Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:24 PM

11 posts, read 13,868 times

Advertisements

I do check Craigslist. I actually ran an ad for a week and got no responses. Some of the complexes advertise there and I can tell which ones they are because they use exclamation points and all caps in the headlines.

I'm comfortably in Clemson now and can take as much time as I want to look for a place in Greenville. I don't have kids, so I can deal with a neighborhood that's not squeaky clean. I would love to have an updated kitchen with granite tops but know that's not going to happen unless I increase my price range.

The issue I have with the houses for rent here, is that they don't include yard maintenance, water or pest control. This is non-negotiable for me. I've never heard of renting a property where the tenant is responsible for these things. If I have to take care of a yard, I may as well buy a house. Also all of the houses I've looked at so far are dumps and being rented "as is", you know, take it or leave it. Maybe this is because they're being offered through a property manager instead of a private owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
When we were looking for a rental, we found ours on Craigslist. The landlord was awesome! Craigslist is an awesome resource, just do your homework. It most likely will get you the best deal with private owners. You will find something in your price range if you really want to. Trust me, we did it.

How soon are you looking to move? What are your exact expectations? You may not get granite counter tops and such but you can find a clean place with a yard. Is it OK if it's older as long as it's clean and not run down? There's a rental right off the street we rented when first moving here. I believe it's a 3/1. It's 7 miles from downtown and a decent neighborhood.

Last edited by round_room; 10-31-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 12:43 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round_room View Post
The issue I have with the houses for rent here, is that they don't include yard maintenance, water or pest control. This is non-negotiable for me.
I've rented homes in multiple states - some individually owned, others thru property managers - none have ever included yard maintenance, water, and/or pest control - just my observation. In fact, you forgot to include gutter cleaning (if you live anywhere near a tree) - I've had to pay for that as well!

Old 10-31-2014, 12:43 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
The issue I have with the houses for rent here, is that they don't include yard maintenance, water or pest control. This is non-negotiable for me. I've never heard of renting a property where the tenant is responsible for these things. If I have to take care of a yard, I may as well buy a house. Also all of the houses I've looked at so far are dumps and being rented "as is", you know, take it or leave it. Maybe this is because they're being offered through a real estate agent instead of a private owner.
I've rented houses at various stages of my life for over 20 years now. Not one included yard maintenance. The only ones that included water are when the metering was not available like in some duplexes. And none offered to do renovations. It's a rental. They are all "as is."

I think your expectations are a little off on what renting a home entails. The good part is you don't have to fix major problems or have great credit or a down payment, but you still have to mow and pay the utilities.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:50 PM

Live and learn. This is my first encounter with renting houses. I'd say they're definitely not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I've rented houses at various stages of my life for over 20 years now. Not one included yard maintenance. The only ones that included water are when the metering was not available like in some duplexes. And none offered to do renovations. It's a rental. They are all "as is."

I think your expectations are a little off on what renting a home entails. The good part is you don't have to fix major problems or have great credit or a down payment, but you still have to mow and pay the utilities.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:30 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
You might want to consider a renting a Townhome privately as the yard work is taken care of by the association. It's better than just as apt..yet while not a single family home so you don't have to worry about that yard usually.
Also just to add the cost of yard work is dependent on if you have or want a garden. Many times it is just getting someone to mow lawn once in a while..and of course leaves in the fall if there are many tress on property. Each home is different as to how much yard work is needed really. If you keep it simple as just cutting the grass the cost is not much at all.

Last edited by loribell38; 10-31-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 01:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
The issue I have with the houses for rent here, is that they don't include yard maintenance, water or pest control. This is non-negotiable for me. I've never heard of renting a property where the tenant is responsible for these things. If I have to take care of a yard, I may as well buy a house. Also all of the houses I've looked at so far are dumps and being rented "as is", you know, take it or leave it. Maybe this is because they're being offered through a property manager instead of a private owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

I have to agree with Art here.

As a landlord, the tenant was always responsible for yard maintenance, water and all utilities. Pest control depends. If they were dirty people and left food and dirt out to attract insects, they pay to clean up the pests, ants or whatever. I once had a tenant call me because there were spiders on a web in the bedroom corner and she wanted me to hire an exterminator...well, clean the bedroom and vacuum the spiders and they wont be there anymore. Something like a yearly termite inspection would be my responsibility, however. In the case of someone running a multiunit building where one tenant is allowed to grow roaches that infest nearby units, the landlord should also be responsible, as this is not the fault of the offenders neighbors.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:42 PM

A townhome would be perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
You might want to consider a renting a Townhome privately as the yard work is taken care of by the association. It's better than just as apt..yet while not a single family home so you don't have to worry about that yard usually.
Also just to add the cost of yard work is dependent on if you have or want a garden. Many times it is just getting someone to mow lawn once in a while..and of course leaves in the fall if there are many tress on property. Each home is different as to how much yard work is needed really. If you keep it simple as just cutting the grass the cost is not much at all.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:27 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Quote:
A townhome would be perfect!
Great..was hoping that recommendation might help you in some way! Happy to help!

Old 10-31-2014, 07:18 PM

226 posts, read 368,778 times
Town homes and apartments seem the way for you to go. Or a condo. I've also rented a lot of homes, and we have always been responsible for lawn care, small pest issues (like the spiders another poster mentioned - a huge infestation or termites would be the landlord's responsibility unless it was our fault), and all utilities.
The only place that lawn care hasn't been our responsibility was when we lived in an attached patio home (another option to consider for you). The HOA took care of the front yard, and the landlord just had pine straw and mulch in the back so there was no maintenance there.
We are landlords now, I expect the tenants to take care of pretty much everything except for major home repairs or issues.

Check out some of the condos and town homes off of East North Street, across Pleasantburg. Sometimes those come up for rent and they're reasonable. Nice area and not far from downtown. Look near Wade Hampton - some places look a little sketchy and old, but some are pretty nice. The Granite at Taylors is good for the price and proximity to downtown. We didn't have problems there.

With apartments, they have so many units and tenants that they can afford to pay for water and things like that. It helps keep their occupancy rates higher too. You do have to move fast it seems like here with all of the people relocating for the different large businesses moving into the Upstate. This is the first place I've ever heard of that has open houses for rentals. If you find a decent place you like, jump on it.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:43 PM

Thanks! I'll check out this townhome. I've come across Beacon Ridge in my searches. A lot of these places simply don't have anything available right now or the apartments go too quickly. Sometimes they don't return calls or respond to email. Some don't include cost of water and/or electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Ayers View Post
There was a townhome for rent for 750 in Townes at Pine Grove on North Street. That rent is similar to one bedroom at nice apartments in Greenville, a great deal. That is great location near Haywood road.

I stayed at Beacon Ridge apartments up on the Pelham Road ridge at Haywood road intersection with some mountain views for a year. I enjoyed that one. One bedroom prob about 750 right now. Large floorplans compared to newer apartments.

Last edited by round_room; 10-31-2014 at 09:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area