U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:24 PM

843 posts, read 734,817 times

Advertisements

As I sit here wrapped in a blanket in my NYS home, I'm rehashing all the reasons a move to SC will be good for my husband and I. We are thinking of the Greenville area, from TR to Simpsonville. However, I know the temperature can get cold there and occasional receive some snow. How cold does it get upstate SC? How much snow is there? I know it will never be like it is up here, but I don't know how bad it does get. BTW, I can't tolerate the sweltering heat either- I get physically sick with diarrhea and nausea. That's why we were thinking upstate SC. Any info will help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM

1,867 posts, read 1,827,515 times
Well, we do get some extremes here; it does occasionally get cold, but the snowfall here is nothing like up north; some years it does not even snow. However, the summers get pretty hot and humid, and summer is May-October here. The nice thing about living here is you can ecape to the mountains when it gets too hot .

Old 12-02-2014, 02:10 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,018,633 times
I'd say we typically get one real accumulating snowstorm per year.

It's hard to answer "how cold does it get" exactly, but it's definitely on average warmer than New York.

The Upstate gets pretty hot in the summers, but it's not insanely humid, and it's usually not without a breeze. But I'm not sure of any one place you could go to avoid both very cold winters and hot summers.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:53 PM

690 posts, read 895,452 times
Winters are milder here than in Otsego County (where I was born, by the way) and summer temperatures are generally mitigated by the nearby mountains, especially in the northern part of Greenville County, e.g., around Travelers Rest.

On average, there are 221 sunny days per year in Greenville County. The July average high temperature is around 87 degrees, though temperatures can top out in the 90s a few days of the year. Summer temperatures rarely top 100 degrees (although car thermometers are known to read higher). Our comfort index, which is based on humidity during the hot months, is a 38 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable. The US average comfort index is 44. The January average low temperature is 31. Occasionally, however, temperatures can dip to the low teens.

Greenville County gets, on average, 53 inches of rain per year. The US average is 37. (Otsego The number of days with measurable precipitation is 112. Average winter nowfall is 3 inches. The average US city gets 25 inches of snow per year.

By comparison, Otsego NY gets 41 inches of rain per year and snowfall averages 80 inches. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is 152. On average, there are 163 sunny days per year in Otsego. The July high averages around 80 degrees. The average January low is 12. The comfort index is a 55 out of 100 (remember, higher is more comfortable).

You didn't ask, but the overall cost of living is marginally lower in Otsego, 94 our of 100 versus 96 in Greenvlle County (Simpsonville ranks at 102, TR at 93).

Old 12-02-2014, 03:08 PM

Thanks to everyone's replies. Lyricamphibian- We are in Otsego Cty also- Cherry Valley- 1 mile over from Sharon Springs. It's only 12/2 and we are so over winter even before it officially starts. I know we can't find the perfect climate, but at this point in time, with medical problems for Hubbie and myself, I think we can handle the heat more than the cold. The cost of living I think will be a trade off. We will be retiring as soon as we sell our house which is a farm (we are re-homing our animals as we "speak", with 103 acres. In SC we will downsize to small if not tiny, so I think we may end up ahead. Thanks everyone.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:25 PM

2,967 posts, read 4,164,019 times
Its been hovering between about 55 and 70 this week, Days going from overcast to clear and sunny; some leaves still falling. Nothing bone chilling.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:41 PM

11,782 posts, read 26,699,746 times
Yes, I was just going to mention how beautiful it's been the past couple of days. It's been getting close to 70 and sunny! Yes, sun is a big deal especially when you live up north and rarely get it for months at a time. We know originally being from PA.

The thing about here is that it does get cold (of course not like up north) but it warms up in the day. The nights can get around 20 degrees give or take in the winter but then in the day it will warm up to mid to upper 40's with sun. It fluctuates as well so you may get a cold snap but then it's not really cold for a couple days.

As for the summers, it does get hot but once again it cools off in the evening and morning. To us it's a cake walk coming from FL. It doesn't get near as humid as FL. In FL, it starts in April and doesn't quit until October. Here, the warmer months are June, July and August. We know what you are talking about when you say you get physically sick. That doesn't happen here. It's funny you say you could handle the heat better than the cold because I feel the same way

When they say snow here, it's nothing like up north. Last year, it only snowed twice. One time, it was wet snow and the other time, we got about 6 inches but it melts pretty quickly. (a couple days) I heard that any accumulation of snow is unusual here.

I must say, since moving here, Greenville has the most comfortable climate. I don't like the cold but it's short lived. You get 4 distinct seasons which is a plus as well.

Last edited by beckycat; 12-02-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 12-02-2014, 08:23 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,117,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I'd say we typically get one real accumulating snowstorm per year.

It's hard to answer "how cold does it get" exactly, but it's definitely on average warmer than New York.

The Upstate gets pretty hot in the summers, but it's not insanely humid, and it's usually not without a breeze. But I'm not sure of any one place you could go to avoid both very cold winters and hot summers.
If you want to avoid cold winters AND hot summers, try Monterey California. Rarely gets below 50 degrees or above 75. Of course, it is insanely expensive to live there.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:53 AM

Thanks to all the posts. Yes California and Hawaii have "ideal" weather, but it is expensive. I've lived in Cali and brown needs to be your favorite color because there's no rain. And Hawaii? My daughter lived there. A deli cup of coffee is $7, a gallon of milk is $9. Homelessness is rampant. After you see every thing there's no where to go and very boring. She couldn't wait to leave there. So I guess SC is the next best thing.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM

11,782 posts, read 26,699,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Thanks to all the posts. Yes California and Hawaii have "ideal" weather, but it is expensive. I've lived in Cali and brown needs to be your favorite color because there's no rain. And Hawaii? My daughter lived there. A deli cup of coffee is $7, a gallon of milk is $9. Homelessness is rampant. After you see every thing there's no where to go and very boring. She couldn't wait to leave there. So I guess SC is the next best thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or