Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 09:18 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,586,951 times

Advertisements

From GSA Business.................

GSA Business | Greenville, SC | Spartanburg, SC | Anderson, SC

Notable quotes from the article............

"Downtown Greenville’s redevelopment has been closely linked to financing from the federal program. Benefactors include the mixed-use Main at Broad development with the Courtyard by Marriott hotel next to City Hall, the Children’s Museum of the Upstate, McBee Station, and the Project One development that has attracted Anthropologie, Tupelo Honey, the CertusBank headquarters, Brooks Brothers and now outdoor gear retailer Orvis to Main and Washington streets."

"Greenville New Markets Opportunity was the only South Carolina-based entity to receive funding."

"Propst credited U.S. Sens. Tim Scott and Lindsey Graham and Congressman Trey Gowdy with helping to secure the New Markets Tax Credit allocation.".............interesting to see Trey Gowdy, the Tea Party poster boy, working to get his home town tax credits but, that's politics. It is a bad idea until your home needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:22 PM

77 posts, read 106,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
From GSA Business.................

GSA Business | Greenville, SC | Spartanburg, SC | Anderson, SC

Notable quotes from the article............

"Downtown Greenville’s redevelopment has been closely linked to financing from the federal program. Benefactors include the mixed-use Main at Broad development with the Courtyard by Marriott hotel next to City Hall, the Children’s Museum of the Upstate, McBee Station, and the Project One development that has attracted Anthropologie, Tupelo Honey, the CertusBank headquarters, Brooks Brothers and now outdoor gear retailer Orvis to Main and Washington streets."

"Greenville New Markets Opportunity was the only South Carolina-based entity to receive funding."

"Propst credited U.S. Sens. Tim Scott and Lindsey Graham and Congressman Trey Gowdy with helping to secure the New Markets Tax Credit allocation.".............interesting to see Trey Gowdy, the Tea Party poster boy, working to get his home town tax credits but, that's politics. It is a bad idea until your home needs it.
I don't agree our home needs it. ALl I'm saying is downtown Greenville is an eligible area per the federal goverments own rules.

I don't think the tea party by default opposes all tax credits. In general we have supported tax credits/breaks over the years to lure good employers to the state. The tea party is just people who focus like a laser on job creation. They don't just talk about it at summits in swanky cities.

I'm not against a tax credit that can benefit poor areas, given I come from a poor area of the state.
I'm against tax breaks and tax handouts to rich developers, like Columbia did with the developer (from Greenville) for the Bull street development (which still does not have any merchants).

If you don't want people who opposed a tax credit or break or subsidy to benefit from, don't support the tax credit, break, or subsidy in the first place.

Show me a project in downtown Greenville that received the same kind of city tax money that the Bull street project is receiving in Columbia?

Old 02-21-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Ayers View Post
I don't agree our home needs it. ALl I'm saying is downtown Greenville is an eligible area per the federal goverments own rules.

I don't think the tea party by default opposes all tax credits. In general we have supported tax credits/breaks over the years to lure good employers to the state. I'm not against a tax credit that can benefit poor areas, given I come from a poor area of the state.
I'm against tax breaks and tax handouts to rich developers, like Columbia did with the developer (from Greenville) for the Bull street development (which still does not have any merchants).

If you don't want people who opposed a tax credit or break or subsidy to benefit from, don't support the tax credit, break, or subsidy in the first place.
A tax credit by nature is a tax break.

According to YOUR leader, most all of the DT development would not have occurred based on the market, it only occurred with assistance from the federal government.

And, Columbia Common is just starting, not sure I would judge the success or failure. Hughes said he already has commitments for 41 retailers before breaking ground. He has shortened the $1b+ development timeline to 10 years, half of the original 20.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:

According to YOUR leader, most all of the DT development would not have occurred based on the market, it only occurred with assistance from the federal government.

And, Columbia Common is just starting, not sure I would judge the success or failure. Hughes said he already has commitments for 41 retailers before breaking ground. He has shortened the $1b+ development timeline to 10 years, half of the original 20.
I think that was the GSA business magazines assertion, not anybody elses. I don't agree with that.

I wouldn't care if ONE had never happened, or any of the rest of it. I just want to go get a pizza and beer at Barley's from time to time, and then stroll down Main Street amongst the beautiful trees and happy people to a pedestrian bridge over a waterfall, then top it off with an ice cream cone at a store in the West End, maybe take in a baseball game at the Boston Red Sox stadium replica.

Your whole premise is based on making these individual projects as important to the downtown experience in Greenville. They clearly are not.

I bet most people in Greeneville metro have no idea what ONE is.

Your conspiracy theory about Greenville being favored for tax credits over Columbia and Charleston is only viable if Sumter and Spartanburg are in on the scheme as our stalking horses. Sumter is east Columbia though.

Last edited by S Ayers; 02-21-2015 at 10:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 09:59 PM

This CEO must never drive on 385 from Simpsonville into downtown. That is a fun drive and a great road. Feel like i'm on a race track. I can't think of an interstate nicer than 385 in the country.

I think it may be the best drive into a city center in the country, with the mountains in the distance.

I also like Haywood Road from 385 over the hill down to north street, and Pelham road torward north street. most other cities don't have roads like this.

This CEO ought to cut the state government a handsome check for new roads. Put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited by S Ayers; 02-21-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 10:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,565,877 times
Quote:

ALL of your quotes are coming from the same rags that you claimed were nonsense bc they quote a Harris Teeter representative and a developer. But now, those same sources seem to provide you with the 'evidence' that you seem to need and you're claiming that every word they print is the gospel. BAHA the hypocrisy is amusing as always. I think it's funny that no current development going on in downtown Greenville is receiving tax credits. As you said yourself-- "Augusta Street is not downtown!" So I suppose the Claussen Bakery renovation doesn't count. You'll be happy to know that A Spartanburg project is receiving tax credits!

It's always the same ****. And you're not who we think you are. We know...

Old 02-21-2015, 10:44 PM

He also has to tie himself up into pretzels because he knocks the ONE development in Greenville, for a tax credit, while supporting the city tax subsidized Bull Street Boondoggle, which is an undeveloped area away from the popular downtown areas in Columbia.

I guess his justification is everybody in Columbia supports government throwing tax revenue at developers for poorly considered project ideas, so therefore they are not hypocrites.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
ALL of your quotes are coming from the same rags that you claimed were nonsense bc they quote a Harris Teeter representative and a developer. But now, those same sources seem to provide you with the 'evidence' that you seem to need and you're claiming that every word they print is the gospel. BAHA the hypocrisy is amusing as always. I think it's funny that no current development going on in downtown Greenville is receiving tax credits. As you said yourself-- "Augusta Street is not downtown!" So I suppose the Claussen Bakery renovation doesn't count. You'll be happy to know that A Spartanburg project is receiving tax credits!

It's always the same ****. And you're not who we think you are. We know...
First, GSA business is not the same as the Greenville News..........HT was noted in the Greenville News as being the "best store in the chain". Second, the quotes were from your city & program leaders who said none of these projects in DT Greenville would be feasible without assistance.........have a problem with it, give them a call................I tend to agree with them, the market is just not that large or mature, no bank would finance an office building in Greenville on spec, the numbers won't work, how hard is that to understand. Third, and more importantly, published numbers from the government have Greenville receiving close to $300m in credits which funded One, hotels, museums etc....Going out on a limb but I bet TC is interested in the Greenville News site (through a local group) due to the credits (even though your local cheerleaders claimed their involvement as some sort of validation of Greenville).

The funny thing is, as usual, you dance around facts in an attempt to make Greenville appear to be the center of development in SC and the south in general. Seems as though you define a "win" as getting a coffee shop so its no surprise that your understanding is a little shallow. Just curious, Whole Foods just announced a DT Charlotte store as part of a 20 story apartment building and 25 story hotel (all without tax credits)..........is that a "win" in your book?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:53 PM

What is your source on the value of the credits that Greenville has received vs other cities? I can't believe you have not offered that source yet.

I have not been able to find anything on the internet that corroborates your number.

Did you just calculate this figure on your own?

I'm surprised Greenville was able to figure out how to get all this cash flow from the federal government but those Democrats down in Columbia could not figure it out. The city of Columbia should have paid Greenville a small fee to help them get some federal government cash flow for the Bull Street Boondoogle, so they didn't have to pay 100 percent of it.

If I was a big government guy, I'd be embarrassed if some tea party types in some hick city like Greenville could figure out how to get federal cash flow and my reps in my progressive city are clueless about how to get money.

Last edited by S Ayers; 02-21-2015 at 11:07 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Ayers View Post
What is your source on the value of the credits that Greenville has received vs other cities? I can't believe you have not offered that source yet.

I have not been able to find anything on the internet that corroborates your number.

Did you just calculate this figure on your own?
Keep looking.

Why are the Greenville Residents so defensive about getting a handout? YOUR leaders, not Gvillesc, said that One, some hotels McBee Station and a lot of other projects would not have been possible without these credits. Bob Hughes even said that Project One was only possiblet because of the tax credits. From a lending standpoint, no bank would touch these projects without the credits. So, why not own up to it?

The current projects DT are mainly apartment based which is the flavor of the day for lending. Some markets are overbuilding and some are not. Charlotte's rental rates have risen at rates that are at the highest in the country, even with 10k units under construction and 10k more on the way. Greenville is on the other end of the spectrum.............close to no employment growth DT and folks want to build apartments, not a great formula for sustained success. Of course, from an architect's view, great lighting and sidewalks without cracks are a "win".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area