U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 04:13 PM

169 posts, read 498,871 times

Advertisements

Why are so many houses all electric? I just bought a house. The hot water tank is electric but, the previous tank must have been gas. The gas hookup is there and there is a vent out the wall that is now plugged. Why? Why would anyone switch from gas to electric? The house has gas heat but everything else is electric. am I missing something? Is electric so much cheaper here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,123,468 times
Our home is all electric. We have a different billing rate but I don't know what the difference would be. I'll try to find.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 PM

69 posts, read 286,324 times
In certain places, like Greer where the CPW is a monopoly, gas is outrageous.
I was once charged over $500 for gas alone, for one month, for a 1600 sq ft house, during a cold snap.
If it gets cold out the gas prices go waaay up.

I've yet to get my first bill from Piedmont gas, but i'm scared to see it come.

Paying for gas heat for the last 8 years has been at times impossible.
I would go all electric in a heartbeat.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 AM

288 posts, read 809,520 times
Gas heat is expensive! So much more than electric that when our current gas furnace dies, I'm going to look into replacing it with an electric one. Last month our gas bill was $160 (we only use it for heat, nothing else). The electric bill was only $92. And we keep our house pretty cold (67 during day, 63 at night). We also have a $15 per month fee for the gas pack pilot light even when we aren't using the gas (April-September). I've had all electric houses before and found them nowhere near as expensive, utility-wise.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:09 AM

90 posts, read 329,377 times
Default Gas vs Electric

I once lived in Greensboro Nc, where a lot of places have gas fireplaces.
The locals advised that it is best to have one for winter in times where the power will go out due to ice storms, wind and other reasons. If that is not the case where you live then maybe you wont need gas unless you love cooking ona gas stove.
tcar509

Old 02-10-2008, 02:54 PM

24 posts, read 68,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAZEAZ View Post
Why are so many houses all electric? I just bought a house. The hot water tank is electric but, the previous tank must have been gas. The gas hookup is there and there is a vent out the wall that is now plugged. Why? Why would anyone switch from gas to electric? The house has gas heat but everything else is electric. am I missing something? Is electric so much cheaper here?
2/10/08 Hi! I'm building a home in Boiling Springs, S.C. and it's heated by gas. Hope I'm doing the right thing.......would appreciate any comments. Can reach me at greatspark@sbcglobal.net or here on this board. Thanks...............Tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area