Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 AM

132 posts, read 486,588 times

Advertisements

Is there decent hiking/camping around the Greenville area? My wife and I are seeking a warmer climate, but love the great outdoors - forests, mountains, etc. Is Greenville a good place for these types of activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 12:07 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,072 times
Absolutely! Within the city there are plenty of parks for walking, biking, etc. Head up to Paris Mountain State Park for hiking, biking, camping, fishing, etc. It's only a 10-15 minute drive from my house which is in city limits...but not far from anywhere in Greenville. If you go a little farther north (30-45 minute drives...approx.) you will be near Caesar's Head, Table Rock, Jones Gap, etc. They all have hiking, biking, camping and everything else. There are also places to go in other directions, like towards Lake Jocassee...but I'm not too familiar with it.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 AM

Thanks.

Anyone else have experience hiking/camping in this area?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 AM

131 posts, read 696,353 times
The upstate is one of the best places for hiking/camping in the US and especially in the southeast. This website lists many of the hiking opportunities in the upstate. Also the best link for trail descriptions/locations
Map Page
Their are hundreds of miles in the upstate including the 80 mile long Foothills Trail which goes from Oconee State Park to Table Rock State Park. Other parks: Devils Fork State Park, Cherry Hill Rec., Jones Gap State Park, Lake Hartwell State Park, Burrells Ford, Caesars Head, Natural Bridge Wilderness, etc. This link has all the state run campgrounds and Parks listed
Park Locations: South Carolina State Parks
Their are also hundreds of miles of hiking trails a couple of miles into NC in Dupont State Forest, Pisgah National Forest, Natahala National Forest, Great Smoky Mtns etc. The hiking opportunities are almost endless in the upstate. Also their are hundreds of waterfalls in the upstate and WNC. Here is a list/pictures of some of the waterfalls in the upstate. South Carolina Waterfalls I am a long time hiker and have hiked hundreds of miles of trails around the area. If you need anything specific on a trail, please ask. Hope this helps

Foothills Trail: FTC Foothills Trail Conference
Hiking in WNC: Hiking in Western North Carolina - HIKEWNC.info

Good luck!!

Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 AM

Thanks SCSKier!! - great post, very helpful.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 AM

You're Welcome. There are so many places to list you could easily write a couple of books, which many books have been written. The Appalachian Trail is only 1.5 hours away, the Blue Ridge Parkway is only 1 hour 15 minutes away. They are building a "Palmetto Trail" which is going to go from Oconee State Park to the coast, some 425 miles long. The Swamp Fox trail is located on the coast and is a great hiking trip. The camping at area lakes is almost endless, Lake Hartwell, Lake Jocassee, Lake Keowee, Lake Greenwood, etc. and you can camp almost anywhere at these lake from the shore to on the islands and they have developed campgrounds as-well. The tallest waterfall on the east coast is Whitewater falls and is only an hour away from greenville. The tallest waterfall in south carolina " Raven Cliff Falls is a nice day hike and is only 45 minutes from greenville. Waterfall Trail
I could go on forever, If you have any other questions, please ask.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:52 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSKier View Post
You're Welcome. There are so many places to list you could easily write a couple of books, which many books have been written. The Appalachian Trail is only 1.5 hours away, the Blue Ridge Parkway is only 1 hour 15 minutes away. They are building a "Palmetto Trail" which is going to go from Oconee State Park to the coast, some 425 miles long. The Swamp Fox trail is located on the coast and is a great hiking trip. The camping at area lakes is almost endless, Lake Hartwell, Lake Jocassee, Lake Keowee, Lake Greenwood, etc. and you can camp almost anywhere at these lake from the shore to on the islands and they have developed campgrounds as-well. The tallest waterfall on the east coast is Whitewater falls and is only an hour away from greenville. The tallest waterfall in south carolina " Raven Cliff Falls is a nice day hike and is only 45 minutes from greenville. Waterfall Trail
I could go on forever, If you have any other questions, please ask.
NICE! Thanks for the links! As a native and nature lover in New England I've been searching around Gville for over a year and thought I saw just about everything I needed to see...stick a fork in me because I'm done! You sold me - final nail. LOL

I would assume that the 45 minute and 1 hour drive would turn into 30 minutes and 45 minutes respectively if you were coming from say Travelers Rest?

Thanks again.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:06 AM

Glad to be of help. JViello I would agree on those times from Travelers Rest.
I thought of some activities I left out. There are 7 snow ski resort in NC, all less than 4 hours away. There are about 10 rivers to choose from for some whitewater rafting in NC and SC. Also WNC is the gem mining capital of the south and is always a fun day trip. Here is the link to whitewater falls:
Waterfall Trail
Gville is a great place to live and I think that you will not be disappointed in the outdoor activities this area has to offer.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM

Thanks again for all the input guys, very helpful.

Do you get many crisp/clear days in SC for hiking? What is the best time of year for hiking in SC? I would imagine the middle of the summer is too hot and hazy.

Last edited by michael49; 01-08-2008 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 PM

The best time for hiking in the upstate and WNC is during the winter. The sky is clear, crisp, and cold. The leaves are also off the trees which will give you better views from vistas and summits. Right after a cold front comes thru you can see for a couple hundred miles in some locations. During the summer the "haze" does get bad. Some of the best days have been during the summer, right after a "tropical system" comes thru the area. Their are definitely more crisp/clear days than their are hazy days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area