Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 10:36 AM

53 posts, read 103,261 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are a family of 4 ( 2 year old and a baby) and I wanted some info on where are the good neighborhoods close to grocery,school and departmental stores and places to avoid. How is the market for IT jobs in general?

Is the property tax very high in Greenville?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 12:02 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,912,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davef22 View Post
Hi All,

We are a family of 4 ( 2 year old and a baby) and I wanted some info on where are the good neighborhoods close to grocery,school and departmental stores and places to avoid. How is the market for IT jobs in general?

Is the property tax very high in Greenville?

Thank you!
Hi there,

Greenville is a nice place to raise a family. You will find many good neighborhoods around with good schools. All of the suburbs have grocery stores, department sores, etc. Some nice areas are Greer, Taylors, Simpsonville, Mauldin, Travelers rest, Easley and most areas of Greenville. It depends where you work on choosing an area. This area is known for manufacturing companies. I'm not sure how it is for IT jobs, you will just have to research it.

Property tax is low here.

BTW, I moved from Orlando area and I call it a good choice. What made you research Greenville? Just curious.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:45 PM

53 posts, read 103,261 times
Thanks for that info! A recruiter just asked in passing about a position at Greenville and so then started looking around this area as well. Any idea of how working at Hubbell is?

Old 12-16-2014, 12:51 PM

226 posts, read 366,740 times
We moved up here for my husband's new job (IT- networking) earlier this year and love it - we don't have kids but it seems like there are a lot of family friendly places for people with little ones to go.
As far as IT work, my husband is a Network Engineer and is called at least once a week from different recruiters (usually they find him on LinkedIn) about IT jobs in the Greenville area. We didn't realize what a big tech hub it is here, but there are a lot of IT companies and the large manufacturing companies also have a high need for IT.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:41 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,431,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davef22 View Post
Thanks for that info! A recruiter just asked in passing about a position at Greenville and so then started looking around this area as well. Any idea of how working at Hubbell is?
Hubbell, as I hear, is a good place to work. However, I know they hire a lot of contract or temp workers but I know a lot of the IT jobs here are for contract or temp. Some employers want around the clock availability. I have a friend who was let go with no notice from Hubbell but she loved working there while she was a trusted temp.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM

271 posts, read 793,121 times
We moved here from Jacksonville as well (though we had a year in Asheville first). We just helped MIL move here this past Aug from Jax. I think you will love it here, we do! Way better than Jacksonville. No where NEAR the crime rates. Most of life is much cheaper...groceries, utilities (JEA are crooks!!), gas (we are about $2.19 right now!). And traffic is much better. Rush hour traffic is nothing like I-95 or I-295 in Jax. We get four seasons, though all are mild. A beautiful cool fall (you don't sweat on Halloween!), mild/cold winters with a wee bit of possible snow days (that last just a day or two...just long enough for the children to have some fun and then it melts away!), and warm springs, and hot humid summers. Honestly though, Jax has been having some cold spells in the winter, so when I see my friends in Jax complaining about the cold days during winter, it's not usually that much colder here. So our winters are not too much worse than Jacksonville's....just maybe we have more days of the cold. But it's been in the 60's most of the last week. Flip-flips are still doable in December here!

As far as areas to live, the Five Forks area of Greenville/Simpsonville reminds me alot of the Julington Creek Plantation area in Jax. Most stores you need are right there, lots of newer/mid-upscale family friendly developments, and not really that far from everything else one might need. Of course it may depend on where you work, as Five Forks is really on the fringe of Greenville (much like the JCP for Jax). THere are several little suburb towns that blend into Greenville that all have pockets of good housing as well. Simpsonville/Greer/Mauldin/Taylors....and then you start getting a bit further out into the more country type suburbs.

I think that the only thing that Greenville can't beat Jax in is the beach. When we lived in Jax, we could load up the car and drive 15 minutes out to Mickler's Landing and spend the day at the beach, and be home for dinner. Here in Greenville, it's 3-4 hours to the beach, depending on which direction you go, so it's gonna have to be a weekend trip. So that's probably the ONLY negative I'd say to Greenville, lol. On the flip side, REAL mountains are only about an hour away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area