fail even worse in a referendum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area