Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 PM

42 posts, read 73,358 times

Advertisements

Curious if there is a 'art' movie theater in the Greenville area. Something that plays foreign films, non-mainstream yet current domestic films....etc. If there is not one in the area, where is the closest one? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 05:41 PM

241 posts, read 386,562 times
Some folks are trying to set one up. About - The Film House

Old 10-27-2014, 09:48 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartana View Post
Curious if there is a 'art' movie theater in the Greenville area. Something that plays foreign films, non-mainstream yet current domestic films....etc. If there is not one in the area, where is the closest one? Thanks!
There is the Nickelodeon in Columbia.

The Nickelodeon

Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 PM

423 posts, read 898,412 times
Usually any indie films or foreign films are shown at Regal Cinemas at Cherrydale, generally for a limited run of 1 week. I sometimes go to Flat Rock Cinema flatrockcinema.com which is about 35 miles from Greenville up Hwy 25. There is also an art house cinema in Asheville fineartstheatre.com . Upstate Film Society upstatefilms.wordpress.com has a blog where they post indie films and when they will be shown in mainstream theaters.

Greenville International Film Festival last occurred in 2013. I am not sure how often it occurs. I think it just depends on sponsorship.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
The Film House, mentioned above, just had a showing of Rocky Horror at the Thomas Creek brewery off Whitehorse.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 AM

723 posts, read 1,148,882 times
The Film House may get off the ground someday. In the meantime, one of its strong advocates, Upstate Film Society, works with local venues to provide independent film screenings (as also mentioned above). Upstate Film Society | Promoting independent films in Upstate South Carolina

Old 11-06-2014, 02:09 PM

Ok...so there are some options with more hopefully coming. I am giving some thought to relocating to the area in the future (3 years) and just getting the lay of the land. A theater in the area would help ease the relocation in regards to my wife....

Old 11-09-2018, 05:45 PM

Thought I would bump my old post up. Well, it have been 4 years since I posted and indeed, my wife and I are moving to Greenville. Sadly, it seems there has been no progress on an art house movie theater. Does anyone have other updates?

Old 11-09-2018, 06:06 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Furman has a film studies department, you might want to give them a call and see what they have planned. It looks like the chair of the dept. is named Vincent Hausman (at least it was when the following page was last edited:

Film Studies | Interesting Links | Furman University

The other place you might contact is the Upstate Film Society, mentioned in lyricamphibian's reply:

https://upstatefilms.wordpress.com/

Old 11-10-2018, 10:51 AM

446 posts, read 414,715 times
Lately even Cherrydale doesn’t seem to be getting many smaller films. Heck, Suspiria has played in every major market in the state and North Carolina (Columbia, Charleston, Asheville, Raleigh, etc.) but not here. Very pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area